Opinion Poll- Is this tank too big?

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
What we have here is a Kawasaki KD80 fuel tank. $22 shipped on ebay; deal seemed too good to pass up. Although it's condition appears a little rough, the tank inside isn't too rusty and it came with the cap and petcock (which I've already broke....long story), and generally it seems it should clean up fairly well.

Anyway, my bike build is using a Dyno frame which has a really exagerated bend in the top tube. First I bought a Whizzer repop 4 liter tank; looks great (my opinion) but has two problems on this frame; the petcock interferes with the frame tubing and the curved top tube means the tank won't sit flat on the frame.

Soooo, I started scouring ebay looking for a moped tank or small motorcycle tank. Came across this one and threw the dice. I've already asked the question on my build thread ("Cheap B@stard) but I figured a new post will probably get more views and responses.

The General 5 Star tank appears to be well recieved by motorbiking afficianados, and to my eye it's also a big tank on a bike frame? I think the General is longer but not as tall as the KD80 tank.

So please chime in with your opinion; does this tank appear too large to use? It's not overly wide if that makes a difference.

A pic of the Whizzer repop tank for reference:

A pic of the General 5 Star tank on a Derringer bike:

The original Kawasaki KD80 for reference:

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Don't matter what anybody thinks,Question is,Do YOU like lt?
IT'S YOUR BIKE,BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
fatdaddy.
Ditto: Who cares what others think? It's your bike. If you like it then it's perfect.

Look at some of the motorcycle cafe racers. They use huge tanks that some might say are too big for the bike but still, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder (builder).
Go for what makes you happy. Personally, I like it.

Tom

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Since you asked, I'm going to say that the Whizzer tank looks the best of the lot. The Kawa tank is so big that it might make it look more like a motorcycle than a motorized bicycle (especially to the police). Not sure if this matters to you tho.

Anyway, that's a great looking build you've got going there.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Ditto: Who cares what others think? It's your bike. If you like it then it's perfect.

Look at some of the motorcycle cafe racers. They use huge tanks that some might say are too big for the bike but still, 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder (builder).
Go for what makes you happy. Personally, I like it.

Tom

^^^^ Exactly!!

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Well I like that Kawasaki tank. Yes it does make your bike look more motorbike-like, but that's no bad thing. The proportions look pretty darn good to my eyes and in fact I think it looks better on your bike than it did on the original Kawasaki bike.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I like the way the small tear drop black tank looks. I especially like the way the line causally drops down and blends nicely into the seat. It also "I think" matches the teardrop look of the frame, if you ask me the tank is a bit on the small side, yet with the mileage we get it should be much of a concern

The others drop to quick and do not line up with the seat , I realize that doesn't matter to some people but it does to me ! I think your bike looks absolutely beautiful looks like your taking your time and doing it right!!

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Wonder why the OP hasn't responded to all of the comments.

Tom
I'm still here, Tom. Just taking in the comments; I can see both sides of the "argument", which is why I created this thread initially.

That last comment about the big fenders being painted the same color as the tank has me thinking....seems wheelbender may be on to something. I was wondering if there was a way to visually trick the eye. My idea was to paint those raised side panels a different color than the rest of the tank to create the illusion that the tank is as small as the raised panels.

Good thoughts and comments from everyone that has replied so far, I appreciate your input everyone! I'm still torn. Guess I have a little while to decide.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
What'cha gonna do with that tank if you don't use it.......???? Hint, hint......

If it were mine, I'd use it. I'm to the age now where I tend to suit myself, I don't give a tinker's dally what others think about it.

Good luck with your decision!!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Atom,
Let us ask you. What do you think of it? Do you like the way it looks?

I think it looks good and if it was me the only thing I'd do is build a saddle/seat that was longer and met the rear of the tank then extended back over the rear wheel. That would really give you the cafe racer look. However it looks good just like it is. But that's just one man's opinion.

Let us know what you decide.

Tom

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Atom,
Let us ask you. What do you think of it? Do you like the way it looks?
I do like the way it looks *I think*. Problem is; you know how you have a mental picture in your mind how your bike is going to look; or at least you have a "theme" like BTR, cruiser, etc? Well in my mind, I have been tracking along this line that says this bike is going to be more of a classic looking motorized bicycle. I have some parts such as full fenders, those cool WWII handlebars I just got at a swap meet, etc that will contribute to this overall classic look.

On the other hand, this Kawasaki tank, with it's elevated top surface, more lends itself to either motocross or, as you suggest, a cafe style bike (due to the hugeness of the tank).

So I'm at a crossroads in the design; do I go classic with the springer fork, full fenders, and Whizzer tank? Or do I strip off the fenders, swap out the springer for triple trees, and use this huge tank?

I just can't believe they used such a large tank on a kids bike????

Now THIS is a huge tank:

Last edited: