Spring Return Chain Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

johnmartinwright

Jul 11, 2009
harvey, nd
.wee.to misteright from johnmartinwright have just bought the chain tensioner from tractor supply and following your example will have to go to hardware shop to get the allthred 3/8 rod this looks like a very very good setup and anticipating a good ride from my bike without the worry and troubles of having the chain to come off with me miles away from home LOL thank you for the idea and leading me to look for a much better chain tensioner looking forward to a great ride THX very much JOHNMARTINWRIGHT

gberry50

Jun 16, 2009
snowflake,az
my rear sprocket is so out of concentricty that my spring loaded lever goes up and down like a picther pump but the chain doesn't slap and has quieted the bike considerably

trimguy247

Oct 27, 2009
orlando
ya they work i use one of those on my shifter bike with my intrnal shifter hub works great since i took the derailer off after having problems with it

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I don't see why you shouldn't use this on your motor chain. You only need to take up the slack equivalent to a half link in the chain or less. Even when starting the bike by clutch popping, it should not slack all the way unless you are using a very very weak spring.

The Grubee Bikeberry kit i bought showed this type of tensioner in the instruction pages, but didn't offer any to buy.

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon
have guys tried cable clamps? there like muffler clamps but smaller, also in the late 70's early 80's our home made mountain bikes had issues throwing chains since we were using 10 speed derailers with week spring tensions so we would spin tensioner around to get a stronger tension. what about this attached to a cable clamp on the chain stay pointed up instead of down then using the adjuster screws to align it? 1 old derailer an a buck for the clamp. an old center pivit derailer with one of the arms cut off would even look good

no hurries no worries

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
my rear sprocket is so out of concentricty that my spring loaded lever goes up and down like a picther pump but the chain doesn't slap and has quieted the bike considerably
Instead of relying on a spring tensioner to take up the slack, why don't you center your rear sprocket. Eventually leaving it like you have it, something is going to fail and you could get hurt. There is no reason to ride the bike with the sprocket not centered on the hub.
Tom

Bicycle Motor Fun

Sep 17, 2011
Warren, Michigan
I believe that the engine drive chain tensioner is one of the critical items on a Chinese 66cc engine build! I used the kit supplied tensioner with poor results; it would not stay in position and if it ever turned into the spokes, well, I guess we all know what would happen then! I fabricated a very simple one and welded it to the seat and chain stays. It does not move, has no springs, nothing to fail. I works like a charm. The tensioner is put under load in starting (turning the engine over) the engine; after that, it has practicaly no load on the chain. I am using 415H chain and this chain fits both sprockets perfectly and is the only chain that I use now. I'll pass some photos of my chain tensioner along here in the days ahead. I love my MB, BMF

jats

Mar 13, 2012
oregon
no afraid I have not had time yet its been real busy at work still have it on by project list and should get to it next week! Vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!