engine clog is really tight and hard to turn

GoldenMotor.com

bikerboy0234

May 26, 2010
austin
when i try and turn the chain or pedal the engine doesnt give way. the clog or gear the the chaing is attached to ont he engine is reall stiff and is really hard to turn. havent used the engine yet just installed it. Anyone know how to fix this issue? really need help here!:-||

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A question I gotta ask: Is the engine drive chain removed from the bike before you try to turn the engine sprocket?
Trying to turn the engine over by twisting only the chain sprocket it usually a difficult task.
It is easy until the piston comes up on the compression stroke, then the difficulty begins.
Have you tried to turn it with the spark plug removed? That should make it relatively easy because there won't be any compression. I suggest trying this to determine if there is something binding up inside the engine.
If that does not work, a possible bind could be the crankshaft and clutch gears could be matched up too tight, the gear teeth are not meshing smoothly. Another possibility is that one of the bearings are stiff to turn or it could be a bad bearing even though it's new. Sadly, being new does not always mean it's good.
Removing the crank gear is not difficult with the puller tool supplied with the kits; If you have to take it apart that far.
Removing the gear will isolate the engine from the transmission and let you determine weather the crank is the stiff problem or the transmission is the problem.