Noob wants a race bike

GoldenMotor.com

bahramu

Jun 6, 2013
San Francisco
Heyall,
Lately I have been working on a HT motor that can hold its own at the track.
My background before motorized bicycles was building rice rockets for racing in the mountains and autox. Speed in the corners has always been my favorite. I've been watching videos of MotorBicycleRacing in Socal and I'm just itching to get out there. It looks so fun!

I'd like if you could share a few pointers on how to make a bike that's got great handling in the corners. What is a good base bike to purchase? My bike will be purely for fun at the race track, I do not intend on actually being a serious competitor, and I don't have a bunch of money I can sink into the bike.
Right now I'm searching around on Craigslist for a bike with a longer wheel base and lower center of gravity.

What is really important and what preexisting bikes make good racing bikes?
Or...what bike is good for modifying to have a longer wheel base, lower cog, etc.

What's better handling: 26" or 24" wheels?

Whatever advice you have for building a bike that's sticky would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Heyall,
Lately I have been working on a HT motor that can hold its own at the track.
My background before motorized bicycles was building rice rockets for racing in the mountains and autox. Speed in the corners has always been my favorite. I've been watching videos of MotorBicycleRacing in Socal and I'm just itching to get out there. It looks so fun!

I'd like if you could share a few pointers on how to make a bike that's got great handling in the corners. What is a good base bike to purchase? My bike will be purely for fun at the race track, I do not intend on actually being a serious competitor.
Thanks
It is fun affordable low risk racing so don't forget about the Amateur class which is a mix of a stock to not too modified bike and a rider new to the track.

At the Oct 19th race the Amateur class winner got a SMBR custom 1st billet anodized side cover and a Silver State Cycles board track frame and stainless tank valued at the bargain price of $450.

2nd place won a $85 CR Machine billet Fred head and 3rd won one of those engine mounted chain tensoiners from member here turbobuick1

My point is that there is a lot of fun to be had in the Amateur class which could be raced with your beater bike.
Just make it reliable so it doesn't break!

bahramu

Jun 6, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks Neil, I have never raced anything with 2 wheels before so I might fit into Amateur except my engine might be too heavily modified? I've got a 66cc with mild porting, RSE reed valve+Walbro carb combo, HD Lightning CDI, custom made torque pipe, and Puch Hi Hi 70cc head.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
You of course could race in both the Amateur class and Intermediate class on different bikes depending upon your skill level.

By the way Silver State Cycles is paying the first race entry fee for any racers on one of their frames

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The first thing I would recommend is NOT to use a 'long wheel base' bicycle for racing... I would use a standard wheel base bike. (Longer bikes don't handle well in the sharp turns)!

The next thing I think is important is NOT to use too small of a rear sprocket... many noobies make this mistake thinking that it'll make then go faster around the track; in reality they end up going slower because 3/4 of the track is sharp turns that you must slow down for & you'll need a larger sprocket to have power out of the turns).
I would use a 40T sprocket to start.

The third thing I think is important is tires! Maxxis 'Hookworm' tires have proven to be a great tire on the track.
There are many racers who do very well using other brands, but the Maxxis' will serve you well for now.

The fouth thing is weight! Try to keep the bike as light as possible.
Most of the racers use steel frame bicycles, but I prefer aluminum frames & wheels. ;)

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
In my opinion, it does not matter much what you start out racing. Skill matters more than equipment in almost any amateur racing and a fast guy on a beater will whoop a newb on a titanium bullet nine times out of ten.
Find a bike you are comfortable on and modify it for reliability.
Fast guys are fast on ANYTHING.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
In my opinion, it does not matter much what you start out racing. Skill matters more than equipment in almost any amateur racing and a fast guy on a beater will whoop a newb on a titanium bullet nine times out of ten.
Find a bike you are comfortable on and modify it for reliability.
Fast guys are fast on ANYTHING.
I agree, but a noobie who has a fast engine on a poor handling heavy bike with cheap tires is twice as dangerous for all the other riders on the track! :(

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree, but a noobie who has a fast engine on a poor handling heavy bike with cheap tires is twice as dangerous for all the other riders on the track! :(
Lol! People THINK I'm fast because it's so hard to pass something so wild(wide)and erratic! Whatever works!

bahramu

Jun 6, 2013
San Francisco
Anyone ever put 26" wheels on a 700c frame? I'm planning on doing this to my bike and wondering if the front will excessively vibrate at high speed.

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
Hello!
You are pretty local to me, if you are looking for a race bike I've got some connections in San Francisco that make awesome bikes.
As for 26" on a 700c bike the tires look like they would be to wide.
Check out my bikes.
californiamotorbikes.com/our-bikes

bahramu

Jun 6, 2013
San Francisco
Thanks Rider, how can I get a hold off them? Ive been looking for a good race bike and also for people to ride with, maybe we can go on a ride sometime. Are you planning on attending the socal race in April?

Last edited:

CARider

May 20, 2013
San Rafael, CA-Mesa, AZ
When in April?
Pass through LA like 6 times a year on my way to Phoenix.
I'm also working on a race bike myself :)
Message Moto on the fourm. He is a local SF rider. Ask him for Sam's phone number. He has the stuff!

bahramu

Jun 6, 2013
San Francisco
April 12th at Willow Springs Go Kart track. Motorbicycleracing is the organizer, he posted on this thread on page 1. He's the man to talk to. Im definitely going for the weekend. I think there's other people going from Napa and Pleasanton so a carpool seems possible. Get your bike ready and we might be racing each other! :)
Thanks