Mounting Help!

GoldenMotor.com

cruiserdude

Feb 9, 2009
chandler
Ok, well i came to just another problem with my motor! My Mounting with the U Bolts did not hold the engine right, so i just decided to Drill thru my frame..i did that alright. Now that the engine is sitting straight down my tube, I run into the problem where my drive chain is touching my tire while resting on my Back tire Sprocket! Ive done everything, Ive added Washers to the engine, Ive pulled the engine to the left as much as i could, but it still wouldnt be straight with the sprocket. Im not sure the back Sprocket can move because theres a wedge on the outside, meaning if the sprocket moves a bit out, it will slide off. When i had the U bolt on i had the motor leaning about 1 inch to its side, but the motor was unstable that it would shake on a 30 min. ride

Can you guys give me some advanced techniques that might help (including welding techniques).

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Do you have pics? Is it a "normal" bike? is the tire just too fat? I had that problem when I put on a nice big fat mountain bike tire. The rubber got worn away in a month until I could see the belts.Is your sprocket the "dished" one or is it flat? The dished ones can be turned to get the teeth outwards.

cruiserdude

Feb 9, 2009
chandler
ok i have a 7 speed Greenline beach cruiser bike, not sure how big the tire is but its filled to 40psi. My sprocket is just a flat 9 hole sprocket..the teeth seems normally equal all around...i have one big rubber circle on the outside of the spokes, one on the inside of the spokes.

Ive gotten to the point where im gonna hire someone to weld me some arms that will lean it out a bit. I just dont understand why they dont inform about this problem in any of the instructions.

Last edited:

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Your just frustrated right now, there are thousands of us that don't seem to have your problem. I will search for a pic of your bike so that I can see the frame and hopefully, someone else will pipe in with thoughts. Just hang in there, these things always get solved.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I guess this is your bike. Having never worked on a cruiser style bike , I can't help you much but the frame seems normal.
I wish you luck and please don't give up, someone will help you.

Attachments

cruiserdude

Feb 9, 2009
chandler
thank you Toytime for the picture, Since i am at work i am not able to upload a picture of my bike, but that is the bike i have excluding all the flames. I AM frustrated, mostly because i cut half of my fender thinking it would solve the problem, but i dont care about that as long as i get a mounting technique that works.

If anyone has any suggestions with this kind of bike, let me know! thanks!

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Here's a pic of a "dished" sprocket. It can be flipped around to bring the chain in closer or farther away. Do you think this would be enough to get that chain away from the tire?

Attachments

tarstar

Jun 16, 2009
can
i have the same issue i cannot fit it in place i have pictures available but just dont know how to pos tthem anyone who has a email i can send you them

tarstar

Jun 16, 2009
can
thanks and sorry for my in compentence if thats how you spell it lol ,, im really trying my best !! im just new today so forgive me:-||

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
When you remounted your rim did you make sure it was parallel with the bike because if it is off a little bit you can have that problem.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
put a spacer between rear sprocket and wheel. your tensioner will keep chain lined up with sprocket. plus you can adjust your rear wheel away from the chain by atleast 1/8".

drhofferber

Jun 22, 2008
you can adjust the axle position...is it a 7 speed...does it have a derailur...or coaster brake single speed...my first build was a scwhinn southport...it came with 1.75 rims and 2.125 cruiser tires...now the profile of a tire is fat and tall...when you fill them with air on 1.75 rim they puff out...a mountain bike tire has a lower profile and doesnt puff out as much...so what i ended up doing is going with a steel rim from bike parts usa, which have 12 gauge spokes...only the rear...than i put a 1.95 mt bike tire, with slime tube...you can buy the wheel for 25 plus shipping...i used a dish sprocket and reversed it...that gave me about 3/16 space from tire...like i said you can adjust the axle right or left for alianment...what i do with all of my bikes is put a solid inner tube in the front from wally world and you must use a mt bike tire...prefer 1.95...no bigger...also my schwinn i used the plate with the muffler clamp and i broke a mount bolt in the front...went threw the frame...bought grade 8 bolts and used them...not from home depot or lowes...i'll give you a pic what i come up with...anyway good luck and pay attention...Dennis...had 1000 miles on it before i gave it to my brother and never had a problem with the mounts again...

Attachments

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
You might be able to "dish" the wheel. You loosen the spokes on the sprocket side (loosen the sprocket first) and tighten the other side pulling the whole rim to the left.