Wondering about how to cope w/ traffic?

GoldenMotor.com

JonD

Aug 8, 2012
Virginia Beach
I just put a 66cc motor in my specialized hard rock mountain bike... I've only been running it on a 25 mph road and I have been yelled at, given the stink eye, and I've been 'buzzed' a couple times. Only the police cars seem to be tolerant. I'm a motorcycle rider so I know how to drive this little bike safely (I even put turn signals and a brake light on it) but I've never seen so much instant negative attention. Are there any steps anyone out there has taken to reduce this?

Thanks,
Jon from Virginia Beach, VA

PS: I think I've had more fun riding this bike than I have my motorcycles. The cheapness of the parts, 30lb weight, and amount of customizability is fantastic! I only got 22 mph with a 44 tooth direct drive but I have a sick bike parts shift kit on order... I can't wait! An automotive electric supercharger, a decent excuse for a carburetor and a tail pipe that doesn't self eject its parts might help to lol

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Welcome aboard! I have that exact same bike I intend to build on eventually. I like to take the back way around when at all possible like behind wal-mart & grocery stores as well as side streets. I also ride like I'm invisible as if nobody can see me cause a lot of people just plain don't see you or expect a bicycle to go that fast. If I get in heavy traffic I pull over & let the main flo go thru. I also try to be as visible as possible an orange vest is a good idea and plenty of lighting at night. I point led flashlights into my spokes to illuminate them. These things are fun and can be safe if you ride the right way.

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Yeah...It's tough sometimes. i've noticed that even if the speed limit is 25 mph..and I'm goin 30 or so , EVERYONE just has to pass me. I don't think it would matter if I was goin 40 in a 25 , They are obsessed with passing me , whether there is room to pass or not. A good set of mirrors is mandatory. I also try to take as many back roads as possible. Have fun and be safe !

DIANY

Mar 8, 2012
nampa
yup, Mann knows whats up.. i dont have a spedo.. but.. im sure i do the limit.. my advice is to make your bike cooler so they kinda slow down to get a good look at it LOL

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I ride in the shoulder or as far over as I can get when there is heavy traffic. Even on city streets, most cars can pass me without going around, although plenty of them still do. And even if cagers dont like me being on the road, guess what? I plain out dont give a f*ck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jon,
The best advice, and if you're a motorcycle rider you know this, 'Ride as if you're invisible'.

That's how I think of myself whenever I'm on the street with my bikes. I ride under the assumption that drivers can't see me and its up to me to make the decisions. I never assume that they see or know I'm even there. Even when I make eye contact I always give the cars the right of way. After all they do outweigh me by a few pounds.

Good luck and ride safe.

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
And a previously thought out escape route if you're going to do that to strangers.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Lol baird and 3B! Yea, at least a left side mirror for sure to see what's coming up on you. When I'm at a light and some cager yells obscenities, "nice helmet", or if they just laugh, I like to say "I've got maybe $500 tied up to get over 120mpg, what's that thing get for what it cost?" They change their tune pretty quick, heh heh.

Ride safe.

cmanns

Jul 1, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
Lol baird and 3B! Yea, at least a left side mirror for sure to see what's coming up on you. When I'm at a light and some cager yells obscenities, "nice helmet", or if they just laugh, I like to say "I've got maybe $500 tied up to get over 120mpg, what's that thing get for what it cost?" They change their tune pretty quick, heh heh.

Ride safe.
This.

I was just toying with my engines pull start and had a crowd of people outside a friends apartment trying to offer me 100 LOL. I laughed at their pitty offers and told them I'd rather give it away to someone who'd enjoy it then sell it to a ****** bag for 100 because it don't start. Then as they walked off I fired it up and as they look back thinking maybe they should offer alil more I gave them the birds :D.

but man I've never had people yell or honk, one guy when I stopped for a smoke came to down talk me like a dad. He was parked where he shouldn't of been, and I was coming from the bike side and had to swoop out as he opened his door. Sure I'd of face planted and ripped his car door off, but I'd of got a nice insurance claim. Didn't tell him though, let him run his course.

Sometimes it's best to just keep a light mind on what others say.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I agree a rear view mirror is very important. U can tell who is gonna give you room and who isnt. Be careful and enjoy. As someone sai earlier drive like they don't see you.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
Maybe I just have good peripheral vision, but I can't imagine trying to use bar mirrors. I've yet to find a set of bar mirrors for a light vehicle like a bike that is steady enough to use without intense scrutiny. I'd rather glance over my shoulder every once in a while.

Either way, they mindset is the same... I act like the people behind me, in front of me, merging, and parking and anything are all oblivious. Eventually one of them will be.

Had a bit of a laugh the other day when a very, VERY nice BMW crotch-rocket was riding by me in a 35... for 4 miles, we each went exactly the speed limit =)

I had a hard time coping with traffic even in a bike-friendly city, but with a 36t sprocket, NGK plug, nonrestrictive exhaust (x-chamber comes tomorrow!) and decent hubs, I found the performance I was looking for and now I can keep up with traffic just fine. In fact, I have enough torque that I pass most vehicles from a stop. And I'm messing with a friction clutch without slipping it! =) Hopefully I'll get even better performance with a shift-kit and NuVinci hub, that's next summer's project =)

There'll always be some people that want to pass you because you look slow.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I live in Austin, a very bike friendly city.
I ride respectfully and haven't had too much problems with people being angry.
I had a motorcyclist block for me once when a car was riding me in the shoulder because they wanted to turn right, but that is the only memorable incident.
I also ride like nobody sees me, and I am the only responsible party on the road! I have had plenty of people turn right in front of me, as has anyone that rides a bike on a regular basis.
What I would like to get for those instances is an air horn! That would be pretty sweet up next to my front wheel on my MB, don't you think?

Attachments

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
I'd like this set of horns: http://www.gizmag.com/hornster-worlds-loudest-bicycle-horn/22457/

=)

Funny how right after I post her and say that I've never had any bad traffic experiences here, it happens. Guy pulled up right behind me at a stop-- not one foot away from my rear tire-- gunned his SUV and honked repeatedly, rolled down his window, leaned out, threw some F-bombs and asked where the hooey my license was, yelling at me to get off the road. I was doing 33 in a 35, keeping to the shoulder... if he was in a sedan he could have passed me. And of course it was right after that my entire left pedal crank just fell off, forcing me to comply. See, someone tried to steal my bike this morning, and though they failed (12lb, 1" hardened steel chain.) they somehow busted my left crank arm off. I made the mistake of riding it immediately after retightening/loctiting it.

off-topic, but to top it all off the top of my NT carb needle sleeve cap unscrewed itself, creating an air leak (didn't have pliers with me to tighten it) and my right chainguard fell off after I retightened the crank for the ride home. It's been so good for so long, and then in one day, things just start falling off of it! I blame bike thieves. Wish I got a plate number on his truck. Eventually after I fix EVERYTHING that breaks, I'll know that everything is reliable =)

Last edited:

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'd like this set of horns: http://www.gizmag.com/hornster-worlds-loudest-bicycle-horn/22457/

=)

Funny how right after I post her and say that I've never had any bad traffic experiences here, it happens. Guy pulled up right behind me at a stop-- not one foot away from my rear tire-- gunned his SUV and honked repeatedly, rolled down his window, leaned out, threw some F-bombs and asked where the hooey my license was, yelling at me to get off the road. I was doing 33 in a 35, keeping to the shoulder... if he was in a sedan he could have passed me. And of course it was right after that my entire left pedal crank just fell off, forcing me to comply. See, someone tried to steal my bike this morning, and though they failed (12lb, 1" hardened steel chain.) they somehow busted my left crank arm off. I made the mistake of riding it immediately after retightening/loctiting it.

off-topic, but to top it all off the top of my NT carb needle sleeve cap unscrewed itself, creating an air leak (didn't have pliers with me to tighten it) and my right chainguard fell off after I retightened the crank for the ride home. It's been so good for so long, and then in one day, things just start falling off of it! I blame bike thieves. Wish I got a plate number on his truck. Eventually after I fix EVERYTHING that breaks, I'll know that everything is reliable =)
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT! tighten the throttle cap with ANY tools. you will make the barrel go out of round and the throttle slide will get stuck. I used to tighten the cap with pliers on my first carb, and my throttle slide got stuck at the top of the barrel. I had another carb, and I had to build a new carb out of parts. luckily they were both the same exact carb. just some friendly advice brother. only tighten that by hand.

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT! tighten the throttle cap with ANY tools. you will make the barrel go out of round and the throttle slide will get stuck. I used to tighten the cap with pliers on my first carb, and my throttle slide got stuck at the top of the barrel. I had another carb, and I had to build a new carb out of parts. luckily they were both the same exact carb. just some friendly advice brother. only tighten that by hand.
oh! Well, I never tightened it more than about 1/8th inch past hand-tight, so I'm probably good. I haven't had issues with the throttle slide sticking yet. Might use some threadlocker on it then, because this is the 2nd time it's come loose!

Sorry for going offtopic... again... it just came up. I guess I just had to rant about everything so that I felt like you guys shared in my frustration ;-) Road rage, loose parts, bleh!

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I had a little old lady blow her horn and shoeme with her hand on a Sunday morning on a four laner and we were the only two on the road . She could of easily got a lane rolled right by gracefully , but no here comes the hand and the horn . I ran her a$$ all the way to city line. Now my therapist say I suffer from GASBIKE RAGE. so I'm getting help.