The New Big Red

GoldenMotor.com

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Ok, here is what she looks like now:
003.JPG

The rear gear is 52T at about 9". I haven't ridden it yet because of a problem. One wheel will make the pedals turn with the wheels. That would mean if I'm going 20mph the pedals are flying! The other wheel I can pedal but the bike won't move! What am I not thinking of here?

BTW, 26" front wheel and 24" rear wheels.

Terry

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
HOLY CRAP BATMAN, THAT'S A TRIKE!!!
Great job Fulltimer. All I would do to it is put some fatty rubber on the rear. That is one bad a$$ trike.
Ya need a freewheel sprocket on the axle I would think. You can see how I did it here, Post#3. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=48156
Engine sprocket, freewheel sprocket, disc brake.
fatdaddy.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
What kind of rear axle does it have?
A one wheel peeler, a differential in the center or a live axle?
I have had trikes with all of the above. (The live axle was horrible on pavement but good in dirt.)

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Thanks for all the compliments guys! After I made the post I remembered the freewheel. The trike kit had a 1 piece axle for both wheels. That had to be cut so the pedals would work separately. That big rear sprocket was too big to fit into the trike kit frame so each of the 3 tubes had to be cut. I made a "U" shaped piece to connect the tubes back together which also gave me clearance for the sprocket. On the engine side the end of the axle I welded a plate, pre-drilled to fit 3 different sized sprockets.

Now the problem of finding a 15mm freewheel sprocket.

Terry

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Staton and Niagara are both great people to do business with. I used both of them putting my trike together. Pleasant, friendly and helpfull folk.
fatdaddy.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I tried it out this morning. The centrifugal clutch is fully engaged and stalls the motor right away. I thing something is just stuck. I'll take it apart later. Here it is 8:49 in the morning and it is 84* already!

Terry

Mar 31, 2013
RI
...that is one sweet lookin' ride man, any chance you can post more pics?

lol, pretend this is Hustler Magazine and your trike is the hottie of the month! ...show us some nooks and cranny's bro!

peace, bozo

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
We are calling for storms every day for the next 5 days so I don't know when I can get some good pictures. But I'll try.

I am having a strange thing happening. When I set on the trike it leans to the left! It also wants to go to the left a lot. But first I have to get that blasted centrifugal clutch to work right again.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
It isn't really leaning. It just wants to go left. I think the problem is that the front tire isn't centered in the forks. It is almost touching the left side. There doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it either. Because of the disc brake.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I had to take the dual exhaust off. It was too loud. I'll put an inline muffler on each side and put it back on. So as it is right now it has the stock exhaust on it.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm pulling my hair out! No matter how I adjust the clutch the bike will NOT set still and idle. As soon as I let out the manual clutch the bike jumps and stalls. It should just set there and idle until I give it the gas of course.

Terry

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
The problem is the 3 weights that expand out to contact the bell housing and start it turning when the RPM rises, is doing all of this with any RPM.

So the small gear on the back of the bell housing is turning making the bike go at any RPM at all. I guess I need to get that piece with the 3 weights in it.

Terry