tallest apes possible on BGF setup?

GoldenMotor.com

masterblaster

Jan 22, 2012
Gettysburg
I'm building a Kent lajolla cruiser style Bike(from Walmart),And just wondering what are the tallest apes that I can use without running out of cable.
thanks

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We can't answer that without seeing exactly what you have currently for cable length. Pictures wouldn't be sufficient to give you an accurate answer. You'll need to determine that yourself. Take the advertised height of the apes you're planning to buy and take your brake/throttle/clutch control off your current bars and see if the cables will reach that high. It's a good bet they won't. Longer cables are available most anywhere that sells bikes.

In addition, if you've never ridden a bike with high ape hangers, be prepared to adjust your normal riding style. The tall bars will have an effect on steering and control that you'll need to get used to. Be careful.
Tom

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
We can't answer that without seeing exactly what you have currently for cable length. Pictures wouldn't be sufficient to give you an accurate answer. You'll need to determine that yourself. Take the advertised height of the apes you're planning to buy and take your brake/throttle/clutch control off your current bars and see if the cables will reach that high. It's a good bet they won't. Longer cables are available most anywhere that sells bikes.

In addition, if you've never ridden a bike with high ape hangers, be prepared to adjust your normal riding style. The tall bars will have an effect on steering and control that you'll need to get used to. Be careful.
Tom
too tall of an ape an it can get skecthy to keep balance an even harder to hold on when your arms go numb . just be careful .

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Makin yer own cables ain't rocket science, you can do it. just ask questions and research a little.
Most bikes with high ape hangers are more for show than handling anyway. It's all about tradeoffs LOL. I say go for it and get some ya have to tiptoe to reach when standing LOL.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Makin yer own cables ain't rocket science, you can do it. just ask questions and research a little.
Most bikes with high ape hangers are more for show than handling anyway. It's all about tradeoffs LOL. I say go for it and get some ya have to tiptoe to reach when standing LOL.
hahahahaa Wayne your hilarious !

fastfingas

Dec 25, 2011
New Orleans
Tell you what if you're going to start making your own cables be sure you got a good cable cutter one that cuts clean, if not you're gonna have trouble!! one should cost about 30.00 cuts the cables and the casings it's really worth the money!!!!!