"Juicer" e-motor-bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Hello, Boardies,
Welcome to the "Juicer" old-timey e-motor-bicycle thread. I am deep into two builds; one, an old-school low-rider retaining the pedals and with a 1000 watt motor to try to keep it street-legal, the other, a board-track era hommage based on the ubiquitous Worksman Newsboy.

Both will have lithium (LiFePO4) battery packs arranged like cylinders of a v-twin- an e-v-twin if you will.

I draw inspiration from James Hough's marvelous transformation, Aussie Jester's high-tech electric ride, as well as the rides of many other board members. The board-track era is a natural source of inspirado as those early era motorcycles still resembled bicycles more than modern MCs. My goal is to make e-bikes that will reference these classic bikes on a visceral level while using as many off-the-shelf parts as possible.

Here is the rolling chassis of the low-rider build. You can just make out the pillow-block bearings that will hold a jack-shaft, enabling the extreme gearing-down I need.

Although I am merely a shade-tree mechanic, I am determined to make first-class builds. To that end, I have learned how to TIG weld and sprang for the setup. Keep your eyes on this space. Something special is in the offing.

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, Headway 38120's. This first build will be a 36v (12s2P) pack. The controller is a generic electric scooter controller. Are you on the endless-sphere forum?

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
I visit endless-sphere from time to time, but I don't post there much (lots of smarter people than I'm are there). Just keeping track of what is good stuff for e-bikes.
Some people (from other e-bike forum - Europe) use Headway heavily , but in combination with hub motors and Kelly controllers (and newest toys are sensor-less controllers).
We don't use much brushed motors (unless we get them for free) , because of loses , therefore, reduced range. Controllers are usually hacked for more Amps or to change the voltage and enable regen (meaning , you buy cheap one and make it work like expensive one). Pretty much - never ending quest for cheap ride that performs extremely. Batteries are the biggest problem (price wise), because you just can't make them DIY way (anyway - in a useful manner) .

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Those are great looking frames. The lowrider provides plenty of space for battery and motor mounting options. The long, lowrider also allows you to mount the heavy batteries very low in the frame.
I have seen a few electric board trackers and they look great.

wildwestrider

Apr 17, 2009
Austin, Tejas
is your ev Twin something you have fabricated yourself,.....or is this available in the retail marketplace? Are the blue cylinders just tubes or........could those be batteries?.........that would be just way too clever!!!!

Brian

Last edited:

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
is your ev Twin something you have fabricated yourself,.....or is this available in the retail marketplace? Are the blue cylinders just tubes or........could those be batteries?.........that would be just way too clever!!!!

Brian
Yes, yes, no, yes.

I hope to offer builds and components for people of means.

Recumpence

Aug 30, 2009
Illinois
The only bummer of this build is the relatively tame power output of that motor. It looks cooler than it will run, I'm afraid.

I love the look, though. I have a design in my head of twin brushless motors belt driving a common jackshaft with the motors in the position of cylinders with the drive belt looking like a cam belt going to the jackshaft (crank?). :)

Anyway, it looks very nice.

Matt

Flügelwagen

Mar 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Maybe you know something I don't about the motor. It's 1000w which is the legal limit for a bicycle here in Cali.

Good luck with your twin-motor design.

:)

Recumpence

Aug 30, 2009
Illinois
Please don't take my comment as a criticism. I did not mean to make it sound like I do not like the "Engine". I LOVE it! It just looks cooler than the ouput power would suggest.

I am a high power guy. That is all. I work with extremely high output brushless permanent magnet motors meant for the RC industry.

Matt

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
That looks freaking pimp.
Very , very cool looking solution(c)(^)
That is freakin BRILLIANT idea i wish i had tho9ught of that!!! I LOVE V-Twins
but would never entertain the idea of a 'faux' motor but your solution isn't that it is functional
Best of luck with the rest of the build *subscribed*

I am a high power guy. That is all. I work with extremely high output brushless permanent magnet motors meant for the RC industry.
Recumpence is the freakin KING of e-bikes fellas, a inspriation and pioneer of rc motors on e-bikes , he makes truly INSANE bikes and trikes if you want to run a rc motor setup Matt can hook you up with all the components you need, i know because he hooked me up haha SUPERB quality CNC reduction drives Astro rc motors speed controllers custom rims he also is an agent for KMX trikes! Checkout his latest build-->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKAMus3oSdw\

Last edited: