Got to Love Sheer Dumb Luck!

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
well, if you've been here for very long, you must know of all my woes...for some time I have been limited to 20mph (not any more) and have picked the brains of our best here at motorbicycling.com

Today, I ripped apart the motor, cleaned it all, put it back together. I put new gaskets on the joints, pulled the tickler from the carb and sealed the hole with JBWeld. I upgraded my spark plug, wire and cap, adjusted the float bracket and put an O-ring on the intake. I remixed my gas/oil many times. I almost re-jetted my jet...but on my test run right before I rejetted, I had some sheer dumb luck...(^)

I always thought that my troubles were caused by the warm up of the engine. i thought I had another problem with fuel comin out of my tickler b/c of a poor fitting.

So here I go down the road, chuggin at 20mph like I'm use to, not able to go faster, then all the sudden the bike takes off speedin down the road for about 100yards. then the engine dies....I thought, WTF, its finally dead!

But oh, no! I had forgot to open the fuel valve this time. seems that all my woes are due to extreme flooding of the carb. so i opened the valve and took off again, and it ran fine for a while, then started to bog down to 20...i made it back to the house and shut the engine off...then i noticed gas pouring out my air filter...i hadn't shut off the fuel valve...ah ha! :ride2:

so I ride with the valve 1/2 open, i ran at 28mph...

i went back to the garage, and moved the E-clip from the top position to the bottom and tried it again, fuel valve 1/2 open...this time i got up to 33mph..woohoo!!! SHEER DUMB LUCK!:ride:

so i guess i'll just ride with 1/2 open and then when the wife gives me more $$$ I'll buy some upgrades...

thanks to all who helped with this problem

i ended the celebration with a 6 mile ride around town, doing 33 most the way...ah the joy!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You may want to check your float. I think you are having float issues......adjusted too far "up" so the bowl floods.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I played with my float adjustment It drove me nutty for awhile. Norm has a post I forget where.With my float the last time I adjusted it I put the bowl back on listened to the sound of the free play, by shaking the carb next to me ears. That got it for me maby that will help.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I also think these floats sometimes settle a little from vibes and road bumps Mine at full throttle wide open would ocaisonaly cut out the engine on a big bump, I had float set a little too tight. Yet about 600 miles later dos not do that anymore.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Ok, I have no idea what type carb it is BUT with the bowl off hold the float at eye level. The little tab the float has to hold the needle valve the float should be level and the valve all the way closed when the float is level to the bowl. If it has a rubber tip on the valve and it has ANY marks or damage it is defective and alowing gas past it. If it is steel,brass whatever it is the seat inside the carb.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
shoot yea! my bike rides fast and free now, I'm not messing with it...just read your signature Bikeguy Joe

If it ain't broke, and you mess with it long enough, it will be.

so i''ll put some miles on it now, and probably May or June I'll make some upgrades...like a Jackshaft kit and a Exhaust pipe from a pocket bike

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
First thing I would do is swap out the gas line. Figure out a way to reduce the line to that of a weed eater. Go from 1/4 to 1/8 inch. I would do that only because I would never remember where set the valve lol.