Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: A Hybrid Stirling Trike

That's pretty impressive! The car alternator idea sounds a bit power hungry. Most Ebike chargers charge in 3/5amp range which sounds doable. Could an R/C brushless motor be converted? I know some of the gasoline powered helis at my club had on board charging systems using one of the type motors and a regulator. Seems the reduction of the mass turned even if the charge loading is the same would be easier on the Stirling. Unless you are looking for some flywheel effect once it gets rolling.

Have you considered fuel pellets for pelletized stoves? I think for this usage they would be fairly economical.
They would be very compact/freeform to carry and could be burned in a fairly small burner. Don't know how they "wood" compare to the cost kerosene but they are odorless and clean to handle. Ideally finding cast off materials for fuel is the best idea as they cost nothing and are just about everywhere. I had a newspaper roller that made logs from it, done right the logs burned a good while.

Very interesting idea this build of yours!

Last edited by cannonball2; 02-24-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:31 PM

I'm looking at tracking down a source of wood pellets at the moment as I'm going to build a wood gasifier as well based on a no weld design on You Tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Rh...7iRD8w&index=4

I wanted to try the kerosene heaters because they are so wonderfully retro and also because that was what those vintage Stirling fan engines used as a fuel. The heater I'll be using has a seriously larger circular wick and it's capable of putting out a lot more heat. Wood fuel is going to be an option for the future though and when I make up the firebox I make it so it can be readily changed over for the kerosene heater with the minimum of fuss.

Mockup to show heater placement..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ConstanceLogo.jpg (24.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg PipeFittingForConstance.jpg (123.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 PM

Your point about the generator is a good one CB and I can foresee much experimentation before the ideal setup is found. One of the Stirling Forum guys used a car heater motor on his engine and I have other small motors I can try as well.
The engine will have a fairly impressive flywheel, but of course not a particularly large power output so matching the load to the engine is important if I want to avoid frustration.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:25 PM

Query: improve heat exchange efficiency of the engine by using ice as a heat sink?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig II View Post
Query: improve heat exchange efficiency of the engine by using ice as a heat sink?
Just a guess here.

Measurable results will likely require so much ice that it'll be impractical.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:14 PM

It was just a thought, based on the engine requiring a temperture difference to operate.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:29 PM

Sorry there, Ludwig. It's not like I really meant to shoot down your idea. And don't forget; I might be wrong.

You know.....it wouldn't be all that hard to calculate how much ice could do how much cooling.

Now all we'd need is the Calorie (or BTU) output of the engine in question.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:03 PM

The usual trick is to water cool the cold end of the displacer cylinder. For maximum efficiency the ideal situation is to remove as much heat from the cold end as is being put into the hot end.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:41 PM

If you cooled the displacer cylinder with water and then ran that water through a coil (radiator), it would seem as though that would displace calories into the atmosphere more efficiently than if this cylinder were merely being air-cooled.

On the other hand.....this would mean that you now must install a coil and pump water.

We'll have to keep on thinking and making suggestions. In the end you might just have a real Rube Goldberg machine.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:35 AM

The guys who are really into Stirling engines end up with all manner of extras on the engines they build as they seek for greater efficiency. The really serious ones will even experiment with sealed systems running gases like Argon under pressure. I prefer a more middle of the road approach which means that a pump and a small radiator is fine, but anything else outside of sensible plain Victorian engineering will be banished from my gaze.