Missing chain tensioner and band-aid fix.

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Going to work yesterday I thought that my pedal drive felt just a bit strange.

So I came out during the day to adjust my rear wheel. I found that the chain tensioner roller was completely missing. No sign of it. After thinking about it for a bit, I came up with a decent substitute.

emergency chain tensioner 01.jpg

It's a machine screw. I didn't even bother to check size or length. I suppose it was an inch and a half or so. Double-nutted to the chain tensioner bracket.

Then on the chain side I filled the shaft of the screw with washers that fit loosely on the screw. They'd do the same thing as a roller would. Double-nutted the end to hold them on.

emergency chain tensioner 02.jpg

I only had to go about 12 miles before I could get my spare roller on there. But it worked so well that I think I could have ridden indefinitely.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have a customer who replaced his with washers and a sleeve. Does not spin at all, the chain just slides over it and it's been working perfectly for over a year. Loud but functional.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've seen many non-rotating tensioners in industrial applications. Just keep it well lubricated and not too much chain tension and they work well. I've seen them made of steel, brass and plastic/nylon/teflon.

Tom

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
most important job of tensioner is to make the section from tensioner to rear sprocket perfectly centered