Another Chopper Build

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2Door I just went through your other builds post and dude.. that is one of the best builds ive seen yet.. can't wait to watch this one in progress.
Thanks guys.

Braddo, I hope this one is as successful as the other one. If it rides and runs as good, I'll be happy.

Silverbear,

The headlights I've used on several builds came from old 70s vintage emergency egress lights. Those battery powered ones that come on when there is a power failure in commercial buildings. They are steel, unlike everything today which are plastic.
This is my last one. Too bad, don't think there are any left anywhere that I know of. I'm glad I had this one. They use a 6 or 12 volt 55 watt sealed beam lamp. I carry a 12v SLA battery to power them.

I'm going to bob the rear fender today. I'll post before and after pictures later.

Tom

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't you love it when the mail man comes with one of those packages with the eagle on it?

This arrived today. I know you've heard me preach about the reliability of the old rag joint and I've always been a DYI kind of guy but for this bike I just wanted to try a sprocket adapter to see if they're as great as everyone says.

Pirate makes one that fits the Nexus 3 speed coaster hub which is what the Switchblade comes with. At first glance anyone would be impressed with the quality of the manufacturing of this part. Very precision appearance and pleasingly machined surface.

I haven't installed the sprocket yet because I want to get some measurements for how much to bob the rear fender but I can't do that until I decide on my seat attachment to the frame. I didn't want to remove the rear wheel several times. Lazy, I know. But I just had to put the hub part on to see how it looked. So far I'll say one thing; this aftermarket part looks a darn sight prettier than the old rag.

I'll keep you posted and here's one idea for a seat shape.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
WHat is an HT?
kklan,

HT is a generic term used to describe the Chinese 2 stroke engine. HT, short for 'Happy Time' which was the name of one of the earliest bicycle engine kits to be made available in the Untited States and manufactured in China.

Some of us still use the term as well as China Girl, and a few other less flattering names depending upon your success using them. :)

Tom

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Hey Tom- Bikes coming along nice pics. I used the method you described on another build for a seat on a chopper im slow-building- thanks ffor the tip. This bike is going to be a looker as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks, Chain.
I'm going to start on the steel seat pan tomorrow and I'll post some progress photos.
This seat is going to be a little more of a challenge, me thinks. Multiple compound curves and maybe a springer if my plans work out.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Started on the seat pan frame today. I knew those multiple compound curves were going to be a challenge but I surprised myself by getting it right on the first try. I used 3/8" cold rolled round stock and weded two pieces together for the first bends then clamped them in a vice opposite each other for the other bends. Anytime you try to make a mirror image of a piece it's difficult but I got lucky. Here's the first photos. More tomorrow when I weld the cross pieces in.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Are you going to have to cut the sprocket center hole out to fit over the end of the hub?

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
No. The sprocket that came with the Pirate hub adapter has a large hole that goes over the Nexus coaster brake dust cover with no interference.

Tom
Sweet. The reason I ask was because the dust cover looked kind of big.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did some more seat work today. Using an old Schwinn saddle I cut out the frame and used the spring perches and adapted them to my seat pan frame. I'm hoping this will work and soften the ride a little. When it comes time for upholstery I want to use a very high density foam which should help even more. The Captain America seat is nice but it can get uncomfy after twenty or thirty miles. I want this one to be something I can sit my skinny butt on and not feel it the day after a long ride.

From the springs down to the drop outs will be 3/8" round stock that should support the seat and me nicely. I'll get those done tomorrow and I'll post an update.

Tom

Attachments

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Looking good. I can't wait to see this thing with a motor in it. Did you decide on the clone motor? Either way you decide to go I'm sure it will look great. I'm thinking about a second build but IDK what yet?? Keep informed on this bike my friend.

Ride safe,

Frank

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Last winter when Velodrome and I were building our bikes, he and I both purchased some aftermarket rear axle adjusters. They were both machined aluminum pieces that although did what they were designed to do were a little pricy.

I'm watching my money on this bike and while sitting and staring at it a couple of days ago I hit upon an idea for rear axle adjusters that would do what I wanted and cost next to nothing to make.
A trip to Ace Hardware provided me with two 3/16" X 2" stainless steel 'I' bolts that had a 3/8" ID eye that fit my axles. I used two flat washers that butt against the ends of the drop outs and a couple of nylon lock nuts and achieved the same results that my $20.00 aftermarket adjusters did. These cost me less that $3.00.

The photos are self explanatory. I had to spread the frame about a 1/4" to get them on but I needed the space for chain to tire clearance on the left side anyway. Hope others with horizontal drop outs can use the idea.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Enjoying your work again Tom. That idea for the rear axle adjustment is a great idea. So far I haven't had a day in the shop to play all winter, but plan to get my chopper back up and running when I do. Keep up the good work.
Dan