a question about riding in Kentucky

GoldenMotor.com

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Any members here from Kentucky? I'm wondering if anyone knows if I need a license or not? I went to the DMV site, but I'm not exactly sure if my bike would be considered a moped or not. Any help would be appreciated.

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Thanks, FR, that was very informative! Sounds like all I nned to do is get a moped license (wich doesnt sound hard at all) but t also sounds like I could just hop on my bike and ride and probably not worry about it, provided I don't ride like a maniac, that is.

TLDove

Jul 21, 2009
Lebanon,Pa
call you state police i m just geting in to building one in pa and dmv site says same thing here about moped state police said under 50cc dont need a thing

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
yeah, I'm just gonna ride. If I get pulled, and they tell me I need one, I'll just say I didn't know that, then go get one. It's really not an issiue for me, getting a moped license is a breaze, I'm just very anti-social and hate public places of any kind, so if I can avoid the DMV, I will.

TLDove

Jul 21, 2009
Lebanon,Pa
yeah, I'm just gonna ride. If I get pulled, and they tell me I need one, I'll just say I didn't know that, then go get one. It's really not an issiue for me, getting a moped license is a breaze, I'm just very anti-social and hate public places of any kind, so if I can avoid the DMV, I will.
i'm gonna to state police say ok i just need to order motor and build my frame hope it all goes smooth keep me updated .weld

zero240sx

May 29, 2009
Kentucky
Hey Butchatron,

Im from Hazard, Kentucky and ive talked to some police here that tell me that as long as i ride safe i should be ok, but we have City, County, State, and Vehicle Inforcment, and they run here pretty heavy because of the coal trucks, they seem to try harder to piss ppl off. but even if any of them do try to do anything, i believe the Judge will laugh at it and just say, drive safe. i will have brake lights and signals by the time im driving it around alot so the only thing they will question might be motorcycle lisence, tags, registration, and insurance. which as far as im sure i wont need any of them but they might not think the same. glad to see another Kentuckian here on the forum... these guys are great and really knowlegeable.... see you around

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Hey Butchatron,

Im from Hazard, Kentucky and ive talked to some police here that tell me that as long as i ride safe i should be ok, but we have City, County, State, and Vehicle Inforcment, and they run here pretty heavy because of the coal trucks, they seem to try harder to piss ppl off. but even if any of them do try to do anything, i believe the Judge will laugh at it and just say, drive safe. i will have brake lights and signals by the time im driving it around alot so the only thing they will question might be motorcycle lisence, tags, registration, and insurance. which as far as im sure i wont need any of them but they might not think the same. glad to see another Kentuckian here on the forum... these guys are great and really knowlegeable.... see you around
yeah, I don't think I'll have any trouble. If I where driving a manufactured moped like a Tomos or Honda, that might raise an eyebrow or two.

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky
Good day... I'm down in Somerset and just ordered the first engine do in about a week. The police say I need a lisc. for anything with a motor and took off so I dont know if they ment the bike or me LOL.... The county clerk office says no to anything under 50CC.

wolfstone7

Oct 19, 2009
Ky
I ran into a young man this am on a 49cc scooter and talked to him. Says the police have stopped him one time to check the size of the engine. Its a 49cc and as long as it is under 50cc there is no trouble. No ins., tags or registration required here in Ky.
You yourself do need a lisc to operate a motor vehicle with any engine size according to the police but not a motor cycle lisc. if your under 50cc :)

isldtime

Sep 18, 2011
So.Ca.
Was really glad to find this old thread. But due to the fact we are moving back to western KY next year I guess I will take my M/B with me.drn2

bigoilbob

Dec 15, 2013
St. Louis, Missouri
Was really glad to find this old thread. But due to the fact we are moving back to western KY next year I guess I will take my M/B with me.drn2
Good thread resurrection! We're retired now, and like to camp everywhere. Kentucky is beautiful, and IM sure we'll visit. Not to hijack, but here's a related question. Are there state wide restrictions in state parks? lots of states are cool statewide, but restrict in state parks.

Subquestion, would you please write in with any restrictions for any particular Kentucky state parks? Not trying to steal homework here - my experience is that this is the only way to find these micro-regs.