Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Velocars and other interesting vehicles.

Hello Steve. Living as I do with a disability that can affect my mobility adversely from time to time I'm also in the position of having to consider three wheelers over two wheelers as my mode of transport. When I'm well I still can ride a two wheeler, but having seen the writing on the wall I know it would be wise to prepare for the future; - the fun must still go on afterall

I have numerous bits I have hoarded which would be useful to build a velocar once I actually make up my mind as to the design format. It has to look old though, - like you I'm fussy on that point.
So you owned a Morgan briefly? I'm amazed that you could bear to part with it, - but then again having not so long ago sold my much loved 1954 Series II Morris Minor I can very much understand how it is that these things happen.

Just this week I discovered a trader here in New Zealand who sells Chinese made 50cc quad bikes for around $NZ350.00 and I thought I would save my pocket money to get one. Rather than try and buy the parts I might need individually for a velocar which could prove expensive, I thought that stripping down one of these quads for useful parts would be the better way to go. Afterall all the parts for the electrics, brakes, steering etc etc would all be there just waiting to be unbolted

Last edited by Intrepid Wheelwoman; 11-03-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 PM

cheap price=cheap parts

if you design and build it yourself then you will know exactly what it takes not if it breaks but when
Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibedayank View Post
cheap price=cheap parts

if you design and build it yourself then you will know exactly what it takes not if it breaks but when
True enough in a way.

This is the quad bike. I'm sure there would be more here that would be useful and serviceable on a HPV build than not.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50ccQuad.jpg (47.6 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-03-2011, 08:55 PM

ahh a 4wheeler but extreemly heavy compared to bike part builds
wont be easy to adapt bike wheels to it

problem with the 4wheeler is the solid rear axle and trying to turn it
not a problem in dirt/sand but REAL problem being human powered and on pavement
and not having the power to spin the rear wheels

Last edited by Ibedayank; 11-03-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 PM

The Morgan story unfolded with me going to see another young lad in the neighbourhood that raced motorcycles mostly a J.A.P. powered sidecar rig. While I was there talking to him another racer came in and said that he knew of a fella that had a car with a J.A.P. motor on it.
It was declined and offered to me since it was well known that if the price was right I was a buyer. Could also be looked at also as the fact that the Sap would buy anything.
I asked if it had three wheels and I was told it did indeed and off we went.

It was out in the country a bit and arriving there we were shown to an old shed with the story that it had quit a few years ago and was towed home and push into it's final resting place and for the ungodly sum of $250 I could be the proud new owner. Well the current owner didn't really care if I was proud or not just so long as I has $250 in cash.

We settled up and took it down off the blocks it was on and pushed it out into the daylight. It was in very good condition given the age which I can't remember now but I'm sure 1920's. I bought it in 1963.

Towed it home and the chap behind us was a major auto trader and far more knowledgeble that I was and was very quick to offer $450 and it was gone. He had it running in a day and we took it out for a ride and then it was sold to a newer owner.

Of all the cars that I owned it rates up there with the 1953 Porche convertible {drop head coupe} that my brother and I owned as a "Wish we had it now".
Of course the Francis Barnett and James motorcycles as well as the D.O.T. scrambler rate up there too. Oh, and the two 1939 Triunph motorcycles that we bought for $150 along with the $125 Porche.

I'm sure you see the pattern but in those days they were just old cars and not collectable cars. Of course my brother and nephew are carrying the tradition on but now it's just bicycles for me.

Steve.

Last edited by fasteddy; 11-29-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 PM

Oh no I wouldn't use it how it is; - far too Star Wars looking for me! No I would take it apart into a million bits and completely remake the whole thing with vintage bicycle and go kart parts until it looked properly respectable. The quad would only be a parts donor and would end up being totally unrecognisable by the time I'd finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CambroCyclecar1920.jpg (8.9 KB, 258 views)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:52 PM

My thoughts were if I were to build a gas powered velocar I'd use a moped donor. Engine and back wheel are already set up with a not great pedal set up but it would qualify for licencing purposes and if you were to plan on using it you make the pedal section better.
Two moped front wheels for brakes and you would be away.

I live with my brother and sister in law when I'm not travelling and he's behind me at this moment saying your kidding right? Your not going to build one are you?
He is now living in fear. Yaaaa Haaaa Haaa. Every time I leave the house he'll be worrying that a load of parts are coming back with me.

I would have to either sell the tricar or the sidecar to make room in the trailer so the velocar is probably a dream but one never knows.

I have some angle iron bed rails and then there is some square tubing left over from the 1st sidecar frame and then there's the 98cc Villiers engine with the kick start which would go with the rear wheel with Manic Mechanic adapter that was going on the tricar that may get a Sportscar Pat rear wheel and then, well I have to go out to the garage and do a little measuring and I'll be right back.

Steve.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:04 AM

An Introduction to CycleKarting

Here is a site that has a lot of good ideas. Wish we could put these cars on the road.
Maybe as three wheelers.

Steve.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 AM

If anybody in California is interested in making one of these little gems (like I am ) the following may interest you:
V C Section 39000 Bicycle Defined

Please pay special attention to the last 6 words in the definition.

Here is a pdf that you can print out and carry with you if a local revenue maker tries to tell you their interpretation of the law. Just print the portion that applies to your vehicle.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 01-28-2014 at 02:30 AM. Reason: dead links
Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 AM

Look up, Cyclecar Madness-Montley Autodrome Heritage Fest 2010 on youtube.
Lots of three and four wheel cyclecars running and getting ready to go around the track.

Steve.

Tags
budget, engine, velocar