What Size Sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I Have An Occ Stingray With A 80/66cc Engine. It Now Has The Original 44t Sprocket. I Weigh 165 Lbs. I Am Still Breaking In The Engine But The Motor Seems To Be Really Cranking At 20 Mph. The Drive Wheel Is A 20" . I Am Not Interested In Going 40 Mph However Cruise At 32 Would Be Nice.
So What Would The Best Sprocket To Run?

Attachments

eomonkeyboi24

Jun 28, 2009
Minnesota
I Have An Occ Stingray With A 80/66cc Engine. It Now Has The Original 44t Sprocket. I Weigh 165 Lbs. I Am Still Breaking In The Engine But The Motor Seems To Be Really Cranking At 20 Mph. The Drive Wheel Is A 20" . I Am Not Interested In Going 40 Mph However Cruise At 32 Would Be Nice.
So What Would The Best Sprocket To Run?
Try a 32 tooth I've heard they work the best for less rpm's and more mph

Nice build btw. I'm doing an occ myself.

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
Thanks Jim for the calculator

Gear ratio calculator that some might find handy.

The program can be downloaded from Index of /ratiocalc

Just right click on the file gearratio.exe and select "save link as" and put it somewhere you can find it again. Once it's saved, double click on the gearratio.exe file and it will run.

The program allows for up to three ratios in series. If you have fewer just leave the unused ratios set to 1:1.

The program will also calculate speed based on engine RPM, drive ratio,and wheel diameter. Be sure to measure the outside diameter of your wheel for accurate results.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Thanks all.
The Manic Mechanic 32T and adapter worked out great comfortable cruise @ 22mph and still climbs moderate hill very well.

Attachments

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Thanks all.
The Manic Mechanic 32T and adapter worked out great comfortable cruise @ 22mph and still climbs moderate hill very well.
How much does he charge for those? I can't find any on his site.

I'm wondering if they would be better than the $12 36t ones I got from BGF for use with my new SBP pipe.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Xlite,
I don't know how much you weigh or what kind of hills you have. I weigh 165 and some moderate hills. The engine does not scream at 22 mph and no problem with the hills. However there are times that I would like a even lower tooth sprocket. However I would lose some hill climbing ability. the sprocket with the adapter was $48 plus shipping.(actually very reasonable for the Hi quality of the product). You can purchase the sprocket only, but it is not setup for the 9 bolt rag mount. They would probably set it up for you but I have no Idea of the turn around time.
To make a long story short, I would favor a 32 over a 36 anyday. I have put a five speed setup on my second s-OCC. I have ordered another engine for it. My only worry is putting that much load on a standard bicycle chain.
.shft.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Thanks for the info guys. There was no link for the sprocket itself on his home page.

Not a lightweight and huge hills around here but the slant 80cc is no problem so with the new SBP tuned pipe thought a smaller gear might be in order. $32.00+$5.50 for just the sprocket is a little rich for my blood right now. I was spoiled by those $12 chinese cheapies. :)