Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Velocar cyclecar semi-replica.

ohh wow I like where this is going I new a girl in my home town when I was a kid that had a bike that looked like a car it had a 7 speed and was 3 wheeler it was a cool bike so this should be something realy nice to see ohh and on her bike 2 people could set next to each other and peddle . at the same time
Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Wheelwoman View Post
All very true Caduceus. I'm following a set of plans in an old French book on how to construct a basic cyclecar, though I'm having to modify the design to make my vehicle a three wheeler. I'm also modifying the bodywork to make it a copy of the Colombe cyclecar, simply because the Colombe was a three wheeler and it's a better fit for what I'm doing.
Making the right choice with an axle and then laying it out correctly according to the French drawings is something that can't be rushed because if I make a mess of it my cyclecar/velocar will be a pig to drive and I'll have no one to blame but myself.
I aligned everything to the rear dropouts right at the beginning. After that everything pretty much fit straight or at right angles. However I made plenty of other mistakes!

The Peerless Leader runs great now! Just took it uptown to pickup a week's groceries.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 PM

Don't worry Silverbear Bert Munroe is very much considered to be a Kiwi HERO and nobody here in NZ is going to forget him in a hurry. I have the DVD of the 'World's Fastest Indian' and it gets watched often. There are one or two cameo spots in the movie which Kiwis instantly recognise in that the mayor of Invercargill took a minor role as one of Bert's friends.

Oh yes the Australian accent. Kiwis joke that Ozzies speak a different language to us, but mostly we can understand their different ways of saying things without any problems. Most parts of Australia have warm temperatures even in Winter, so -40 is going to come as a big surprise.

I guess my project is going to be the 'world's slowest cyclecar' in terms of pedaling speed, but with motor assist I'll be happy if it can manage around 30kph. It's only going to be for local use around town so it doesn't need to be fast.
I'm fairly certain that the axle in the photo is from a Can-Am Bombardier ATV because there is a Can-Am dealer in our region and when I checked out a parts diagram on-line it looked very much the same as what i have.

I would still like to use the Chinese made axle because it will be simpler to setup according to the French cyclecar plans, but it's going to take a lot of creative staring to figure out how to deal with that offset.

Caduceus, I really like your tricycle and the way you mounted your axle and placed the engine. It's a method I may well keep in mind for when I rebuild my Hercules trike.

Bill2781, was this the three wheeler you remember? It's called a 'PPV'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EIEIOE.jpg (55.2 KB, 1722 views)
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 AM

Creative staring time continues as I want to get this rear axle business sorted before I get too carried away. I do actually own a second hand Peerless diff, but it came from some sort of contractor's machine and the axle shafts are very short which makes it not really that useful.
However if you look at the diagram of a Peerless axle you'll see that the axle ends are located in the spider gears by a simple slotted arrangement with a circlip. The Peerless axle is one inch in diameter where it passes through the diff case, so it seems to me that any other kind of shaft so long as it is one inch in diameter could be machined to fit into the spider gears.
What I'm considering doing is cutting in half an ATV axle, turning down the end to one inch diameter on my trusty old Myford and then filing or grinding the axle end to fit the Peerless spider gears. By doing this I can still use the 4 bolt hubs and the spacesaver wheels, but also have all the advantages of a diff as well. The other benefit is that it will cost me nothing because I've already got everything I need to hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg PeerlessDiff2.jpeg (23.0 KB, 189 views)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Wheelwoman View Post
Creative staring time continues as I want to get this rear axle business sorted before I get too carried away. I do actually own a second hand Peerless diff, but it came from some sort of contractor's machine and the axle shafts are very short which makes it not really that useful.
However if you look at the diagram of a Peerless axle you'll see that the axle ends are located in the spider gears by a simple slotted arrangement with a circlip. The Peerless axle is one inch in diameter where it passes through the diff case, so it seems to me that any other kind of shaft so long as it is one inch in diameter could be machined to fit into the spider gears.
What I'm considering doing is cutting in half an ATV axle, turning down the end to one inch diameter on my trusty old Myford and then filing or grinding the axle end to fit the Peerless spider gears. By doing this I can still use the 4 bolt hubs and the spacesaver wheels, but also have all the advantages of a diff as well. The other benefit is that it will cost me nothing because I've already got everything I need to hand
You're awesome, and I want your metal lathe.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:24 AM

yes that's the bike I seen thanks I was wondering what its called and mabe even one day tring to find one
Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 PM

I was going to say to bad you didn't have a Peerless rear axle which has a differential and lo and behold you have one. They were most often found in lawn tractors over here.

I like the use of the space saver wheels. We have some Chrysler products that probably have the same bolt pattern with 13" wheels. Of course going through the local tip appeals to me far more. Not allowed here of naturally.

Steve.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Steve beat me to it... wanted to say how bomb proof your axle is going to be. And the price is right, too!
SB
Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 PM

We're not really supposed to go tip-ratting in our local recycling depot either, but the staff know me and they know I'm looking for specific bicycle parts or mechanical bits to reuse for my own projects. With the recession some folk try to ruin it for others by taking scrap metal to sell and that is a big no-no because that's what the council does itself to cover some of the depot's running costs.

There's a job lot of new mini-quad parts for sale on our local New Zealand auction website which includes a rear axle complete with brake disc and sprocket and I've got a bid in. I'm hoping I will win the auction because a good few of the parts are ones that I can use either as they are or with some modifications.

The Peerless axles aren't all that common here and are often expensive, though I must say I did strike it lucky with the one I have even if it is too short. Combining the Peerless diff with quad bike axle parts should (I hope) give me a darn good strong axle with the plus of being able to mount the rear wheels in a secure manner.
Wire spoked wheels would be nice, but the spacesavers will do for now. There are various ways to convert spacesaver wheel rims into spoked wheels, but that sort of project can wait until I have my Colombe semi-replica up and running.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:11 AM

That's why they don't allow it here as well. Whatever they recycle pays for running the tip.
Silverbears city tip on the other hand is a cornucopia of unseen delights. The big city crowd that come up to their summer residences and toss out last years or the year before unwanted items are a blessing to a couple of old scroungers such as ourselves. The metal pile is of special interest of course and it can get quite large even with the constant ebb and flow of give and take that goes on.

The Peerless are $120 U.S. at Northern Tool in their go kart section. They are 38" long. Of course it's a long way to New Zealand so I'm sure it's a rather healthy price there.

Worksman Cycle in New York City has a wheel hub that locks on the axle for their trikes. One wheel free wheels. It sticks in my mind that they are 1" axles. I have forgotten how they anchor them to the axle but an email to them should bring an answer. The hubs use a 11 gauge spoke so your safely into moped or light motorcycle range for spokes.
It probably would not be wildly expensive just to buy the hubs and have the wheels laced there. With two locking hubs you would be set for wire wheels.

Steve.