Could someone Please help me with my screws?

GoldenMotor.com

El Bandito

Jun 14, 2015
Benicia, California
I was wondering if anybody could help me with my problem I have with my screws? These screws won't budge no matter how hard I try yo unscrew them and now they are getting pretty stripped. I tried using liquid wrench, the duct tape trick and even the rubber band trick; but no luck. This is my first motor (60cc 2-stoke) and I can't even unscrew the screws to put on the chain. Any solutions or trick to remove the damm screws?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
I can't see your picture but if it is a safe area for heating then take a propane torch to the screw and surrounding area of the screw hole.

ONLY IF IT IS SAFE TO APPLY FLAME DO NOT BLOW YOURSELF UP

And sometimes it takes a while for the penetrating oil to work, like overnight.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I can't see the pic either but are the heads standard or phillips? And do you own a dremel? Here's what I do.... take the dremel and a small cutting wheel, cut a slot in the top of the screw and use a regular screwdriver or an impact driver to get the screw out, an impact driver is preferred because it backs off the screw when you hit it with a small hammer.

If the screw is recessed where you can't cut the slot with a cutting wheel, a really small burr can cut a trench across the head so a regular screwdriver will fit, but it's time consuming, and you have to go slow to avoid burning up the cutter.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Go by Harbor Freight and buy an impact driver and make certain you have the right bit for your screws. If your screw heads all chewed you might want to get a set of new ones.
They're available in sets, you can even get all allen heads for the whole engine and never have trouble with them again.
An impact driver will make short work of breaking them loose.
~good luck!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Another trick for getting screws to grip if they're phillips and not too badly stripped yet, put some valve lapping compound on your screwdriver tip, the grit in the compound will help it grab enough to get the screw broke loose.

You can also drill the head off the screw then pull it out with an ez out if it's not lock tited in...

I think you need 5 posts before you can post pics so post a few more times then we should be able to see the pic

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Go by Harbor Freight and buy an impact driver and make certain you have the right bit for your screws. If your screw heads all chewed you might want to get a set of new ones.
They're available in sets, you can even get all allen heads for the whole engine and never have trouble with them again.
An impact driver will make short work of breaking them loose.
~good luck!
Definitely agreed on both... the impact driver is your friend with these engines.... and swapping all the screws for allen bolts will save you a lot of frustration later...

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
A good tip for new mechanics is to use the right screwdriver for the job. The bit should fill the slot. The same with phillips heads. For gunsmithing it's even more important- The screwdrivers have to be exact.
The right tool for the job makes all the difference.
Those cheap tools you see at department stores are a waste of money. A .99 cent screwdriver won't even last .99 cents worth.
Buy the good stuff as you go along, as you need it. Before long you have everything without spending a big lump of money.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Fully agreed... especially with phillips or standard screwdrivers... using a #2 phillips on a #3 screw will ruin both the screw head and wear out the screwdriver tip in short order if done frequently or if a screw is in nice and tight and ya try to break it loose with the wrong size tip.
Standard screw heads get ruined mainly by using too narrow of a screwdriver tip, especially when trying to break one loose but just about as bad when tying to tighten.
Also, ya definitely want quality screwdrivers even if you can only buy one at a time. I buy a lot of hand tools from harbor freight but all my screwdrivers are craftsman or better since I hadn't seen any of theirs that are good enough quality.. the rest of their hand tools are really nice compared to how they were about 15 years ago. The only exception with the harbor freight screwdrivers is their removable screwdriver tips (also known as apex tips) are good quality.
I probably mentioned it already but if you keep a small tube of valve lapping compound in your tool set, you can dip your phillips tip in the compound for extra grip on overly tight screws, just don't use this trick on internal engine parts or let it get in your engine or carb.
Another very useful tool when dealing with these engines or motorcycles in general is a good impact driver set, these will break loose most screws before they get the chance to strip the heads, and if one is about to strip, the impact driver works great for breaking it loose before it's too late. And if all else fails and one does strip beyond help,an easy out set is another very valuable tool to have...
This is just general info for anyone to read and use, I dunno how bad yours is yet, but hopefully some of this helps....

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
I learned this in small motor class , and here is what you do.
You have yell out loud these words twic like this " GANEEEEKA" "GANEEEKA" and then yell only once this word like this, " BILLLY BUDD"

Blakenstein

Sep 15, 2009
Alta. Canada.
Sorry dude, but I typed out a lot about the secret on how to do it, how it works, and why it works, but the web wiped it all out, and I had to log back in. This has happened before, and caused me to get mad and be banned from the chat room. All I was doing was trying to help and teach you what profesionals taught me, but thats what happened. I guess that GANEEKA and BILLY bud gets through and posted, but the real method that I took the time to type out, did not get through. Sorry.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
best get some tools. sears, home depot, lowes,harbor freight, trust me, your gonna need them all. oh and a bottle of aspirin might help too!

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
I have problems getting the screws out for the engine sprocket cover, and stripped it. Tried suggestions that have been mentioned here but didn't work. I could get the other covers out. Next engine I get it will just be the chrome version, I feel like on top of the cheap bolts/screws the paint played a factor on not being able to unscrew it easier. It looked like it seeped in with the screw.

Riverdales27

Mar 20, 2015
USA
Riverdales27, did you mange to unscrew your stripped screws or did you decide to buy the chrome version?
I still can't see your picture what it looks like.

I never did, and I was using a proper flat head size not a small width/height. My first build I started 2-3 months ago. I originally was planning to go with a thatsdax engine, but went on ebay instead just to test this hobby (before this I was longboarding since 2005 doing downhill and slides) and if I screw up which I have it wouldn't be an expensive engine. Next engine will be bought unpainted for sure, and paint it myself.