Cant find the right Spedometer

GoldenMotor.com

Bigredgasbike

Apr 2, 2010
California
I built a gasbike back in september, and it is really fun to see the looks on peoples faces when they see it, but last week i tried putting a spedometer, the kind that has the sensor that attaches to the front fork and has a magnet on one of the spokes, and a wire going up to the display on the handle bars, and when the engine isnt running it works fine, but when i start it, the spedometer freaks out and says anything from 0.0mph to 99.0mph. I think the vibration from the engine made it do that, anyway,Anyone have any recomendations on what kind of spedometer will work for my bike? Thanks.

Last edited:

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I built a gasbike back in september, and it is really fun to see the looks on peoples faces when they see it, but last week i tried putting a spedometer, the kind that has the sensor that attaches to the front fork and has a magnet on one of the spokes, and a wire going up to the display on the handle bars, and when the engine isnt running it works fine, but when i start it, the spedometer freaks out and says anything from 0.0mph to 99.0mph. I think the vibration from the engine made it do that, anyway,Anyone have any recomendations on what kind of spedometer will work for my bike? Thanks.
Buy a Schwinn 17 Speedometer. I have one and it works great even when the engine is on. It has a lot of cool features on it too.

schwinn 17, Sporting Goods, Collectibles. Great deals on eBay!

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
I have a Sigma BC1200 that worsk well on my HF 79cc build. Before this I had it on a two stroke weedeater bike and it worked on that one too.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
^ this guy here knows the true reason.

The stock wire and spark plug boot are not RF sheilded, in other words. its a chunk of basic copper wire.

Your speedometer works off the same principal pulse rotatation of a magnet passing a pickup

Your magneto (magnet-magneto see the relation here?) Does teh same thing to generate a spark!

its tripping it out :)

Any motorcycle stealership should carry plug wire that is shielded, look at the end of the wire it should have an outer cover, an inner "sheilding cover" and of course the wire in the middle, thats what you need.

OR you can get a resistor type spark plug, any auto parts store will have one. for example, a NGK BR5HS

Might as well grab the good wire a good NGK boot and a better plug all at once and be done with it!

avnostlga

Mar 31, 2010
California
I have an old Huret cable type speedo, with odometer. Look on Ebay. Used can be found for around $30.00 including cable and hub spinner. Be sure to measure the distance between your handlebars and front hub. That will determine the cable length you need. NOS speedos come up but not too often. Benefit there is that you can have an accurate odometer reading for your engines' mileage if you install it when you build your bike.

chrisE

Mar 1, 2010
san pedro,ca. U.S.A.
if you have an iphone buy this:
Bike Handlebar Mount for Apple iPhone 3G RAP-274-AP6
then down load one on many apps that have a gps based speedometer, no cables no muss no fuss also if you want to remove it easily to preserve the "look" of your bike(or to use it on other bikes) when showing it off you can. some of them have a travel log that can be saved so u know how much mileage you are putting on your bike.well thats what im planning to do any ways

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
i bought a schwinn digital speedo at walmart for $10 and it works fine
Ditto on the shwinn
I did and it didn't - much depends on the wiring of the bike and it's routing, even speedometer placement.

As previously mentioned, a resistor plug fixed that right up - NGK plugs run the same numbers, they jus' add an "R" for resistor, so it's easy to get yer favorite. Or you could go w/a resistor cap... just not both ;)