Full suspension Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well my frame repair didn't last. When I got the bike out for a ride Saturday morning and I noticed the seat stays were cracked again, this time behind my repair. The only thing I could come up with was the fact that at 30+ mph and my 230 lb load is just more then it could take. Was cruising the Walmart website and almost ordered another but I decided to wait a bit since a new on would eventually crack on me too and even with the sale all I'd use off the new Cranbrook would be the frame.

Well I was sitting out on the porch tonight looking at my oldest son's full suspension MTB and came up with an idea. I figured he wouldn't mind donating his bike to the cause since he's off in the Air Force now and anyway I was the one that pulled it out of a dumpster and fixed it up for him after the full suspension bike he'd bought with his first paycheck got stolen. laff.

Well here's how much I got done as of 1 am this morning. :D

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's pretty nutty. interesting though. can't wait to see how it turns out.

on the Cranbroke subject, though, if you just need a frame, stalk Craigs or ebay for a vintage, usa frame. they used real steel back then. should be easy enough to find one.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got the build pretty much done today. I have a little finish up welding to do and I have to figure out how I'm going to mount my rear rack now then it's teardown and paint.

Went for a bit of a ride and that spring is stiff! It says "750 lbs. sq. inch", guess I'll have to look around and find a lighter spring.

Attachments

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
That is some build kevlar ;-}
Did you replace the cheap Huffy rear hub too?
If you are cracking the frame the stock hub won't be far behind.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
At the moment the suspension doesn't compress at all because of the stiff spring but I will be making a pair of spring loaded tensioners out of old derailleurs.

Both wheels have been replaced with heavy duty 12g spoke units, the rear last year after the hub cracked at 250 miles and the front this spring so they'd match.

I set up the rear cantilever brakes last night and they work ok, going to be adding cantilever brakes to the front I just have to weld the pivots to the springer fork.

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
At the moment the suspension doesn't compress at all because of the stiff spring but I will be making a pair of spring loaded tensioners out of old derailleurs.

Both wheels have been replaced with heavy duty 12g spoke units, the rear last year after the hub cracked at 250 miles and the front this spring so they'd match.

I set up the rear cantilever brakes last night and they work ok, going to be adding cantilever brakes to the front I just have to weld the pivots to the springer fork.
I am thinking very seriously about reinforcing those area's on my bike before I even ride it . I am thinking about gauze and then an layer of marine-tex or perhaps an even cheaper better bondo . and do about six layers or more of one gauze wrapping then one bondo glazing . layers on layers . think it would be as strong as welding beads ?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I'm not sure if most people would have the same problems with the frame as I did. I weigh over 230 lbs and I ride at full speed (30+) as often as possible add that to the bad roads around here and I'd probably crack the frame of almost any bike. laff

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
I'm not sure if most people would have the same problems with the frame as I did. I weigh over 230 lbs and I ride at full speed (30+) as often as possible add that to the bad roads around here and I'd probably crack the frame of almost any bike. laff
I weigh 228 now kev . down from 236 . ( i will make an thread one day on health and fitness .) I am losing weight by pedeling my exercise bike being my ('next' brand bicycle ) i happen to watch dance your a** off too . i will get down to 180 again !!!

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Kevlar

Really Like Your Frame Design. Makes In-frame Dual Suspension Great. Great Build. That Should Inspire A Lot Of Builds. Lotta Ata Boy`s For That One.

Ron

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well I got the CranBerry into running condition Saturday (finished my spring tensioner) and took it out for a ride. Ended up running a full tank through it (ran out as I was waiting for the garage door to open laff ) and let me tell you it rides GREAT! Even with the 750lb. spring it is way smoother then a hard tail.

So last night I tore it all back down again and today I started prepping it for paint. The color is red anodizing over gold and the pictures don't do the color justice.

Got the swingarm done so far. The frame should get done tomorrow and hopefully I'll have it all back together for the weekend :D

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well I got the front half of the frame and the top of the gas tank done tonight. Decided to go two tone on the tank because I'm tired of the gas staining the cream paint.
Let me tell you what, there's nothing worse then starting to paint the tins and you run out of paint before you even get one fender done. Best part, I was JUST AT WALMART TONIGHT and I didn't buy any because I thought I had enough! UGH!

Hopefully I can get the tins finished tomorrow and start assembly Saturday.

Realized something tonight when I was test fitting the rear fender, I can actually assemble the bike in two halves (less the crank and chains) then just put in the pivot bolt and I have a bike. laff

Dammit! I wanna ride!!!!! :(

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Well I was pretty busy today. Got the whole bike back together! YAY!

Had to take a break about 6 just because I started setting things down and spending a half hour looking for them. laff

Here's the before dinner pics

Attachments

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Here's the after a shakedown cruise around the neighborhood pics. Gotta get some in the sun because the lighting in the garage just doesn't do the paint justice.

Got a closeup of my homebrew spring tensioner. It's actually made out of some scrap nuts and bolts and a brass bushing from a brake arm. The actual arm is a cut down chunk of the original tensioner! laff
My bought at the hardware store hairpin spring didn't work so I started looking around for something else when I saw an old stove sitting in the scrap metal trailer. Yep that's a 70's Hotpoint stove door spring and it works like a charm. :D

Attachments

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That looks very nice Kevlarr, you beat me to the punch on that rear wooden rack on the back, I had planned to make one out of cedar for my mountain bike and also build a small wooden battery box toward the front of it for my small 12v light battery, you did a fine job on that entire bike and I hope you get many..........................enjoyable days of riding on that Custom Cranberry. GREAT JOB!