Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Hercules Trike rebuild

Something I found with the Sturmey Archer coaster hubs from the 1960's is that they have a plastic oiling bung and when this is lost or falls out the hub gets full of water and grit which doesn't do its inner workings any good at all. When I was overhauling a coaster hub for my Hercules the only spare hub I found that was any good inside was one that still had its bung in place. All the rest were filled with a brown gritty paste and were completely worn out.

Truth be told I much prefer the earlier SA hubs that have a proper steel flip top oiler, but they are getting harder to find now.

This is wot I'm using on the Hercules.

They don't need the production of a small oil producing country diverted through them, - just a few drops of oil every week or so if the bike is being ridden most days. I much prefer the oiler hubs that are fitted to my older English bikes because they roll much more freely than greased hubs. They fell out of favour of course because they meant you actually had to pay some attention to bike maintenance and the other thing was they tended to be a little messy, but nothing a wipe over with a rag couldn't keep under control.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 AM

I've been making a start on a proper tray for my Hercules. For far too long I'd been using lash-up methods of carrying bulky cargo and it's about time I did something about it. As it's highly likely that I'm going to lengthen my trike's wheelbase at some stage I'm going to make the supports so they bolt together so it's easier to make adjustments later.

Most of the steel I'm using came from the local council recycling centre and was originally a part of some kind of crate for tractor parts. There are a lot of advantages in living in a rural area.
The tray base is made from 10mm five ply which should cope with anything I'm likely to load my trike up with. After thinking it through I decided that I would make the tray narrow enough to fit between the rear wheels as it's mostly going to be used around town and I don't want my trike to be too much of an obstruction on some of the more narrow streets. A speedster it's not as it's made to haul stuff not whizz about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HerculesTrikeTrayWIP.jpg (391.1 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg HerculesTrikeTrayWIP-2.jpg (380.7 KB, 66 views)

Last edited by Intrepid Wheelwoman; 01-30-2014 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:05 AM

No housework today - Yay! So I was able to go outside and play

There's been something I've been wanting to try with my Hercules trike for a long time now, but the idea was put on the back burner because I didn't have a brazing torch and I don't like using my lightning machine (MIG) at the best of times.
The other factor that prodded me into action was that I really do need to stick with riding trikes as on those days when I'm not so well I don't half wobble about sometimes on my dear old Hercules bicycle. My faux Rudge project has been at a standstill for a while and would need to be revised anyway because I'm getting so I don't trust myself on a solo bike. So wot I did was I nicked its engine......

I had the back half of a ladies 10 speed lying about so with a little more hacksaw work I cut it down further so it would fit on the right hand rear axle of my tricycle and the engine would fit what was left of the frame as well.
I know this might seem an odd way to mount an engine on a tricycle, but there are several advantages. (1) The engine is nicely out in the breeze for cooling purposes. (2) Chain wheel and pedal clearance is no longer a problem. (3) It's dead easy to mount up the exhaust system. (4) The engine is right where you can keep an eye on it in case it's naughty.

And in case you're wondering I will be adding in extra very necessary bracing pieces to make sure the engine does stay where it's supposed to.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:15 AM

By way of further information I am still going to install a proper carrying tray on my Hercules trike and the added on piece of bike frame will become part of the support arrangement for that.

The other thing that I'd like to do once I have the engine properly installed on my trike is to build a motor wheel using the same basic idea of a back half of a bike frame and a China Girl engine.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Anne,
What an interesting idea and one which leads to other interesting ideas. This should work nicely and if I understand correctly it leaves the rear wheels free to travel at different rates on corners, eliminating the need for a differential axle. Is that right? And yes, the rear portion of a standard bicycle could be used as a motor wheel like the Smith Motor Wheel.

For that matter an offset trike could be built from two standard bikes with no need to share an axle at all. One bike would remain much as it was and would be the one with a seat and pedals. The other would be just the rear section of a matching bike up to and including an inframe engine such as a China girl, but could be anything which fits. Cross braces weld the two frames together, so that the motor powered half is offset. The bottom bracket of that offset could carry a jack shaft so that power from the engine could be transferred to what was originally the pedal side of the bracket and carry a driving chain to an old standard 3 speed S.A. internally geared hub without the need for any modifications to it. A three speed motored trike results without the cost of a trike kit and all from salvaged stuff.

Also just realized that the offset frame section could retain a seat for a second rider and could retain all of the frame up to and including the head tube, simplifying cross bracing for a very sturdy rig, something like an open sociable. Woohoo!

Your idea leads to all sorts of possibilities, Anne... well done, Wellborn!
SB
Old 02-28-2015, 07:46 AM

I just love it! What out of the box thinking. That happens with me a lot when I have various parts/pieces laying a round. If one had the money even a twin is easily possible.

Think of the bodacious left turn you can make with a bit of throttle!

SB is right throw a BB into the frame part, flip the wheel add a second reduction and use a 3speed hub. Front chain line from the motor might be finicky, but is probably doable.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:28 PM

Anne:

The oil cup issue is easy to solve. Ditch the plastic & put a fresh oil cup in:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-cups/=w3ywuq

Same goes for anyplace you would rather have a cup & a wick. Just drill the bottom bracket for a cup & put in a bit of wicking.

B
Old 02-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Ha ha, yes indeed CB, it's amazing what can happen when one starts trying out fitting junk together And Silverbear I must agree with you about the possibilities that exist with using the rear halves of standard bicycle frames and not bothering with conventional tricycle rear axles.
I would like to build a motorwheel for my 70 year old Hercules bicycle using this method with a Villiers engine to power it which would look very nice as well as being practical, but that will have to wait for later.

All my electric trikes have had divided drive with the left hand side rear wheel driven by the pedals and the right hand rear wheel under motor power. Yes there is a slight twitchiness under power, but that can be compensated for by sensible use of the pedals. This is where the Sachs automatic kick back hub I normally use very much comes into its own because it will shift up as you accelerate from a stop.
I suppose the divided drive arrangement just looks a whole lot more obvious now because there is an engine in plain sight on the right hand side.

For one heady moment I did consider adding a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub as a countershaft transmission into the mix, but then I decided that it would be better to get everything working properly first and keep such experiments for later.
Two engines? - now that would be a sight However I shall be sensible and stick with using just the one. In practical terms though another engine on the left hand side would be a nuisance as that's the side that I mount and dismount from my tricycle and an engine being in the way could lead to unladylike bad language.

Like you CB I'm going to keep this slightly disguised China Girl completely stock as I'm not interested in speed and seeing how fast it will go. My trikes are workhorses and get used to haul stuff so reliability is what I want.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFV8 View Post
Anne:

The oil cup issue is easy to solve. Ditch the plastic & put a fresh oil cup in:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#oil-cups/=w3ywuq

Same goes for anyplace you would rather have a cup & a wick. Just drill the bottom bracket for a cup & put in a bit of wicking.

B
Oooooo nice What a useful link FFV8. You are so lucky having McMaster-Carr in the US as we don't really have anything like that here in New Zealand. I wonder if McMaster-Carr would ship an order to New Zealand? The only problem would be that the postage cost might be awful.

My older English bicycles have oil cups and they are sooooo good when it comes to giving my bikes a lube and service.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:27 PM

At the moment I'm deciding whether to to keep the attached frame piece as a 'bolt-on' or go all the way and braze it onto the trike axle. Caution would dictate keeping it as a 'bolt-on' until I'm completely certain everything is going to work as it should.

I shall report back after some further tinkering and creative staring.