Engine taking a long time to engage

GoldenMotor.com

peregrin

Jul 24, 2009
York, PA
When I first assembled the bike I could ride down the driveway and release the clutch, throttle up and take off right away. Now I have to pedal for a good 500 yards while the engine chugs along but not really pulling me. Then it begins to kick in in short spurts until it is finally running full out. The engine is still in its break-in period but seems to be getting worse not better. Any thoughts?

peregrin

Jul 24, 2009
York, PA
Thanks for the advice guys. I just checked the sparkplug and it looks ok to me. Brownish in color, definitely not all black and oily. I'm a super newbie here so bear with me if I don't use the right terminology. The engine turns over really quick and then sounds like a slow idle - the rpms remain constant even as I throttle and then as I said it jerks to life in little spurts. I should note that the engine also does not idle at all unless I am moving. It shuts right down once I stop.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You haven't mentioned how the engine runs after it starts except for no idle. It's sounding more like you've developed an air leak somewhere in the intake area. Check your intake manifold gasket, carb to manifold, and crankcase gasket. The most common and easy way to check is to get the engine running and idleing the best you can which might require keeping it running with the throttle. Now spray some carb cleaner around those areas I mentioned. If you see a noticible difference in RPMs you've located the air leak. I would look closely at the intake manifold gasket and carb to intake area first; they're the most common places to leak.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It sounds like the engine is 4-stroking.... (it's not a total problem yet) Wait until you get a couple of gallons through the engine before we start messing with the jet.

Make sure the carb slider is moving freely, & not sticking.

also, there is a idle screw on the side of the carb... turn it in until it stays running!