Need old bike identified...

GoldenMotor.com

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I picked this old bike up today, I am planning either a rear mount HF79 for it or a friction drive, not sure yet.... went to my local bike shop today and bought 2 Wheel master Wheels for it because to wheels on it look to have maybe 16g spokes and a couple are broke, plus the chrome is pretty bad on the wheels too.

This bike has double side by side top bars and the tag is missing from the front, it's old but I just dont know what it is, even the fella at the bike shop was unsure.

The frame is bent a bit but I think I can get it back in shape with a little patience and work.

Some of you classic bike fellas like silverbear and others ring in here and tell me what I have please.

peace, map

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
The bike was blue oringinally, and the wheels were chrome, someone painted it yellow and the wheels red, probably a kid at some time I'm guessing.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
A shame the badge is gone. :(
Yeah... I know, been looking at this bike for a while, it was hanging on a fence beside an old junk shop, I picked it up for $25, I know that is a bit steep maybe, but I wanted it and the 2 old ladies at the shop can use that money so it will help them out a bit too.

The frame being bent was not noticed until I got the old bike home, or I would have probably passed it up, but I think I can get it back in shape, I will try anyway.

Peace, map

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'd agree with B... it's a mod.
nothing wrong with that. even the chainguard is worth what the little ole bitties gotcha for. (I'd tell em they owe you a chain!) AND some air for the tires! :)

the front sprocket is also interesting looking...

Make a ratrod bike out of it to preserve it for a while...
Those step-thru frames frequently bend the seat post tube, just above the top frame tube.

the chainguard resembles an American Flyer guard I have, here. but yours is nicer and probably earlier.

Best
rc

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Guys It's not a mod, it is very obvious that it is a bike built the way it is, the bike shop guy told me he had seen these bikes but couldnt remember who made them, he even told me a name for the bikes like this that have the double split top tube but I cant remember what he said, I just remember that the word he used started with an M......

I know this sounds silly but i will have to check with him again next week and ask him again what he called this style of bike, he said the company that made this bike had actually copied another brand of bike that was the first to make this type frame...dang-it I wish I could remember what he called it....!

I am possitive that this isn't a modified bike though, I need to post a couple more pics so you guys can see the top double tubes better, and I will shortly.

Peace, map

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here are some more pics, after lookin closer it looks like all the welds on this bike match as far as type and quality, I will back up from what I said earlier about being totally positive that it has not been modified, but it really looks like it was made this way, the top tubes are painted the original color just like the rest under that yellow paint.

I scraped some of the paint off the peddle and it has several words on it but in big letters it says Columbia right in the middle.

several things on this bike are a bit unique to me..... but I'm no expert either so what I think dont carry much weight......

give me your thoughts again after seeing these other pics please.

Peace, map

Attachments

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
No reflectors on the pedals put it pre1970 I believe, possibly earlier.
I will have to do some more digging and see what I can come up with, it seems that it may well be a late 50's or 60's model Columbia....Shrug... I just know I've never seen one like it that I can remember.

All the welds on this bike look strong but none of them are just super clean perfect welds like we see on the good bikes today.

I really like the chain guard, it and the double top bars are what made me get this bike.

If I can get the frame straightened out real good I think this will end up being a real nice shade of green, I'm not sure what is under the paint on that chain guard, it would be nice if it is chrome....... but I doubt it, It sure would be awesome if it were chromed though, it reminds me of all the rocket shaped stuff that was popular in the early 60's late 50's era.

peace, map

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Shan, whatever it is it used to have fenders. Too bad those are missing. If they had the same look as the chain guard they were probably cool too. Let us know what you find out. If all else fails I know a guy here in Denver who could probably identify it but he's an idiot and I don't like talking to him. :)
Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks Tom,

I know for a fact that it is a Columbia and it seems to be a 1961, 1962 or 1963 model, in a new post below are several pics I have dug up, all but one of these bikes are 1961 bikes and the one that is 1962 looks like the ladies version of what I have accept the chain guard is different, these are the only three years I can find that use that chain guard design, years before or after are different.

Go to this link and take a look at the pics when you get a chance and you'll see what I mean.

http://oldroads.com/tool_dispb.asp

Peace, map/Shan

Shan, whatever it is it used to have fenders. Too bad those are missing. If they had the same look as the chain guard they were probably cool too. Let us know what you find out. If all else fails I know a guy here in Denver who could probably identify it but he's an idiot and I don't like talking to him. :)
Tom

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Here are some of the only bikes I can come up with that use the chain guard mine has, 1961, 1962 & one 1963 it says.

the 1962 model looks like the womens version of what I have just with a different chain guard than mine, also all of these bikes have the same design frame from the seat post back, so I know I have a columbia for sure.

Peace, map

Attachments

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I have sent an email to a fella who calls himself MrColumbia, he has an awesome web site dedicated to Columbia bicycles, there is some amazing bikes on this site and loads of great history and pics to keep one busy for a good while, he offers to identify bikes for people so I sent him an email with all the pics I have of my bike, I also told him that I was told that this could be a step through ladies bike that has been modified to be a mens bike, I am actually starting to lean that way just a bit now because I cant find any Columbia bikes that look like mine with those side by side double top bars, or maybe this is an odd ball or something, hopefully I will get this ? solved soon if I can get an answer back from MrColumbia on it.

crossing my fingers and hoping to know what the heck I have, if it has been modified I still dont care, I'm gonna make a nice bike out of this one if I can get the frame straightened to my satisfaction, those new Wheel master chrome wheels and a nice paint job will make a slick ride out of this one IMO......

Peace, map

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it looks like a columbia thunderbolt, 60's era girl's bike, modified. i've never seen a man's bike like that. i'm not saying it's impossible, but i doubt it.

you could post it up on the cabe and see if anyone's ever seen something like that.

in any case, here's your bike, without the top tubes:

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yes, Baird

I'm leaning very heavy in the (Mod-ed into a mens bike) direction now as well, you fellas that guessed that from the start may have hit the nail right on the head on this one, If and when I get a message back from that "Columbia bike expert" I'm sure this will probably be confirmed by him too.

Who ever did the mod if that is actually the case, did a pretty good job of it, and if this is the case, that's fine with me, I like the look of the bike and I'm gonna make a nice little rig out of it if I can get it starightened out the way I want it.

I cant for the life of me figure out why someone would squirt that thing down with all that nasty looking yellow paint,only thing they didn't paint yellow is the wheels, they went some kind of rusty looking red on them.....LOL!

Thank you guys for all the imput, and if you do come across anymore info. stick it in here real quick........

Peace, map

it looks like a columbia thunderbolt, 60's era girl's bike, modified. i've never seen a man's bike like that. i'm not saying it's impossible, but i doubt it.

you could post it up on the cabe and see if anyone's ever seen something like that.

in any case, here's your bike, without the top tubes: