Death Race 09

GoldenMotor.com

outlawbiker

Mar 15, 2009
Chicago NW Suburbs
hello all, wow,what a great turn out! i really wish i could of made it for the event. fairracing,you do a great job with you photography and video,it really captures the moment and makes me want to gear up for the next race. i seen an occ schwinn chopper in the mix and possibly a trike version. great job! im in the middle of building my own right now,but i dont know if its gonna be race worthy. time shall tell untill then,keep the rubber side down and the top side up!

just a thought... maybe there is a away for us all to do a race like this with sponsorship from our parts vendors like nascar to show the reliability of those parts or to advertise those parts in the next race??? i think it would be sweet if we had racer's with a SBP logo on their machine,or a thatsdax.com sticker on their bike. like i said just a thought.

Last edited:

sfeland

Aug 23, 2008
AZ
sports.webshots.com
Photos of the SpookyTooth Cycles Death race 09

Death Race pictures by FR31MB - Photobucket

I had a little trouble uploading videos so I have one on Youtube and the rest on Photobucket, sorry about that.

Practice laps vid 1 & 2, Heat Race 1, and Heat Race 2 video 2

Death Race Videos pictures by FR31MB - Photobucket

Heat Race 2 video, sorry for the audio swap but I did not want my nephew to hear what I said after my crash. I did not realize I said anything until I got home.

YouTube - Death Race 09 Heat 2
Thanks for uploading the pics from the race! I rode the recumbent and had a tremendous time there!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks for uploading the pics from the race! I rode the recumbent and had a tremendous time there!
Hello Scot, It was a pleasure to meet ya and I really love your bike. It was so cool to watch you go around the track.

There's been a lot of talk of that Harbor Freight motor on this forum, it was really cool to see someone using it. A very neat set-up for sure!

There is a few pics of you in my photobucket, feel free to take any you would like. BTW, I hope I had the bolts you needed, I got pulled away and forgot to ask you.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Not quite a (bicycle) race to the death | www.azstarnet.com ®

Not quite a (bicycle) race to the death
> motorized 'death race' goes legit at east side track <
By Dean Knuth
Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 04.23.2009
advertisement
Riders on motorized bikes apexed around corners, drafted on the straights and simply put, screamed around the track during Saturday's Death Race 2009.
This was the fifth annual Death Race where an estimated 30 members of the motorized bicycle culture meet in Tucson from all over the Southwest.
But this was the first year the "Outlaw Desert Event" has been held at the P1 Kart Circuit, 11800 S. Harrison Road. Previously it was less regulated with rides through Saguaro National Park West and other open roads.
"People love this type of transportation," said bike builder Roland Bosma, who owns Spooky Tooth Cycles in Tucson.
The purpose of the event is to get people who love motorized bicycles together and share ideas.
"Tucson is the only place where you can really come together and meet in person," Bosma said.
He looked down and pointed to an orange mountain bike with an engine mounted to the frame.
"New carburetor, after-market expansion chamber, all of that comes from the sharing of ideas. We all support each other," he said.
"Alternative transportation is in the hands of the backyard mechanics."
Lenny Anderson agrees.
"Everybody likes to work together and get together," Anderson said. After years of regular cycling, Anderson found the motorized bicycle works better for him.
"It's kind of neat to put a motor on there. I get a lot of the same fun I got from riding a bike," he said.
But for Bosma, the Death Race comes back to the community.
"This event is to share ideas as a true community and foster an open-mindedness for alternative transportation," he said.
● Contact photographer Dean Knuth at 573-4155 or [email protected].

Attachments

sfeland

Aug 23, 2008
AZ
sports.webshots.com
Hello Scot, It was a pleasure to meet ya and I really love your bike. It was so cool to watch you go around the track.

There's been a lot of talk of that Harbor Freight motor on this forum, it was really cool to see someone using it. A very neat set-up for sure!

There is a few pics of you in my photobucket, feel free to take any you would like. BTW, I hope I had the bolts you needed, I got pulled away and forgot to ask you.
I got all I really needed! It was really great getting to meet so many and see all the different creations out there!

I did have a friend port the motor, do the valves and mill off .008 off the head for just a bit more power than before. It was a new motor and he finished it just before we left Chandler to come to Tucson!

The variator is a standard variator for a 150cc scooter, (I did have to machine a part to be able to fit the variator on the Harbor Freight motor shaft), and the centrifugal clutch with the spring loaded pulley is used on a 150cc scooter. The shaft is a 5/8" shaft so a Comet Torque converter should work. The 1st drive belt I use is for a 250cc scooter. That should help keep the maintenance down a bit! The final drive was a GEBE system but the bike and I am too heavy and the motor is too strong for the lightweight belt as it lasted about 200 - 250 miles even being very careful. The final drive I use now is the Whizzer drive wheel with a machined V-belt pulley on the Jack shaft. Today commuting home from work coming down a slight hill with some help I was able to get the bike to hit 37.2 mph. Cruising speed is 30 - 32 mph. Someone asked what my gear ratios are... They are GOOD! Seriously....... I will check that out when I have a bit more time and let you all know. I do have a GREAT power band for a heavy bike and I am not lacking power at the top end at all. I do live in Chandler and normally have Monday's and Tuesday's off so if someone would like to check the bike out a bit better, just let me know. So far I have about 1400 miles on the bike, about 80 with the new motor and the rest with the good motor I just took off. So far.... knock on wood, I have had absolutely no trouble with the current setup. It is an ideal setup for commuting.... IMO. Best wishes, watch out for the crazies and stay safe on the road!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Hey great job all you crazzy bikies. The article is fine, Dean did us good. I blogged about it too at lennyh.com Actually I had just written an article of my own and did a multi purpose motor bike post there. I included a couple photos, one of Scot's bike in process before the wind fairing and trunk are installed. Scot maybe you could use more of your build photos and take us thru the build process. Just make a new thread, and maybe Larry and Vinnie would give us some hints on their great trike build.
.fly

Last edited:

sfeland

Aug 23, 2008
AZ
sports.webshots.com
Hey great job all you crazzy bikies. The article is fine, Dean did us good. I blogged about it too at lennyh.com Actually I had just written an article of my own and did a multi purpose motor bike post there. I included a couple photos, one of Scot's bike in process before the wind fairing and trunk are installed. Scot maybe you could use more of your build photos and take us thru the build process.
.fly
Hi Lenny, I should get that together and take the time to do that. I have all the photos, I just need to put it all together.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Somebody contact Helmet and let him know there is a picture of him on the track! Susan didn't realize that he wasn't racing and didn't take any photos of him out there during the warm ups.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
Here's me battling with Spunout (Happy)and his Titian.

Spunout had a little fuel cap issue, I was right behind him on his rear wheel. Every time he would pedal coming out of the corners I got a face full of fuel, fun racing with ya Spunout.
ya, you too!
the fuel cap loss, appears as though that may be just the edge i need for next year ;)

sfeland

Aug 23, 2008
AZ
sports.webshots.com
Here is some lost footage, sorry for the poor quality. This is off my other camera and I have no way to load it to the PC so I just video taped it right off the TV.

I did not want to load it to You Tube so I had to cut it in half to upload to PhotoBucket.

Thanks for posting the videos!!! It was fun to watch the race again!
Scot

Last edited by a moderator: