vintage look engine?

GoldenMotor.com

Banjoben

Aug 12, 2012
N.Y.
OK guys, I did some searching, but not too in depth. Other than the mild/ medium mods I see on most builds, is anyone going to great lengths to make the modern motors look old?
I mean, really convincingly look old. not just cleaning off brackets and shields and making a plate for the bottom to replicate the old crankcase profile (I'll admit, that stuff goes a long way in the right direction).
Don't get me wrong. I've seen some really great looking builds here, with excellent jobs done on the engines, but is seems to me, from a newbie perspective, that if one of these bikes has a chink in the illusion, that it's gonna be a modern looking motor on an otherwise very convincing recreation.
Again, I'm not picking on anyone's work. I just wondered if I'm missing something.
Prove me wrong. I'd love to see what people have done. I know what I'm planning to do. First I gotta get my hands on one or two of the more commonly used engines here. Specifically one of those Honda motors.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
There are a number of builds that actually use vintage engines and pull it off nicely. Buddfabbs Maytag Twin bicycle, he also has a custom homemade engine. You can search for them on Youtube.... Also look at Mr B's build http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37011..... Louie McCanns bikes are also very vintage looking.

But if you are referring to the more modern clone engines being used, its a little more difficult to get them to look like the more rounded boardtrack engines. The best clone i have seen made to look a little more vintage looking was the Dixie Flyer build. But the enigne was an upright GC model rather then the GX everone uses. Here is the engine on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ugqoQFza-I&feature=channel&list=UL

Banjoben

Aug 12, 2012
N.Y.
Great stuff! that's what I was talking about! Love that German build with the Sachs engine. That guy is amazing. Buddfab is in a class of his own. He's an outstanding builder. And the Dixie Flyer is Fantastic.
Using actual vintage engines is the best, and my favorite, but I want to try and produce a modern, readily available engine, that could be mistaken for being built in the early 1900s.
. I have a Briggs 3 horse cast aluminum engine hanging around here that I'm going to try some of my concepts on, and If I like the result, I'd like to apply them to one of the new Honda engines and see what happens.
again, thanks you guys. This is a great group. I really appreciate how eager you are to offer information to a new guy like me.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
I didn't go all out like the Dixie Flyer build, but I have faux external push rods with rockers and copper oil lines. BBQ heat resistant paint does wonders painting the cylinder to look like a cast iron unit. I utilized all the existing engine mounts for mounting things that make the engine look old. Faux oil lines too. I should replace the spark plug wires with vintage cloth weave.

Last edited: