What parts of my clutch need to be replaced?

GoldenMotor.com

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
The clutch has been running terribly lately, either it's partially engaging with the level all the way in, or its slipping and revving the engine while driving up hills. I opened it up to see what was wrong, but I'm having a hard time finding what it is. Last summer I purposefully bent a new bulge in the clutch plate to help it engage better, and so I think I should replace it now, but also the flower nut doesn't thread right, and I cant find a place where it works. It also makes loud clicking noises, because it collides with the locking nut due to the bent plate. Should I replace the flower nut, or the shaft it goes on? Also, ill put up some pics of the clutch pads, because those might be bad as well.
Descriptions on the images give some more info as well.

http://imgur.com/a/i91nv

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
pads look almost new

pressure plate is not fitting well on the 3 studs as they should not be chewed up at ends

cover has wear mark from pressure plate moving to far out

I'd first make sure hub nut is fully tight, then while socket is still on it, I'd give it a smack with a hammer to be sure the shaft is in far enough

if this makes it work, you're done, but if that flower nut has bad threads now, you will need to replace it

desertsteve

Dec 21, 2013
Victorville, CA United States
Check the nut on the countershaft sprocket on the left side. I had an engine that the clutch was slipping and dragging at the same time. I pulled the left side cover off to look at the bucking bar and the nut fell off into my hand. I put the nut back on with plenty of blue locktite and the clutch worked fine.

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
I'm an idiot. I have no idea how long I was riding without a coil spring behind the pressure plate. While the new one arrives, is there any kind of spring that will work in its place?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I've never seen the clutch plate studs tore up like that. Must be from the bent plate. But they might still work OK. At the very least I would replace the plate and maybe the pads. Do like crassius said to make sure the shaft is in the right place. When adjusting the flower nut, Lock the clutch lever in or do what I do, Tie it down all the way to the handlebars. This will make it easier to screw in the flower nut without tearing it up so much. It makes clutch adjustment a lot easier. And on those TINY bearings in the center of the clutch, if you can get just a drop or two of oil on them it will quite down the clutch noise some. Not too much or it'll wind up on the pads. Oil on pads is BAD. Just a drop or two.
fatdaddy.usflg

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I'm an idiot. I have no idea how long I was riding without a coil spring behind the pressure plate. While the new one arrives, is there any kind of spring that will work in its place?
I rode a bike for YEARS without that spring. All it does is hold out the plate when ya have the clutch lever pulled in and keeps it from rattling and making noise. It has not much to do with clutch performance. And ya didn't hurt a thing by not having it. What I think hurt yer clutch the most is that plate ya bent till it rode wobbly.

fatdaddy.

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
I rode a bike for YEARS without that spring. All it does is hold out the plate when ya have the clutch lever pulled in and keeps it from rattling and making noise. It has not much to do with clutch performance. And ya didn't hurt a thing by not having it. What I think hurt yer clutch the most is that plate ya bent till it rode wobbly.

fatdaddy.
Alright thanks you just saved me from turning apart my garage for a new spring. I bent the plate back into shape. Also, the studs aren't as bad as they look in the picture, I took a second look at them. With the straightened out plate it should run fine though right?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I aint gonna lie to ya son, Once ya bend a piece of metal, it rarely goes back to its original shape. Plates are not very expensive at all. Just buy a new one. OR if ya wanna drop by the shop I'll give you one.LOL The plate needs to be FLAT on the pads. And DO NOT LOOSE that tiny flower nut set screw. I've probably got 10 or 12 of them rolling around under my work bench. One day I'll get one of those PICK-UP magnets just to find out what I have under there,LOL (small screw and BAD vision equal lost screw. AGAIN, LOL
fatdaddy.usflg

http://www.bikeberry.com/clutch-cover.html

Last edited:

ballinchestr

Mar 6, 2014
Central MA
I aint gonna lie to ya son, Once ya bend a piece of metal, it rarely goes back to its original shape. Plates are not very expensive at all. Just buy a new one. OR if ya wanna drop by the shop I'll give you one.LOL The plate needs to be FLAT on the pads.
fatdaddy.usflg
Will do. Won't be here by tomorrow morning when I have to ride though, so the bent one will have to do for a couple miles. It's only bad in the center bit, not so much the contact edges. Might hold up.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
As long as it puts enough pressure on the pads to keep ya rolling. BUT, Replace ASAP as it may cause uneven wear on the pads and LORD KNOWS what other problems may arise from it.
And please, next time ya wanna get "artistic" with a MB part, ASK someone on the site if it'll even work.
fatdaddy.usflg

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
doesn't matter much with one on order, but the spring is easily made from most any light spring that you can cut to fit - as said, it isn't a precise or critical part, but nice to have

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
doesn't matter much with one on order, but the spring is easily made from most any light spring that you can cut to fit - as said, it isn't a precise or critical part, but nice to have
Yer right crassius, It aint critical, But if ya got it, might as well use it. All it does is stop some plate rattle. I use them cause extra engine noise drives me nuts.
fatdaddy.usflg