Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:48 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: A Hybrid Stirling Trike

Two more items for the build arrived today, they are flue sections left over from an installation job and I was able to buy them for just $NZ5.00. The larger one will become a heatshield and the smaller one is destined to become the outer casing on a wood gasifier.
All I need now is for my replacement welding goggles to arrive and work can begin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FlueSections.jpg (40.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM

Is there enough heat generated on the cool side to use thermo-siphon? That's the ultimate in simplicity when very high efficiency cooling isn't necessary. Also would relieve the batteries from additional draw.

I like the look of the stove flues. The galvanized finish could be left with a patina finish for that industrial look.
Since the term "steampunk" is in your vocabulary will we see some of its influence?
Its a perfect build to introduce a bit.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:19 AM

Getting interested and got to watch this closer,Going to be KOOOL...........Curt
Old 02-25-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonball2 View Post
Is there enough heat generated on the cool side to use thermo-siphon? That's the ultimate in simplicity when very high efficiency cooling isn't necessary. Also would relieve the batteries from additional draw.

I like the look of the stove flues. The galvanized finish could be left with a patina finish for that industrial look.
Since the term "steampunk" is in your vocabulary will we see some of its influence?
Its a perfect build to introduce a bit.
Some builders are using thermo-siphon setups to cool their engines CB and I really would like to try this first. I'm not really wanting to try and wring every bit of power out of the engine so hopefully a pump wont be necessary.

I will confess to a liking for Steampunk themes, but I don't like the way some people do it by covering objects with cogs and gears that don't do anything. There will be brass and copper; Dark varnished wood will make a modest appearance; And there definitely will be crankshafts and flywheels.

I agree CB, leaving the galvanised metal to acquire a working patina would be a good thing, - especially on a heat shield.
The smaller diameter flue is stainless steel, but that won't be appearing on this project
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JudithFinal.jpg (137.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 02-25-2015, 05:45 PM

Copper, Brass, Dark Varnished Wood?

Steve.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Copper, Brass, Dark Varnished Wood?

Steve.
Yes Steve, the three most coolest materials on the planet for making anything out of

I've just ordered the crankshaft I'm going to use as a basis for the crankshaft on my Stirling engine.........

Modifications will need to be done of course, such as changing needle roller bearings for bronze bushings, but it's waaaaay easier to mod this than make one from scratch.

The next job is to get a couple of these.....

Last edited by Intrepid Wheelwoman; 02-25-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: added picture and words.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:18 AM

The housewares section of our local supermarket yielded a stainless steel toilet brush holder which is going to make a perfect displacer cylinder for the Stirling engine.

I'm going to have to modify the top of the kero stove so that the displacer cylinder will fit down inside it for around half of its length. The top of the displacer cylinder will need to be fitted with a water jacket which I will make from sheet copper. By enclosing the hot end of the cylinder inside the stove I should be able to obtain much more even heating than if it was out in the open air.

My next job will be to purchase some steel bar stock from Iron Maiden to make the support frame for the engine. And yes the steel supplier I use really is called 'Iron Maiden' They are a scrap dealers and have their stock sorted and well organised so it's easy to order what you need. The best thing is of course that their prices are a lot cheaper than buying new steel.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM

Steampunk pin up cutie for the week

Old 02-27-2015, 06:10 PM

Yesterday we had an absolute hum-dinger of a thunderstorm and it rained like it was trying to make up for all the hot dry days we'd had over Summer. Needless to say nothing got done except housework which was essential, but boring

My replacement welding goggles have arrived (Yay!); - so perhaps now I can finally have a mess about and see what this new torch of mine can do.

This delightful little cyclecar is thought by some experts to be a French 'Atome', but others say it isn't and at the time the article about it was written even the cyclecar's owner didn't really know what it was. BUT that doesn't matter because this is essentially what my trike is going to look like with a body on it. My one will differ of course in that its boot/trunk will be full of Stirling engine.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 AM

You are an inspiration.
I think I am going to have to build a cycle car....