Level Carb?

GoldenMotor.com

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am just curious, all other 2 strokes and 4 strokes for that matter that I have worked on with carbs all have them sitting level. This due to the floats working properly and the fuel in the bowl sitting level im guessing. After installing my MB engine, the carb is sitting about 25-30 degrees off of level. I am thinking that by leveling the carb, the bike might run smoother and get a more steady flow of fuel. Has anyone out there bent their intake or made a custom one to level out the carb? Or am I just over thinking this and the slight angle not really matter??

Thanks!!.wee.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
15 degrees give or take is usually OK, but you are correct, the fuel system is all gravity feed and with that much of an angle your bowl can't stay full and the float can tend to stick.

Yes you can mod the intake, and yes there are 3rd party ones, sorry I don't have a reference link for you, but do you have a pic of your motor mounting so we know why had it had to sit at such an extreme angle?

At least for me I find just keeping the motor as level as possible to be the best.

ncsubiker

Sep 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC

This is all I have at the moment, I cant drop the motor down any more to rotate it, guess I could space out the front mounting point and pivot it around. But I had much rather just bend the intake or something that doesnt require modding the motor mounts again.
Thanks for you help, the motor is running fine at this angle, but I am a perfectionist what can I say... plus I think it just looks odd with the carb tilted.

Guess I could prop up the front tire to level it out and see how it runs then??

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
That amount of carb tilt is most likely excessive - tho if it's not puking fuel or starving at wide open throttle/max RPM then there's little reason to mess w/it beyond aesthetics, the float height & range of travel would be the only real issues w/carb angle, other than what I mentioned above there'd be no other effect.

Ofc - if you've access to welding equipment it'd be sweet to make/modify a manifold that not only had the proper angle - but was shorter than the extended CNS intake as well as manifold length (and number of bends) does have a pronounced effect on performance...

I've been meaning to make one from scratch, but it's mebbe tru I've procrastinated on that lil project lol - I just took a stock kit (short) manifold & cut a slot in it, bent it a bit more & rewelded it (same method they use), then cleaned the over penetration (weld) on the inside to promote flow... it's worked well enough it's yet another thing I've not "finalized" :p

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Your manifold looks oddly long, Is it stock? Here is a link to dax's site with a pic of one. Is a lot shorter. ENGINE_KIT_PARTS_PAGE_2 Dunno, if your not having problems, would not rush to worry about it but know what you mean about wanting it right an' tight. Pic is down the page some.