I'm a newbie with lots of questions

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
Hi guy's . I'm a 52 yr old guy from Port Huron Mi. I've been coming here for about a week now and figured It was about time to introduce myself . I see there's at least a few people here from Michigan and I'm wondering if anyone has actually registered there bike with the secretary of state .
The people at this forum have been awesome about answering all my questions and giving advise . Many thanks to you all !

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
52 year old guy from Grand Rapids here. Haven't registered yet but I will before I put my bike on the road. Any direction I go or at least the destinations I plan to go to will have me riding through at least four different jurisdictions. Odds are I'll get pulled over so I'd better get it legal and registered. I'm interested to know if anyone has been through the process as well. Is it just a matter of printing of the form, signing it and plunking down the $15 or is there more to it?

Rusty1

Jun 12, 2012
U.S.A.
Lol . I wish it was that easy . 1st and foremost the motor needs to be 50cc or less I bought a mag cover that has 48cc engraved on it] , otherwise it has to be registered and insured as a motorcycle . Then you have to have a head light that shines a 100' , tail light , working brake light , horn and front and rear brakes . Then you need to go to the secretary of state and ask for the paper work for an assembled moped and have local law enforcement inspect the bike and sign off on it . THEN you go pay $10 for the assemblers title and $15 for your moped registration . In other words , in the state of Michigan you gotta act like a circus animal and jump threw hoops .

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for the update Rusty. I'm good on all of the requirements (headlight, taillight, etc) and I'm aware of the 50cc limit. The $10 assembled moped form and inspection

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Harold_B said:
Thanks for the update Rusty. I'm good on all of the requirements (headlight, taillight, etc) and I'm aware of the 50cc limit. The $10 assembled moped form and inspection
Dang "send" button is right next to the text entry area on his app... Anyway, the assembled moped form and inspection is news to me. How are they going to verify displacement on an assembled engine or that a headlight shines 100' during the day. Oh well, it might be a little bit of a hassle but at least they are still legal here. Could be worse.