odd bottom bracket!

GoldenMotor.com

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
the other day i decided to see if i could fit a triple chain ring on my motorized bicycle it wouldn't fit so i was putting it back together and my mind wandered i ended up shearing one of the crank bolts in the spindle! now i can't find a replacement spindle anywhere. its from a raleigh maverick made around 1985 i think. brought the spindle to my local bike shop and he said he couldn't get them and i cant find any online! any help appreciated.

Attachments

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Ya, I'd go with Bairdco's sound advice. You can get L.H. drill bits at most any hardware store. Just use a bit size that will work with an ez-out size that's appropriate for the job. L.H. bits will often "spin the broken bolt/fastener out" while you drill it (and you've got to drill a hole to use an ez-out anyway, so you've really got nothing to lose trying it).

Btw, a L.H. bit might cost you a couple of pounds or so.

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
yeah think i will try to remove it alright. i dont have a drill though but might have access to one on thursday so i'll try to drill it then i was thinkin of drilling it then hammer a flat screwdriver in there but i'll see how much a L.H bit is in the meantime. thanks

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Here you can buy a set cheap from harbor freight. dunno if there's an equivalent place where you're at.

if you find a set, start small and drill centered and straight. keep going up a size till it screws out.

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
someone on the other forum said it was the same as some old bmx? the cups seem to be threaded alright i thought they were pressed in but i can see threads on the inside of the shell. kinda strange the way theres no notches in them to remove them tho.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
If the cups are threaded in (which would be very strange) you could probably leave them in and still use the rest of the parts from a conversion kit.

You could probably also go to a one piece crank, reusing the cups with a standard bottom bracket set.

I've never seen an odd bottom bracket on a frame. there's the standard "american" large size and the smaller "euro" size.

there's split bb shell on some tandems and antique bikes that use an eccentric bottom bracket. you can rotate it around to tighten the chain. but that's probably more info than you need...

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
You gotta love dime store innovation.
What you have there is a standard American Bottom Bracket tube with a conversion bottom bracket to a crappy European loose ball bearing setup.

The spindle itself is the same as any loose ball bearing Euro as far as threads for axle cones go.

You don't need any replacement parts. Just go to your local hardware store, and buy a reverse pull out drill bit. $3.00 or less usually. Before you go drilling into the sheered off bolt with it, be sure to drill a pilot hole in the bolt first with a normal steel drill bit.

Your broken bolts will spin right out with ease my friend!
You can get replacement bolts from your local hardware store for less than $0.60 , or at your LBC for a few bucks.

Hope this helps!

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Or, you can buy a new bottom bracket, but it will have to be an American BB. Which in your case, if you want to stay with a 3-piece crank and be easy on the wallet....... Try my above suggestion first. Or get yourself a one piece crank, but then you'll need 1/2" pedals to go with those.

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
Tried tapping out one of the cups and it didn't budge its definetly threaded on anyway I think I'll go buy a cheap drill on Monday and try to remove the sheared bolt , its the cheapest option and i need a drill anyway to make a rack.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Now that I know you are in Ireland :)

Seriously, can you find a left hand drill bit (You guys may use a different name)? Put the LH drill bit in, put the drill in reverse and often as soon as the hole gets a bite the sheared part will come out.

zippinaround

Aug 10, 2013
Ireland
well i managed to remove the sheared bolt without buying anything! the plumber left his drill here last night so i just drilled a 5mm hole hammered in a screwdriver and out she popped!

Ratt_Bones

Aug 2, 2013
Appleton, Wi.
Tried tapping out one of the cups and it didn't budge its definetly threaded on anyway I think I'll go buy a cheap drill on Monday and try to remove the sheared bolt , its the cheapest option and i need a drill anyway to make a rack.
Sometimes they are just pressed in really good, and tough as ****. I've struggled for hours on some, and have had others just fall out.