TollyFab MK2 MOD01 - first bike

GoldenMotor.com

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Test ride results:
Chain tensioner is working great, everything feels tight, low vibes.
Carb is going to take some work to get dialed in. Cannot get to idle for more than 5 seconds. Acceleration is quick to 10 MPH, then drops off. Hard to find right throttle placement. Wide open bogs it down, about 1/3 throttle seems to be a sweet spot.
Speed; 29 MPH steady on level ground, moderate incline 24MPH, steep hill it couldn't do it.
I got up to 33MPH going down a hill and had to back it off.
It may be the long intake causing the idle and throttle response issue. I will have to tune it a bit more before I am ready for the ride to work (15 miles).
Overall I am very happy with it.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Test ride results:
Chain tensioner is working great, everything feels tight, low vibes.
Carb is going to take some work to get dialed in. Cannot get to idle for more than 5 seconds. Acceleration is quick to 10 MPH, then drops off. Hard to find right throttle placement. Wide open bogs it down, about 1/3 throttle seems to be a sweet spot.
Speed; 29 MPH steady on level ground, moderate incline 24MPH, steep hill it couldn't do it.
I got up to 33MPH going down a hill and had to back it off.
It may be the long intake causing the idle and throttle response issue. I will have to tune it a bit more before I am ready for the ride to work (15 miles).
Overall I am very happy with it.
Tolly,
I suggested the intake as being too long earlier in this thread.......hope you figure it out...

Laters,
Salty.shft.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
I was just thinking that maybe it is the break in fuel mixture 18:1 I am running causing the top end problem. Maybe just too rich at this time.

Anyone notice performance issues using 18:1 fuel?

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
I was just thinking that maybe it is the break in fuel mixture 18:1 I am running causing the top end problem. Maybe just too rich at this time.

Anyone notice performance issues using 18:1 fuel?
Tolly,
If it's the initial break-in period ( couple tanks )...it's best to run it at 16:1....after that...I use a 32:1......some people even have gone onto 50:1....I think that's a bit extreme ....each kit is different....they're girls yanno ?. LOL......

Laters,
Salty.shft.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Last night I pulled the carb to troubleshoot my fuel/running problems.
When I took the bowl off the brass tube with jet fell out. So I secured it back and adjusted the float to be up a bit more. I screwed the throttle slide back and tested the travel and noticed the slide was twisting in the barrel and sticking halfway. The guide pin that aligns the slide was no pressed in all the way. So I pressed the pin back, reassembled and went for a ride.
At first there was not much improvement. Bogging down anything over ½ throttle, will not idle, could not get in the powerband. After 1 mile and dying trying to go up a hill, I turned around and like a switch it started going very well. I hit 30MPH in no time, I pushed to full throttle and it stayed on the pipe for over a mile slight incline, I also was able to get it to idle for more than 5 seconds. So I think I may have solved an issue and on my way to happy biking.

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Went on an extended test ride ~30 miles
Bike performed wonderfully. I checked all bolts and connections, nothing was loose or broken from what I saw. Chain needed slight adjustment on tension. I didn't measure fuel usage yet, looked about 1/3 tank was used.
So I am ready to start commuting on it and rack up some miles.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Went on an extended test ride ~30 miles
Bike performed wonderfully. I checked all bolts and connections, nothing was loose or broken from what I saw. Chain needed slight adjustment on tension. I didn't measure fuel usage yet, looked about 1/3 tank was used.
So I am ready to start commuting on it and rack up some miles.
Hey Tolly,
Feels great doesn't it ? :).........after your initial build you're going to want to build even more....I'm working on procuring a new bike now for another build....a GT Kustom Kruiser.....since my first build was a nightmare due to the tightness of the frame and multiple gearing I've decided to go with a simple one speed with coaster brakes and will be adding a disc brake to the front.....here's a snap of the desired bike.....

Laters,
Salty

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Just My 2 Cents, I Could Never Understand The 16:1 Oil Ratio. To Me That Seems Almost Like Diesel Fuel. For Over 30 Yrs I Ran All My Chain Saws At 42:1 With Good And With Cheap Mix Oil. ( Full Time Tree Service With Several Employees). Only One Saw Put Rod Thru The Block, I Think They Put Straight Gas In It, I Was Not On The Job. That Was Close To 30 Yrs Ago. Have Never Had To Over Haul Any Saw. Just Clean A Carb = Rarely. Just Replace Chains, Sprockets, Saw Bars, And The Roller Tips Now And Then. The Cheaper Saws With The Vaccum Chain Oilers Are A Pita. Ran Amsoil In My 600 Hp Big Block Ford (454 Cid.) In The 1970`s. Plan On Running Amsoil And Opt 2 In Mab. Imho. Just A Thought. Ron

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Just My 2 Cents, I Could Never Understand The 16:1 Oil Ratio. To Me That Seems Almost Like Diesel Fuel. For Over 30 Yrs I Ran All My Chain Saws At 42:1 With Good And With Cheap Mix Oil. ( Full Time Tree Service With Several Employees). Only One Saw Put Rod Thru The Block, I Think They Put Straight Gas In It, I Was Not On The Job. That Was Close To 30 Yrs Ago. Have Never Had To Over Haul Any Saw. Just Clean A Carb = Rarely. Just Replace Chains, Sprockets, Saw Bars, And The Roller Tips Now And Then. The Cheaper Saws With The Vaccum Chain Oilers Are A Pita. Ran Amsoil In My 600 Hp Big Block Ford (454 Cid.) In The 1970`s. Plan On Running Amsoil And Opt 2 In Mab. Imho. Just A Thought. Ron

A bicycle is NOT a chain saw....where as I can see your point of view..( I owned a landscape/lawn maintenance firm for 27 years ).....it just seems good advice to * break in * a motor....would you like it if you were haulin' ass down a road and all of a sudden....*BAM*....your motor failes due to incorrect fuel/oil ratio REQUIRED during a break in period ?.....there's a reason they tell us to break the motors in....these are CHINESE motors....what's the downside of using a tad more oil for the first couple tanks ?. better safe than sorry I say.....just my dimes worth.....

Thanks,
Saltybrnot

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Hey Tolly,
Feels great doesn't it ? :).........after your initial build you're going to want to build even more....I'm working on procuring a new bike now for another build....a GT Kustom Kruiser.....since my first build was a nightmare due to the tightness of the frame and multiple gearing I've decided to go with a simple one speed with coaster brakes and will be adding a disc brake to the front.....here's a snap of the desired bike.....

Laters,
Salty
Hehe, right on, I am hooked now. I agree 100% the frame choice on this first build was a challenge. I did learn lots and will ride it into the ground.
That is a cool frame, good choice look forward to seeing the build.

Motor on!

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Hehe, right on, I am hooked now. I agree 100% the frame choice on this first build was a challenge. I did learn lots and will ride it into the ground.
That is a cool frame, good choice look forward to seeing the build.

Motor on!

Thanks Tolly....it's always appreciated when a fellow enthusiast remarks with sound advice....I will keep all of us informed if and when that next build occurs....and I love how your first build turned out....let us know how it maintains.....

Thanks,
Saltybrnot

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
Made a new intake for the bike today. Shorter, less angle, better quality. Big difference in performance. It runs smoother, has wider powerband, and actually accelerates up hills it would not before. I got 3 more MPH on top end than with previous setup. Well that is what I noticed on the short test ride I just did.
I made a new flange out of 0.25" mild steel plate, more than 2x thicker than the stock flange. After welding it together I did a little port work on the inside, nothing major but opened it up some and cut the gasket to match. I will get some detail shots later. I lowered the carb so I could fit the throttle cable and keep the carb inline with intake. I used the clutch cable bracket I made earlier and just moved it to the outside of the engine case. This will work for now until I get a new one made.

Last edited:

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Great forum here, has helped my first project greatly.
The TollyFab MK2 MOD01
I started with a Grubee Skyhawk 66cc kit. Bike is a Schwinn Skyliner. I had planned to use a Trek 820 but it was too small and needed frame mods to fit. I was skeptical when I ordered the kit, but it has met my expectations. I quickly threw this together a couple days ago and have some tweaking to do. I had to modify the intake and move carb to side to clear the frame. The bike has grip shifts on it, so I couldn't use the twist throttle. I robbed a thumb trottle off a mini atv I had in the shop. The Muffler would not clear the pedals so I cut it off and will relocate. After the first test ride I am hooked, these are a blast. I have a small metal fab shop and look forward to making some custom rides. So here is a sneak peek of my first one, more to follow.

Tolly,
I just re-installed my carb minus the modified intake.....simple clockwise rotation of the carb at http://thatsdax.com/about 37 degrees.....no more bullcrap long intake with lots of linkage....INSTANT throttle response....I apologize for the misleading information regarding both yours and my issues regarding the build on our Skyliners.....so far it has worked FLAWLESSLY......snapshots to follow....yes they are a tight fit but I did it with simple handtools and NO machining at all......just a heads up that not everything you read here in the forum is gospel.......I was just bored and decided to see what would happen.....:)

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Last edited:

T0lly

Aug 11, 2009
Sapulpa, OK
I saw another MB using our Skyliner frame and noticed he just rotated the carb to clear. I was wondering how that worked out. Yes please post pics. Thanx.

I made a rear cargo rack out of some scrap metal and set it up to hold my old motorcycle saddlebags. Now I got room for tools, spare fuel, rain gear, jacket, bread, and a case of beer.

Tim Mills

Oct 9, 2009
Mississippi
hey im new to this but you do some good work i was thinking when i do my build i saw a dual exhaust pipe on ebay wan to run it down th center tube like you an have the ends come out beside the tires underneath the back forks sort of like the kickstand looks i have a rear kick stand so i could use the original kickstand hole to to support the exhaust