Strong Drive rim

GoldenMotor.com

stewart

Jul 21, 2008
i am looking to build a strong reliable drive wheel around my Staton chain drive hub. What 26" rim would be the strong and handle 12 gauge (or possibly 10g) spokes. Anyone use a 21" Excel dirtbike rim w/ bike tire??? or drill out the Sun mammoth? im 160lbs and its for a rack mount 2 stroke on a mtb thanks

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I know there is a size of motorcycle tire that will fit on the 4" wide Schwinn chopper rims, because people on bicycle forums have talked about it and even posted pictures. I do not know what that tire size is myself, however. They do say that the motorcycle tire is MUCH heavier than the Schwinn bicycle tire, and it is dreadful to pedal.

I don't know of any motorcycle rims that will fit right on "regular-width" bicycle rims of any current size, but I don't know anything about motorcycle tire sizes.

-------

The Worksman rims are pretty strong, but then the steel ones will not allow using rim brakes (because the rim edges are rolled, not flat). So you will need some kind of hub braking, if you have brakes at all (now that's going O-L-D school!.... ;) -)

And really, rim strength isn't usually a problem, even with cheap rims. The spokes breaking is the main thing, and you can drill out the holes in any rim to accommodate the Worksman 11g spokes.
~

hawaiioutdoors

Jun 18, 2008
I had an excel 21x1.6 dirtbike rim laced to mtb rear hub. The person who assembled the wheel used 9g spokes coz he said he couldn't find any spokes with the nipples that would fill the spoke holes.
It is just too heavy...I think I put $250 in on that experiment ( cost of rim, hub and assembly) it sits in the garage to remind me of where my money goes.
The dirtbike tire is even more heavy...

The dirtbike 21 rim is almost equal in diameter to the bicycle 26 inch rim...but I dont think it is the solution to the motored bicycle dilema of finding a stong and lite wheel.

warner

Jun 5, 2008
ELGIN, IL
i am looking to build a strong reliable drive wheel around my Staton chain drive hub. What 26" rim would be the strong and handle 12 gauge (or possibly 10g) spokes. Anyone use a 21" Excel dirtbike rim w/ bike tire??? or drill out the Sun mammoth? im 160lbs and its for a rack mount 2 stroke on a mtb thanks

Are you having trouble with your spokes on a Staton chain drive kit? I have a rack mount Staton chain drive kit on my bike, and ordered a back wheel from Staton when I ordered the kit. The one he recommended to me for my use (I wanted to run a 1.5" wide tire for less rolling resistance) was this:

26" x 2.00" Ryno Lite # 47694 Alum. Silver Anod, with rivets,
14 gauge spokes. 48 Hole 1" wide rim at the top, part number 03 4087 5627 $77.50

This was the laced up wheel, ready to go. I have about 500 miles on it, without any problems with spokes. I need to have the wheel trued up, but that's about it...

Warner

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
just for reference, in case you haven't seen one, here's a steel Worksman rim paired up with an alloy Weinmann rim.

the Worksman takes 11g. spokes and the Weinmann takes 12g.

i've had 26x2.3 tires on both rims, and they fit fine, even on the skinnier Weinmann.

(i ordered the rims unchromed so i could make them pretty, but they normally come chromed steel. you can get alloy ones too, but i dunno what color they come in. silver, i think.)

Attachments

jg767

May 28, 2008
I just laced up a 36 hole Mammoth rim yesterday with 10 gauge spokes from Buchanan's Spoke and Rim. I put it side by side with a Rhyno Lite rim and it is much beefier! I drilled out the eyelets on my drillpress to accept 1/4 inch nipples, and then I laced it 3 cross to my Staton hub. The 10 gauge spokes are probably overkill, you could do just fine with 12 gauge spokes. I found some the other day for 26 cents apiece at Niagara Cycle Works through Amazon. That's a lot less expensive than the 10 gauge spokes. I just happened to have them. BTW, I just put this wheel on myStaton rackmount inside chain drive a few hours ago. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Maybe not for a few days, a northeaster started a couple of hours ago and we're expecting 15 inches of snow! If you're only 160 pounds, 12 gauge spokes and a Mammoth rim will be more than adequate. Good luck!

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i agree with bairdco. i ordered a worksman bike recently and was blown away by the wheels, those thins have got some serious weight to them, his pictures don't do them justice.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Check out Pacesetter's thread "Roadmaster Briggs Bike pics". He has motorcycle rims with heavy spokes.