GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I have to chime in on this one.
I got the Whizzer, the Puch moped and the Thinkbike for less than about $200. That's three types of motorized bikes for a small price. The Thinkbike is dead, the Whizzer is a big loud heavy toad and the Puch, as gay as it seems, is still going strong.
Each have or had their own special appeal. The moped wasn't running when I got it, it cost me a free spark plug wire and a gallon of gas to get it running perfect. My wife has the easiest time on the moped. The Whizzer cost me nothing (barter) it was running crappy at first, then better after re-routing the idiot crankcase breather hose and de-greasing the coaster brake. The Whizzer is by far the most maintenance intensive. The Thinkbike was cool, but wasn't designed for someone over 175 lbs. That cost me $80 some odd for batteries. One day it went "click" and never woke up again.
I love the moped when I'm in heavy urban traffic, I loved the Thinkbike on quiet neighborhood streets and city park trails, but it was a rough ride. The Whizzer is totally impractical for the city traffic around here due to the "manual" clutch but on a long stretch it thumps along nicely, almost as fast as the moped. The moped HAS been the most reliable so far and almost all parts are readily available..
I'm gonna get a two stroke china kit someday and a four stroke non-Whizzer also.
I'm just a two wheel junkie.
Mopeds can be easily "kitted" also to get 45 plus top end. The Puch is easy to fix, even a flat tire on the side of the road (it came with a built-in tool kit), but pedaling home after running out of gas- a herculean marathon of pedal pumping, it's way easier to walk and push. I'm thinking of gearing the front sprocket or rear to allow more efficient pedaling.
Any ideas for that?
I really want to drag race a regular two stroke kit bicycle vs my Puch and compare take-off and top end. Not to prove anything, just for science. I suspect the Puch will jump way out in front at first but I'm wondering how long a two stroke 50cc bike will take to catch up. I still have a sick fantasy to put a Puch engine on a bicycle. I firmly believe Puch engines are superior to the china ones. I also want the laws relaxed on mopeds, darn it, but as long as I can go fast enough to catch bugs in my teeth I'm a happy two wheeled motored anything rider.
I think the post that started this might have been a moped fan to begin with and the question was rhetorical. Moped Riders Association are generally good people, the other moped site's inhabitants...? :D
I really enjoyed that Weedy, thanks. Even though I think you would be disappointed with a chinagurl you should get one so you know why the rest of us pull our hair out in frustration at times, snork. (They are evil mistress'ess of the dark!((that I love and they look so cool!))

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I really don't understand why anyone would mess around with one of these bike motors when they can spend a few more dollars and get a moped.

Bikes aren't built for these motors; mopeds are built from the ground up for their motors.

What's the point?

ric
Easy to change the engine... Don't need to go to a 300% mark up DeAlEr grease ball for new parts or tires.. There are hundreds of reasons archived in these forums. 150-200 MPG vs Foreign oil.. Own a tank and ride a bike! Why kill a sparrow with a 50 cal. when it can be done with a slingshot?

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
I just can't help posting on this. (Lord help me). I have owned a moped, a lambretta scooter,and about 50 motorcycles over the past too many years. The only 2 wheeler I wrecked was the Lambretta scoot. I did a 1 and 1/2 over the handlebars. Landed on the back of my head. Thank goodness I an old schlesinger helmet on my dome. The moped was ok but kinda like kissing your sister. I currently have 3 Harleys one BSA and a Honda 6 clyn CBX. I prefer my china girl beach bike to all of the others.

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
Cool Cliff! I am in NW Indiana and see scooters, mopeds and harley's all over the place. I have an old western flyer in storage and a very few other beach bikes. YES they are so cozy just to pedal! What size engine does it have? I am thinking about an 80cc though the legal limit is 48cc. I figure if you follow the rules and ride safely all would be peachy. I have slid on ice, in the rain and once flipped a kaw in the middle of the street where one side was higher than the other due to road construction drunk the wrong way down a one way after an iron maiden concert.
That was one of the happiest days of my late 20's.

Cheers

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I just posted an ad on craigslist...looking for a Puch moped in good running condition.

Methinks my B.O.B. trailer can be made to fit my Raleigh bicycle ORRR a Puch..bld.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Puch="Pook"...

I have heard it pronounce many ways, but the one "expert" that was a Diamler Puch guy said it's pronounce POOK.

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
Puch makes a great Moped . Not sure why people would frown on the Puch Made in Austria.. Or is it Germany? I forget.. But not frown on the Tomos which is made in India. I can tell you this. I have a Vespa and Motobecane moped Still. I may sell the Vespa and keep just the motobecane. The Motobecane made in France is the fastest 50cc moped I have ever ridden in factory form. It has beat my SOLO made in Germany, Sold that one... It whips up on my Vespas . I had 2 of them now only one. I have never come across a moped as powerful and fast as the Motobecane. Not ever... And.. I can tell you this.. My F80 Dax motor on a bicycle will out pull, out drag , out run, out speed , and out Handle the Motobecane. Hands down !! Also in stock form. A half way decent running MAB with a Good times or China GT motor as they are called will run circles around any moped I have ever met . Period. If you have a 50cc moped and it is stock, and you want to try me pinks, and you are in my area.. Let me know. Lets do it !!! Then I will sell your moped when we are done .. As for long life.. Well. The motobecane is a middle 70's model with around 2000 miles on it. Some of my Customers with the cheap little DAX Gt motors have as many as 16,000 miles and counting .. No kidding.. What is the reason for this? Because when you get a GT motor and install it on your bike, you ride it !! It is addictive !! and you ride and ride and ride !! It is a blast !!

Roadkill

Feb 14, 2009
Roadkill, USA
I just posted an ad on craigslist...looking for a Puch moped in good running condition.

Methinks my B.O.B. trailer can be made to fit my Raleigh bicycle ORRR a Puch..bld.
I have an old Columbia and used to have an Itom in the 80's.. Also have some other thing that looks like a Japanese moped I bought off someone for 15 bucks for possible chain/sprocket in a future build.

A Puch.. Have not seen one of them in a while. Were there any old kick start vespa's? I imagine thee must have been. In Chicago there are a couple vintage and new hardcore moped shops that mostly deal in cool euro peds... Oh well.. too late to look for that dream job.. Maybe fixing rigs like this will be my job!

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Basically mopeds suck---i have never had more fun building planning dreaming--i have had motorcycles and a quad --no comparison--opens up soo much conversation i feel like 16 iam 62
Having lots of fun working on "The Whizzard", "The Dragon Lady", "The Iron Dragon"...and the B.O.B. push trailer.

I want the Puch because it'll be a safer ride for my trailer to push to higher speeds.

I also am 62 and feel like a teenager.dance1

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
OK Dax, I'll be glad to race. I'll have to take the gloves off and post for the world to see that I've never seen a 50cc MB keep up with my Puch in a quarter mile yet. :D
When I do, I'll readily post it.
Oh! I'll possibly have the chance, if I can get Fred at Freedom USA to race.
I've caught up to and overtaken a few so far, but we weren't formerly racing and when we would stop at a light I guess the guys I've encountered just don't have the giddy-up on because the Puch always gets the jump. The ones I've encountered though were pretty ratty looking and their bikes were too. One guy at Spooky calls that class of customer L.B.Bs, an abbreviation of low budget bastards, MBs appeal to the meth crazed and chronic alkies around here because they don't require plates or insurance, a big plus for MBs. That's why I want one.:D

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
OK Dax, I'll be glad to race. I'll have to take the gloves off and post for the world to see that I've never seen a 50cc MB keep up with my Puch in a quarter mile yet. :D
When I do, I'll readily post it.
Oh! I'll possibly have the chance, if I can get Fred at Freedom USA to race.
I've caught to and overtaken a few so far, but we weren't formerly racing and when we would stop at a light I guess the guys I've encountered just don't have the giddy-up on because the Puch always gets the jump. The ones I've encountered though were pretty ratty looking and their bikes were too.
A 1/4 mile? I reach top speed in like 50-60 yards.

I will shave my legs, arms, all body hair and wear spandex....that makes you faster right? rotfl

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
You're on!laff
Are you riding a 50cc?
I'll be heading to the northwest side tomorrow, right near Freedom USAs shop.
As I've stated all along, I don't think a 50cc MB has the out of the hole acceleration that a 2 horse 50cc Puch has. I think a 50 MB WILL catch up after a while though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.