Hello from Georgia

GoldenMotor.com

SteveHughes2

Jul 16, 2010
Georgia
Hey, everyone. A friend recommended the site to me. I bought a motor for a bike and it just came in, woohoo. I've got the weekend to put it together. The bike has a geared coaster brake, though, and from what I've read, this is going to be a bear.

Wish me luck,

Steve

.shft.

GTX

May 5, 2010
Prattville
Welcome!!
Hey from Bama...I'm working on one too.Trying to get it together for a VW show in Montgomery on 7-31-10.We always invite bikes to it.Mine is a USA made Murray with a Grubee GT5...just ordred a SBS pipe and filter.I added a fork wiith shocks and disc brakes.Tried to get a Pirate hub....no luck!
If you are in the area when our show is going on.stop by...we have a Cruise Nite that same date.
Home Page VINTAGEVW.NET
Jeff Kyle

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've got the weekend to put it together...
The bike has a geared coaster brake
Hi Steve, Welcome.
Don't give yourself a weekend to put your first build together bud, even you only plan to ever build that one.
They are not like an Ikea table kit.
At the very least you need to understand whats in play parts wise just to maintain it.

A geared coaster brake?
A model name would be helpful but I figure you mean a no gear bike you can pedal backwards for the back brake.

If it's a department store beach cruiser you may find that due to the gearing your only brake will barley stop you at 10 MPH.
With all the extra mass and inertia you get with a motor even at 10 MPH you NEED to put a lot of time into your braking as the bikes coaster rear brake only just won't due.

Buy a front rim brake, period.
Mount the lever on the throttle side.

If you want to improve the coaster brake, just change out the (usually) 18 tooth rear sprocket with a 20 tooth.
Besides the lower gearing giving you much more torque on the hub brake (enough to skid) it also makes it much easier to pedal up to start the motor.
Note that the downside of this is if you plan to pedal a lot, though easy to pedal, you have to do a lot of it to get anywhere.

That is really easy by the way, but if you don't want to mess with it or just use the coaster for a backup get a rim brake for the back too, and use a Teeter-Totter dual pull lever on the throttle side to operate both.

Unlike the dual pull levers where each cable hooks directly to the lever, the Teeter-Totter dual pull lever balances the pull force to each brake and works like this.

As you can see by my crude .gif animation of some pics of my ride with dual rim brakes, one brake needs more pull to engage force than the other, but the Teeter-Totter allows the front V-brake and back single side brake to work in unison with equal force.

Again, welcome, and I hope that gets you off on the right track ;-}

Last edited:

SteveHughes2

Jul 16, 2010
Georgia
Jeff, thanks for the invite, I won't be in the area, unfortunately, my wife's family is having a reunion out west, so I'll be there.

KC, I went very cheap for my first bike... actually, it was free. It was all that I could do to get my wife to let me spend the $170 on the motor kit. She tells me that I have too many interests and projects that are very strong for a couple of months and then fizzle and die. I try to disagree but she reminds me of the year that I took to build a shed in the back yard, the beehive that I started to build (well, I went out and bought the wood for it), started writing a novel (fantasy... oh, and I never got past a page), started building my own power generator (I bought the wire and magnets and diodes) and and and... She can go on for some time, but I think you get the picture. So, I agreed to no more projects until the bike was done and she let me but a motor. I got a Stinger 80 / 66cc kit. The bike was given to me by a friend who has built two so far. To one he just added a motor and to the other one he added a jackshaft kit as well. I'm hoping that he's going to provide me with the encouragement when I get frustrated with this project. The bike that he gave me is a bike that he bought in Germany. It actually is a 3 speed bike with the gears inside the coaster brake hub. I was considering just replacing the wheel altogether, but I'm going to attempt to use the existing one first. I have some thoughts about what my biggest obstacles are going to be, but I don't know how much these forums are moderated and that would probably be a thread better suited outside of the introductions section.

SteveHughes2

Jul 16, 2010
Georgia
Hi Steve, Welcome.
A geared coaster brake?
A model name would be helpful but I figure you mean a no gear bike you can pedal backwards for the back brake.
KC, I forgot to mention. The bike's model is Fischer F3 Cityline. Like I said, it's a German bike. I wasn't able to find much more than references to the brand and nothing on the model on the Internet.