• Cargo Rack

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Basket

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
Tips & Ideas for Trailers/Carts/Chariots/Sidecars/& other Cargo-Carrying Devices

I searched and found only threads on one persons trailer. I was hoping for a collection of everyone's ideas, projects, trailers, carts, and tips, but didn't find one. So here it is- the collection of tips and ideas to carry around your cargo.

Thanks everyone for contributing!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, dig the sig Stevo. There are a bunch of threads on em and some really great stuff and ideas. Today I started a bobber (one wheel and leans with bike) type trailer and will post pics soon. Did a search and got these. trailer - Google Search Some amazing builders here.

Joe, just got around to redoing that DVD for ya. (I know, me suks) Will mail payday. Hehe, blew this mad money payday on trailer parts but its coming out really cool.

.flg.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
My setup.
Max gross towed weight has been 165 lbs; probably could load it up a bit more, but stopping becomes more of a problem than going.
Brakes have been upgraded to an 8" Shimano rotor and Avid BB7 caliper on the front.

Fabian

Attachments

Last edited:

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
You can add chariots/rickshaws/sidecars/sidehacks to that list. And I too would like to hear/see some tips and ideas. Infact, a few weeks ago I put in a request to add a subforum for such a collection of ideas.

Anywhoosel, an idea that I might try on my own time, with the help of my crazy and reckless best friend, is to make a single-wheeled chariot using a 20" wheel with pegs harnessed to the bike with an oxtail tube. Handlebars included...seat might come later.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
My setup.
Max gross towed weight has been 165 lbs; probably could load it up a bit more, but stopping becomes more of a problem than going.
Brakes have been upgraded to an 8" Shimano rotor and Avid BB7 caliper on the front.

Fabian
Fabian, that has to be one of the best trailers I ever did saw. Very cool and really like the hatch. That is good info and glad you mentioned it about breaking/stopping.

.flg.

Gonna go take pics of "Bob De'Trailer" right now. To early to make any noise and was wondering what to do. An it's a rainy Sunday morning here here.

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
The trailer is mostly made out of scrap material: 5/16 plywood from packing crates found in an industrial estate and 3mm thick aluminium section found in the dump master of a company who makes shower screens and doors and bathroom fitouts.

The most expensive components were the gas struts, followed by the screws, bolts and nylocks (i wanted a riveted look) and finally the trailer base (2007-2008 Burley Tailwagon Dog Trailer) which i got from a closeout sale, make that a "throwout" sale as the company was deleting their distributorship for Burley Trailers and wanted the stuff 'gone'.

One of the consequences of using gas struts to magically open the lid is the pressure placed on the hinges, as the lid is trying to push itself forward as it is being closed.
Because there's about 2mm of play in a normal door hings, the lid then cannot close when being fully lowered.
I had no choice but to eliminate the play and use a specialty ball bearing hinge to solve the closing problem.

So far, i haven't come across anyone with a similarly designed trailer, but i'm sure there are people on motor bicycling who have plans to go one step further in a professional trailer build.
My interest would be to see someone build a 4 wheeled, independant suspension trailer with electrically operated disk brakes on all 4 wheels to handle off-road conditions with better stability, not to mention superior braking performance with heavy loads.

Fabian

Last edited:

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
My build is gonna be a 2-wheeled, heavier duty cart. Check out this link on google to see a 3d model...<http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=11a4bc999455aeb0617513dddc91a065&prevstart=0>

I have almost all the pipes cut. This will require welding, but i know a nice guy who'll do it for not too expensive.

Some tips...(gathered from a few forums and places- i don't actually have experience driving carts)

-For a stable, heavy duty cart, consider going with a 2-wheeler.
-Lighter, easier-to-handle carts should be one-wheeled.
-The best hitches are either bolted to the axle or seatpost(I think)
-Axle hitches are closest to the axis of the bike(which is the point where the wheels touch the ground) and will have the least affect on handling.
-Seat-post hitches are stronger than axle hitches, but will push the bike around more.
-Check out my site for links and progress on my cart... <http://stevolandis.webs.com/mystuff.htm>

Have fun!

Attachments

Last edited:

stevolandis

Feb 20, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
An update on my cart- I cut all the pipes, and have the box welded. I have to work on the hexagon base and hitch, and that's about it. I will use it to transport my push mower and weedwacker for my lawn care service.

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
I took an old kid cart that I found at a yard sale and stripped off the rotted canvas/nylon and made a cart out of it. Now I dont mind making "dump runs"! All for a $5.oo investment and some time, I think it turned out well.

Attachments

pj-pirate

Mar 17, 2010
So Calif
I use the cart on both the trike and a motorised mountain bike with a shift kit. The trike is used on the "flats" and the MB is used at my house in the mountains. I make daily 3-5 mile grocer/trash/postoffice runs. Even loaded with 2-3 cases of beer/wine you dont even notice it behind!