missing thread (boost porting)

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
hey some of you probably checked out the thread that demonstrates removing part of the
cylinder wall to increase air flow. does anyone know what happened to this thread? i am still considering doing this mod but i wanted to hear more about what everyone else thought..sno.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
There was another one by someone else that basically opened up the transfer ports in the bottom of the cylinder (with a half hacksaw) and referred to it as boost porting...and I can't find it.

edit - I know for a fact that I was subscribed to it. I've gone back to the beginning of Jan and can't find it. Lame.

Last edited:

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
thanks ghost, thats a similar thread.

thats exactly what i did. :/ i wonder what happened to it?

did either of you try this mod? i know other engines are built this way but im cautious.

thanks

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
are you referring to the thread that's still missing where the hacksaw was used? I haven't tried it, but I would like to eventually.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Guys- the thread was deleted due to the original poster going ballistic and saying things like "I've seen the questions you idiots ask and this is the best thing you'll ever do to your engine" "I know more than all of you put together" ect.

It was in response partly to me saying "Do this mod at your own risk and be ready to have to buy a new jug if it screws the cylinder up."

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Well I had never seen those posts. May have been more appropriate to delete the offending posts and lock the thread, that way it was still there for reference.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here's the bottom line- If you want to hack up your engine, do so at your own risk, and have fun....these engines are cheap enough, but the advice was not proven to be sound, and there is always a chance that a newb may take it as gospel and ruin an engine.

The reaction of the OP was enough to remove the whole thread.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometimes, it's hard to make everyone happy, so the decision is made to do what is best for the "masses."

If someone reacts in such a froward way as the OP did, then we don't need them or their "advice" here....Flame wars, admonitions, ect. are not what we do here.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think we all understand that anything we find on here is "do at your own risk." The technique may have not been proven sound, but I don't think is was disproven either. The OP's reaction may have been out of line, but the original premise of the thread wasn't.

There are plenty of threads around here that could lead a newb to ruin his/her motor.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about that.

I will await mechanickid or anybody else trying the mod and posting up pictures and results.

On the 2nd page of the link provided at the top of this thread is a link to a picture with a diagram of what material to remove.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Jason- Not everyone understands that. There are rank newbs that don't even know which end of a screwdriver to hold, and telling someone to "use a hacksaw and cut up the engine" is not the greatest advice.

If you could point out other threads that could lead to ruining an engine, PLEASE point them out....

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
it did mention that "if your not mechanical do not try this mod" but true, someone could be stupid enough to misunderstand.

personally i think it would be nice to have the thread there if people didn't get immature.

its still too cold up here for me to want to embark on anything so it will be a little while before i try anything. i am going to make sure my engine runs fist before i try the mod, that way i know that if it doesn't run it wasn't because of the mod.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Jason- Not everyone understands that. There are rank newbs that don't even know which end of a screwdriver to hold, and telling someone to "use a hacksaw and cut up the engine" is not the greatest advice.

If you could point out other threads that could lead to ruining an engine, PLEASE point them out....
Well using the "which end of a screwdriver to hold" mentality, then europorsche's thread on boost porting, any thread on lapping the head for more compression, porting the exhaust and intake manifolds, notching the piston, porting the intake and exhaust ports, modifying the carb, modifying motor mounts.... any of those can lead a newb to ruining a motor. If someone isn't mechanically inclined, just installing one of these things improperly can lead to ruining it.

I'll agree that a newb can mess up their motor if they follow some of the instructions on here. I think those types of things need to be in the hi-perf area, which most of them are. Only problem is, lots of people don't pay attention to where it's at :)

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I was hoping that such threads were noted by newbs to be in the "danger danger" realm.

The "boost porting" thread was a little sketchy in that it (seemed to me) that the "just use a broken chunk o' hacksaw, and give 'er ****" would lead to a less experienced person doing damage.

Now, if a level headed member were to do this mod, post photos and real world results, that would be more than welcome.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
Now, if a level headed member were to do this mod, post photos and real world results, that would be more than welcome.

and thats what im going to try to do.

upon hearing that other engines have this type of airflow im not as worried about trying it,
but i guess i'll just have to see.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
O.K., so anyone want to do a thread about this mod in the Performance area?

Please do. Post photos, and results, and we'll leave the thread open for folks to read, try, post results in.

Now say goodnight Gracie, I will lock this one down and we can go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.