question about 79cc Predator and 3rd motor mount

GoldenMotor.com

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I'm strongly considering buying a header from agk for my upcoming Predator build. The answer to this question is not very likely to affect my decision. But I would like to know, if I buy the header and brace it to the frame with say an exhaust clamp, would this suffice for a 3rd motor mount? Or do I risk damaging the header, the frame or the engine? Please advise, thank you.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
exhaust mounts are never engine mounts...used that way you may just be snapping pipes pretty regular. why do you need a 3rd mount? ones usually enough and you now have 2?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
My thoughts also a thired mount is usually bolted to a head bolt and then to a top tube. But unless you are sopping it up a good bottom mount should be enough for 79cc. Get it mounted solid so there is no flex ...........Curt

Last edited:

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
It would help keep the engine from moving forward and backward from the torque produced from the preddy engine. The bolt hole that used to mound the air cleaner is a great place to attach another mount and go up to one of the tubes above it. I did it and it helped keep engine stable. Just sayin'

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Bldr, your post confuses me a little. The first part seems to be agreeing that using the exhaust as a motor mount is a good idea, but then you go on to suggest bracing the motor to the frame. Either way, the general consensus so far seems to be that bracing the exhaust to the frame is not a good idea. I plan to use one of the gas tank mounting holes and heavy flat steel bar to brace the motor to the frame. I just finished stripping the motor down, since I'm not using the gas tank, exhaust or carb that came with this engine. Probably gonna list them in swap and shop soon.

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
Greaser: Sorry for the confusion. I had already moved past the crazy question of using exhaust as motor mount and moved on to the 3rd motor mount. Here is how I ran my exhaust pipe and a picture of my third mount using previous gas tank mount and bike frame.

Attachments

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
I found some one inch pipe that already had 90 degree turns in it, so I ordered an exhaust flange from AGK and cut the first pipe at angle to keep it behind the centrifugal clutch so as not to burn my leg and after that it was just a matter of measuring a piece at a time and welding it. The final pipe is a piece of galvanized fence (top rail) that I cut the end at angle to look like Cushman eagle pipe and then I drilled and bolted it to one inch pipe, I have a lot of time in it,

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
I think the trick to building these bikes is never throw anything away. I find that during a build I will need something to make a bracket or a mount and I will have something laying around or under a bench that I can bend or cut to make it work.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
The reason I'm asking about the exhaust is that I don't know how to weld and I'm looking for someone to build a simple exhaust for maybe $40 or 50 shipped. I posted an ad in swap and shop, but no responders yet. Even if I knew how to weld, I don't have the necessary tools for it or the money to get them. So what do you say?

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
greaser: I would love to help you but by the time we ordered the exhaust flange and I spent many hours cutting, tack welding, grinding etc, you would be better off to buy the pipe already made professionally from AGK affordable go-karts for $57.00. I believe it already had the muffler on it. I could not do it that cheap. They have a short version for around $44.00. Check it out. Thanks Bldr

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If it' was mine I would get the long pipe it gets the muffler down and out back,were the noise should be. Then get piece of tube that will fit over the muffler, I am thinking like crome sink drain pipe or something like it, it will give it a deeper tone,and be Kooool......Curt

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
You can do what I did on my last build. Either cut the exhaust flange off of the stock muffler or purchas one from AGK. Then, use handlebars and make an exhaust. You can easily cut the handlebars with a hacksaw, then label each piece and mark them so they line up, and take it to a local welding shop. Just a suggestion....

Bldr1000

Aug 26, 2013
Hoover, Alabama
AND it would look mammymade as heck. If you can find one inch pipe, go to Home Depot and buy a 5 or 6 foot piece of 3/4 electrical conduit. Cut pieces about 3 inches long, put them in vise and cut them long ways a few times until you can squeeze it in the vise to make the pipe smaller around until it fits inside the one inch pipe, putting half into each cut of one inch pipe and then you can mock up the whole pipe and when you get it exactly like it needs to be take a black marker and make a line across the joints to keep it lined up for the welder. Hope this helps. Its what I did and it made it easier. I actually welded mu own but I spent a lot of time grinding and rewelding because I am not that good at it.