Im Sick Of This! Help!!??!

GoldenMotor.com

Blackrain2012

Aug 12, 2010
San Diego
My back wheel is causing all the problems. I have a skinny ass tire on there to keep the chain from shredding it. also i have a spacer behind the sprocket to push it out more, and its still close!!! i cant even use my brake arm, i have a cheap pair of caliper brakes on there for now. i bought the brake arm extension from spooky tooth, and there is not enough room b/t the frame and sprocket for a brake arm. if i make the spacer thinner, my chain will hit the tire!!! where can i buy a premade rear wheel that is completely assembled with no problems????!!!!

im prepared to sell the thing for 50 bucks if i can even get that out of it

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Have you considered dishing the wheel? You loosen all the spokes on the side that's too close a couple of turns and tighten the opposite side the same number of turns. You would be surprised at how much you can move the rim over.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Maybe I spoke too soon. A little experience with lacing wheels would go a long way. But, hey, you've got nothing to loose and I bet you could pick it up fast. You buy one of those spoke tools you've been seeing on-line, or from any bike shop. The tool you need is a spoke wrench. It has a lot of little slots to fit all different sizes of spoke nipples. The nipple is what the spoke screws into at the rim and has at least two flats for your new wrench. They are standard right hand thread like most nuts and bolts. Turn one way to tighten, and the other way to loosen. The secret is to count the turns on one side and duplicate it on the other. Remember to go only a couple turns at a time because a little is a lot when your dealing with spokes. Once you learn about wheels, you will never have a bike shop do your work for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
Hope today is a better day for you and your project. I wouldnt dish the wheel if you didnt know how to do it..If you think your having problems now hold on lol..http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/co...age=vmj_ace.tpl&product_id=461&category_id=52 If you have a dished sprocket like most come with, you can turn that pretty chrome around and it will put the chain out farther for you. I had to do this on a bike I built for a guy. You also need to open up the sprocket hole or grind down edge on dust cover. Bend the brake arm a little out for bolt clearance . Good luck,keep a cool head,ask for help. If you lived by me i would pop in and help ,but sorry this is only way i can help.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Probably good advice on dishing the wheel. Your local bike shop can do it if you let them know how far over you want to go. I always use a drum sander in my drill press on high speed to enlarge the center hole. Doesn't take too long. Then I countersink the sprocket mounting holes and install 1/4'' flush bolts (no bolt heads to worry about). I'm a couple hours north if you want help. Let me know.

weegenc

Sep 18, 2010
Charlotte nc
DUDE TOTALLY BEEN THERE! I have a huffy frame and the rear wheel, the way i mounted it, would never have enough clearance. During the time being the breaking system broke which made me get a new back coaster wheel. After i mounted it all the problems i had with the tire being too big, the chain rubbing, the wheel hitting the frame disappeared. The bike runs like **** on wheels. Wish i would have known about the fix sooner.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Dishing the wheel will make the bike "dog track" and your wheels won't be aligned...not a good way to ride.

Have you bent the brake arm to clear? Also, as long as the chain is not rubbing the tire excessively, there should be not problem.