looking for best bike for our needs

GoldenMotor.com

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
We bought our teenage son an engine kit from site supporter bikemotorkit.com for Christmas.He is not a very big guy at about 4'10" tall.He wants to put the kit on a mountain bike.I would appreciate advice on the easiest bike to motorize for him.I am able to provide any tools or skilled help he needs.He wants to do this build for himself.I'm hoping to buy him a bike that the kit is a bolt in with no or very little mods.A 24" bike would be best if possible.I would like to order him the bike from amazon,etc. because he is financing the rest of the project.We bought him the kit to get him started.His only income is working part time where he practices taekwondo so he has a limited income.Thanks all and have a great New Year.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Most important for the both of you right now is to educate yourselves. It's great you have found this forum as you will be coming back often. Hopefully both of you.
Go to You Tube and just type in motorized bike, watch somebody else do it step by step and much more.
Explore the experiences of others, Search the Forum here.
It's gonna be great fun for the both of you!

Oh- and yes you can put a kit on a 24" inch mtn bike. Look in "my builds" album and look for My kid sisters' bike. It's the 24" Roadmaster Blue/Green

Your situation may be different. All bikes are not created equal or follow rigid standard of angle or dimension. To be honest, the best way is to set the bike level on a table or the floor, then set the engine in being certain the carb is placed on and looks level at the bottom of bowl. and spark plug is in. Alot of this is custom building--yeah sometimes make things fit. But that's all apart of it.

Learn as much as you can before you crack the box. Feel confident and enjoy.

Good Luck to both of you. Happy New Year!

avery08

Oct 3, 2013
missouri
Here is a link to the engine kit we bought,it's the silver version. http://bikemotorkit.com/Gas-Bike-Engine-Kits as far as bikes he doesn't care for the cruiser style bikes.He said he has no preference other then it being a motorized bicycle style.He's only 14 so he thinks cruiser models look like old people bikes lol.I was trying to steer him toward the huffy cranberry model.Thanks again

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our commuinty. You've certainly found the right place for help and advice for you and your son's first motorized bicycle project.

You'll find there are many successful 24" builds here by our members. I've done one myself and used a Huffy mountain bike with front suspension fork.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=14211

Most of the 2 stroke kits will bolt into a standard 'V' frame bike without modification. As was stated above, watch for carburetor level and spark plug clearance. In the event you run into spark plug interference with the frame there are 'shorty' plugs available.

Keep us posted on the progress and try to get your son interested in posting here too. We enjoy helping the youngsters and applaud their ambitions.

Tom