New Jersey...My question is:

GoldenMotor.com

fbn135

Jan 31, 2014
New Jersey
I did not get anything in writing...actually, what's to get? She said there is no state law that covers what we are talking about. Just make sure your bike fits the moped requirements. I already have one that does but I am going to build another. If a cop stops you just ask them to quote the law that you broke. Also, since their is no law you will not need insurance. I am just going to do it and see what happens. If you should come up with anything else I hope you let me know. Good Luck lol

FBN

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
FBN

I think what I'll do is print out the specs that fit the moped requirement (which mine does) and keep it on me just in case ... and you're right, if they do pull me over, I'll have them quote the law I broke. The cops by me are such ball-busters that they will make stuff up just to hand out a ticket. Other than that - I guess I am going to give it shot this week and ride it around. See what happens. I'll keep you posted. This info just gave me the green light to build the next one. Thanks for your help!

Big-H

1ucian

Apr 5, 2015
North NJ
Reading this thread made me feel much better about riding my gas bike. I'm honestly surprised that they're not more common!

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
So it's April 2015 and I can tell you that since I built my first m-bike, I have ridden it all over Middlesex county in neighborhood roads without a problem. I have never been stopped and no one ever complained and still insurance free.

For those of you still looking to see what the laws are, there aren't any. At least I couldn't nail down anything from Middlesex county and townships in NJ.

As FBN said in his previous post:
"She said there is no state law that covers what we are talking about. Just make sure your bike fits the moped requirements. I already have one that does but I am going to build another. If a cop stops you just ask them to quote the law that you broke. Also, since their is no law you will not need insurance."

Good luck and ride free.

Big-H

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
I just finished my first build and took it on a 3 mile test ride in Madison where I unexpectedly ran into 2 police cars. I killed the engine and started pedaling as soon as I saw them and didn't make eye contact. They didn't follow me or stop me, so I'm wondering if they care here. Something about this just feels wrong, but my prior driving record has made me a little jumpy around the police...

So have all you guys reached a consensus about NJ?

Anyone get a ticket? What was it for and how much? I saw something somewhere for a $50 fine. At that cost, I can deal with it.

Last edited:

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
I am still riding around Middlesex county insurance free with zero problems. I see a cop, I kill the engine and pedal. No biggie. If the fine is $50 - I can deal with that.