Schwinn Point Beach safety issue, good fix?

GoldenMotor.com

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Ok after seeing and hearing about several fenders breaking loose and causing problems on the bike and the rider I pulled off my front fender. I noticed stress cracks already. And this after 15-20 miles of riding. So here is my fix, hopefully. I got a fiberglass repair kit and laid up 4 layers in resin about 6 inches around the problem area front and back, and out to the ends of the fenders. I simply used tape on the chrome side to keep the resin from seeping through. I'll let you know if it works. Right now they seem extremely strong.

wolverine

Jul 29, 2008
I took another approach on the fenders on my Schwinn. I went to TSC and bought some 1/8 x 3/4 strap steel and bent it to the same shape as the original fender braces. Bolted and loctited new bracket to fender. Took a grinder and removed rivets holding the flimsy fork mount and made one of the same 1/8x3/4 stock ,made it about 4in long on under side of fender bent to shape ,drilled and fastened with a couple 1/4 bolts and again loctite. Now I have a very strong fender and not worried about it failing and eating the front wheel and me with it.

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
Hey Motoschwinn,

I am new to the forum and have yet to build my first bike. I have already ordered an 80 cc engine from eBay which is due to arrive on Tuesday. I just got back from Wal-Mart where I bought a Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser.

I noticed you also have a Point Beach and was hoping you could help: What engine installation problems did you come across on your build? Is there any tips you can give me before I begin my build (seeing as you've built this bike before)?

Thanks much!

- Nick

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
First off, Welcome to our forum! To build the bike take your time. You will very likely be enjoying the bike for a long time. Use the forum for your own knowlege! If you don't know, ask. Our members have more knowlege than any book you could hope to find. Take your time and enjoy a new part of your life! (c)

Just a thought to all. Bicycles you buy at Mass merchandisers are built to meet a price point, not a high quality point. The wheels, fenders, bearings are not the same as a bike from a bike shop, or the old bikes from the '60's, '70's, etc. I do think the frames are ok. Be careful!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
what would you all think of fiberglass fenders?
If anyone interested I can make a mold and knock out some glass fenders I think I might be able to do them in carbon fiber but haven't checked on the price of carbon fiber cloth last I knew the stuff was expensive.
carbon fiber fender straps would be a hoot and strong to boot.
just wondering.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Hey Motoschwinn,

I am new to the forum and have yet to build my first bike. I have already ordered an 80 cc engine from eBay which is due to arrive on Tuesday. I just got back from Wal-Mart where I bought a Schwinn Point Beach Cruiser.

I noticed you also have a Point Beach and was hoping you could help: What engine installation problems did you come across on your build? Is there any tips you can give me before I begin my build (seeing as you've built this bike before)?

Thanks much!

- Nick
You will need the large frame adapter and that is about it. It's a easy build, and a really nice bike. But that front fender will start cracking after a few miles of shaking. PM me and I'll give you my email and help you from there. It's a NICE bike.

Last edited:

NickDK

Aug 24, 2008
Great, thanks Moto. The kit I ordered from eBay says it will have a large frame adapter included. I ordered the 80cc from PowerKingShop. It's due to be here tomorrow, can't wait!

As far as the fender goes, I spose I'll have to just take it off until I find a way to reinforce it. I've never used fiberglass before so I wouldn't really know what to do with that stuff...