briggs kick start motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
For what its worth. I bought a water pump 8 hp engine and it had the ball bearing shaft. it was a real bugger to take apart as the pump part was threaded on the shaft. After i got it apart milled a keyway on the shaft threads and all ( wasn't threaded all the way) so far working really good. Your looks less complicated to take apart............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Did ya happen to take any pictures, Curt?

Looking for ideas on how to hold a crank shaft & round stock to mill in a keyway.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Sorry no. My neighbor has a big floor model mill just stuck the hole engine in it and milled the keyway on the side of shaft.
I have sence bought a two way vice the fit on my drill press and think i can do the same except just the shaft,with a round cutter. Got the vice form Enco...............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man, Curt! I would be carful with the "turn your drill press into a mill" things. A drill press is designed for up and down. The expected force in the design hold and pushes the chuck on tighter. Nothing supports the side to side, fore & aft force. So if the chuck stays on, your still stressing the heck out of the bearings and shaft.

I never give advice but I would not do that. Maybe on a $5 yard sale drill press but not on one I wanted to keep and would wear a full face shield, a football helmet, welder's gloves and my lucky prophylactic just to be doubly safe. (snork, I crack me up. well, the voices do)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Have a big old press and if you just take it slow and a sliver cut at a time,yep other wise my neighbor is willing to anything that would be to big or dangerous. I have asked around and seems to think it would be ok as long as one uses a little common sence,and nothing big. ............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
If it is realy as good as you say maybe save it and look for another for crank donation and switch them out. I have one just like it on a tiller that iput together not hard to find..............Curt

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Silverbear, I forgot to mention the compression releases we have on our chain saws. It screws into the head and when you push it in, it stays open until the engine fires. Then it closes by itself so the motor can run. Harleys also use them and they're all over ebay.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Silverbear, I forgot to mention the compression releases we have on our chain saws. It screws into the head and when you push it in, it stays open until the engine fires. Then it closes by itself so the motor can run. Harleys also use them and they're all over ebay.
That is cool, MSR Fan. I was thinking jury rig a bolt in a bolt deal.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks, I'll give a look.
SB