Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: New Project

Okay, I have everything braced up to where it doesn't flex and I cut up some square tube to support the bearings. I half-rigged a throttle from an old choke cable and it's very nice and fun to ride, but I need to get a cable run up to the handle bars. Now, my main problem right now is with the clutch. The clutch will randomly engage for no reason at all. I have the engine idling as low as I can without stalling, and for no reason the clutch will grab and it will try to run me over and take off. Even with the engine off and pedaling it, the clutch will grab for a second or two at random trying to turn the engine over and making it very difficult to pedal. Does anyone know of why this would happen and if there's anyway to remedy this? I'm going to a swap meet on Thursday and would love to take it with me, but also not run anyone over because I'd like to be able to stop and leave it running.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM

Try stronger springs in the clutch
Old 01-09-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racie35 View Post
Try stronger springs in the clutch
That crossed my mind, but with a friend pedaling next to me and me pedaling this with the engine off, he said that every time it got hard to pedal and made some weird sounds and stuff, the engine would turn over. So, something in the clutch is grabbing for no good reason and I'm able to drive the engine whenever it feels like it. When it is running, I have the engine idling to the point it wants to stall out and it will just grab move and stall. One time when it did this, I was trying to take off and it grabbed and it also tried to engage at the same time; I was hearing that distinctive sound of the shoes lightly touching the bell, but it was fully locked for a few seconds. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow to see what I can see. I probably got what I paid for being it was a $20 clutch on eBay.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:27 PM

Okay, I took the clutch apart and lubricated the bushing and I left off the c-clip that holds the bell on and I didn't tighten down the crank bolt as much and now it works perfectly. I found a twist shifter that I'm using as a throttle and that works quite well. I took the thing through a field and it does very well going slow off road. It's geared a little high for my taste, but it's capable of slow speed. I don't know which of what I did fixed my clutch problem, but it's fixed. I'm going out to the Florida Flywheelers swap meet on Thursday and I'm gonna try to get some pictures of the finished bike before then.