People laughing at me...maybe.

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Two motorcycles were waiting at a red light. In the crosswalk, I crossed the street right in front of them (just peddling, motor was off). I think both bikes had a man and woman riding on each. At least one of the couples was laughing as I passed, and they were looking my way. I barely noticed because I was concentrating on traffic. I assumed they might have been entertained by the novelty of a bicycle with a motor. I try to think positively. Of course, if they were laughing derisively, I wouldn't mind much. Skin gets thicker with age.

I've had a lot of people comment on the bike. All were positive except one.
I was coming out of a store as a couple was pulling up on bicycles. It was a man and woman in their 30's at least. They had nice bikes, spandex, helmets. The man pulled up first and said "That's cheating", obviously referring to my motor. He was smiling, though, so I smiled back and said "Yeah, but it sure helps with the wind and hills". His female partner had a sour face as she said "You don't get any exercise without wind and hills." I resisted the urge to say something rotten. My response was "Well, don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

I can understand some of the negative comments here about the "spandex crowd". I generally have respect for all people out there riding their bikes. Someone with an expensive bike and clothes must be dedicated to riding. That's cool with me. I've ridden thousands of miles a year without a motor, so I guess I am dedicated too. I prefer casual clothes and cheap bikes because I am casual and cheap!
I've met many very friendly "spandex" riders. Some, though, don't return a friendly gesture and just ignore you. You would think that all bike riders would sympathise with each other.

Has anyone else got a bad attitude from other bikers, bike shops, etc.?

Last edited:

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I get treated worse from the drivers than I do the "Spandex Crowd" . I have been forced to the shoulder, and pulled out in front of numerous times, and I don't even drive in heavy traffic. I still think it is because most of the people are on the cell phone and pay NO attention to their driving!
Now that my Motor Bike carrier is finished we will be going to places to get away from the Crazy drivers, (I hope?)

John

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I can't stand that Cagers (car drivers) feel they have to pass you on the back streets in the 25mph zones even though you're going 30-35mph. I call that the "poodle" complex. They always have to lead. Oh well. I love the motorized bike. It's great around our small town. I use so little gas I almost never check.
Great hobby!.shft.

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I can't stand that Cagers (car drivers) feel they have to pass you on the back streets in the 25mph zones even though you're going 30-35mph. I call that the "poodle" complex. They always have to lead. Oh well. I love the motorized bike. It's great around our small town. I use so little gas I almost never check.
Great hobby!.shft.
Yes, That is may exact point! When I am riding in my neighborhood, where the speed limit is 25, I always ride between 25 and 30 but 100% of the time I get passed. Even when there are other cars coming. That's when I get forced to the curb or shoulder. They have to lead!!

John

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
A-dam, The Comment "thats Cheating" Is My Type Of Humor, A Remark I Mite Make In Reference To The Obvious. Not Meant To Be Derogitory. Just A Reccognition Of Your Machine. Imho Ron

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
She Probably Did Not See Her Leaders Smile, And Had To Add Her 2 Cents!! Lol, Ha Ha Women Love Me For This Type Of Remark! When They Answer The Phone, I Ask To Speak To Their Master!! 0ne Of Two Types of Attitudes Surface Quickly. I Love It!! Ha Ha. = All in fun girls, i know how much you do for us! Its a quick way to involve them. Most women laugh at me and say: "I don`t have a master". RON

Last edited:

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
I've never met anyone who was negative about my motor bike, i even get highfives, peace signs, and thumbs up from bikers most every time i see them.

Fishermanblues

Aug 24, 2008
Tucson Az
I've only ever met 3 spandex riders that said they didn't like my bike. After one encounter with an angry spandex cyclist at a stop light I came across him again further down the road, after his bike had broken, and offered him the use of my tools to fix whatever had broken, but he turned down my offer and insisted that he was just going to take it to his bike shop. I hope I succeeded in changing his opinion of MB riders, my goal is to "kill them with kindness". The several times that I've broken down numerous cyclists have stopped and asked if I needed help as well.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I got this on another non-motorized bike forum on why no MB's in Germany:

All motorized vehicles also have to be registered and insured, and a driving permit is required. Then there is the embarrassment of riding a contraption like that. MOFAs are for lazy 15 year olds who should be cycling. Anybody older rides a scooter or a K 80, or a real motorcycle.

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
That quote is just plain funny Pablo,

But i have seen more older people get totally engaged with the idea of a motor on my bike and they ask many many more questions than a kid would. And most 15 year olds might be lazy in some areas but how is it lazy when they build a bike and then enjoy there success and ride the thing ? To me any 15 year old that built one of these bikes I would think to myself ," yup theres a future for that kid"..Way better than sitting and watching TV or playing video games...

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Wonder If Some People Pass Us So They Don`t Have To Worry About Hitting Us. We Should Practice The Pit Manuver (can`t Find Correct Spelling). Lol Ron Ron

Last edited:

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Um....I can't even get out of my own garage without being laughed at. The public at large treats me much more kindly than my immediate family.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Two motorcycles were waiting at a red light. In the crosswalk, I crossed the street right in front of them (just peddling, motor was off). I think both bikes had a man and woman riding on each. At least one of the couples was laughing as I passed, and they were looking my way. I barely noticed because I was concentrating on traffic. I assumed they might have been entertained by the novelty of a bicycle with a motor. I try to think positively. Of course, if they were laughing derisively, I wouldn't mind much. Skin gets thicker with age.

I've had a lot of people comment on the bike. All were positive except one.
I was coming out of a store as a couple was pulling up on bicycles. It was a man and woman in their 30's at least. They had nice bikes, spandex, helmets. The man pulled up first and said "That's cheating", obviously referring to my motor. He was smiling, though, so I smiled back and said "Yeah, but it sure helps with the wind and hills". His female partner had a sour face as she said "You don't get any exercise without wind and hills." I resisted the urge to say something rotten. My response was "Well, don't knock it if you haven't tried it."

I can understand some of the negative comments here about the "spandex crowd". I generally have respect for all people out there riding their bikes. Someone with an expensive bike and clothes must be dedicated to riding. That's cool with me. I've ridden thousands of miles a year without a motor, so I guess I am dedicated too. I prefer casual clothes and cheap bikes because I am casual and cheap!
I've met many very friendly "spandex" riders. Some, though, don't return a friendly gesture and just ignore you. You would think that all bike riders would sympathise with each other.

Has anyone else got a bad attitude from other bikers, bike shops, etc.?
only on occasion...I had a biker guy tell me "thats not a real motorcycle" in stead of being a complete smartass I just responded" oh,man...I got ripped off!!LOL Most Bikers think its cool and I cant really relate with the spandex crowd,Ive always been the commuter type,just trying to get to work or wherever .I had one supervisor in my office try to tell me it was a stupid idea...this is last year when gas was 5 bucks,you see where I went with that.All in all I think most people are cool if you give them half a chance but if they are an A.H.allready...well, ya cant fix stupid!!!