Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Trike Project or not

I have a 49 cc HS 142F motor with a 4g drive. I bought this to use in a 2 wheel bike and changed my mind and used a 66cc 2 stroke instead. I am thinking of using the HS in a trike. Most of them are a little "tippy" in corners. I am thinking that smaller and fatter rear tires with the motor mounted low in the back ahead of the wheels might add some stability.
I would do away with the basket, lower everything and use a balloon tire on the front with maybe 20 or 24 fats on the back, some pull back bars and a big fat seat. I think I could make a good looking comfort cruiser trike.
Any thoughts?
Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Trike Project or not

Sounds like a good plan, Jim. You posted this in the right section. You might want to browse through the older threads here to see what other members have done with their three wheelers.

I've only built one trike but it was an unusual design. I used a Titan 49cc 4 stroke in it and because of the tiny front wheel it was a little unstable at speed. A more traditional tricycle design would be a better option for a neighborhood cruiser.

Keep us posted if you do this project.

Tom
Old 12-25-2015, 04:33 PM

That sounds like a good plan, like Tom says bigger wheels.............Curt
Old 12-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Trikes can be tippy for sure. Your approach brings to mind a Bigwheel toy trike....small rear and huge front. Thing is you'll struggle to attain that stance and all.
On my own trike I stretched it a bit and widened it as much as my eyes could take. Then we pushed it down hill fast and tried it ,full lock turning it in a hurry. It remained stable and when it hit sand just slid around. So the ratio...length to width and height, must be close.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:51 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

did you pursue on this one?