microcar with chinagirl motor?

GoldenMotor.com

LEX

Aug 13, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
so I know this forum is mainly for two wheeled vehicles, but has anyone ever tried to make a three wheeled microcar with a chinagirl for its motor? not just a powered velo, but a full blown microcar?
post pics and or stories/thoughts please.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Re: microcar with chinagirl?

There are collegiate fuel economy competitions where velocars are powered by 50cc engines. That's the closest thing I've seen to what you are seeking. The car must be very light to benefit from a 50cc motor.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

so I know this forum is mainly for two wheeled vehicles, but has anyone ever tried to make a three wheeled microcar with a chinagirl for its motor? not just a powered velo, but a full blown microcar?
chinagirl motor makes about 2 hp.
How much does a three wheeled microcar weigh?

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa

I have an american tri-ped 2 seated that came with a minerelli 2smoke.....moved it okay

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois

It's an interesting thought. I'm fond of micro-cars.

In fact, I worried that this thread might get me obsessed with designing and building one.

But then I realized that I didn't stand a chance of making it road legal.

I guess I'm safe.

All the same, I can feel that longing........

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

We've a bunch of assorted three wheelers, both delta and tadpole - it isn't intentional that the forum is "mainly two wheeled" rather that the trikes are just less common and that's I think due to the slight added expense, complexity & ofc drivability ie, their size - fitting on the shoulders of the public roadways & storage. Mine is only 33" wide from axle tip to axle tip & yet it's still sometimes awkward, I'll pull onto the rough to let traffic past & getting it through a door for storage means flipping it on it's side;

If you've a garage & live in an area with good roads, then there's no problem at all *shrug*

The question I've got is what do you consider the difference between a "powered velo" & a "full blown microcar"? As long as it's got a functioning pedal drive train & a compliant engine displacement you should be good to go... a passenger seat might be tricky is some areas legally speaking, but the micro linked was a single...

I hope ya go for it, there's just something awesome about the lil things :D

LEX

Aug 13, 2009
Twin Falls, ID

The question I've got is what do you consider the difference between a "powered velo" & a "full blown microcar"? As long as it's got a functioning pedal drive train & a compliant engine displacement you should be good to go... a passenger seat might be tricky is some areas legally speaking, but the micro linked was a single...
i was thinking no pedals. but id bet someone could make a rather snazzy powered velomobile that looked like the Messerschmitt micro car out of a tadpole trike.

isn't she sexy?
fiberglass body instead of steel, 49cc rather than 175cc could be fun!

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

With 50cc, three wheels and pedals your still a bicycle. Go to 4 wheels or drop the pedals and your now riding in a car with all the required equipment.

Steve.

LEX

Aug 13, 2009
Twin Falls, ID

With 50cc, three wheels and pedals your still a bicycle. Go to 4 wheels or drop the pedals and your now riding in a car with all the required equipment.

Steve.
so many microcars only had 3 wheels
and i'd build without pedals most likeley

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

I know having been a microcar/ foreign car nut for years. Been around long enough to remember them selling off the last off the Isettas for $375 just to get rid of them.

Just saying if you don't have pedals you can't put it on the road legally unless you register it as a car and that would open up a world of bureaucratic nightmares.

Steve.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa

The rpm "tango" was a neat 3 wheeler car thingy that was available with a small engine

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Instead of a China Girl I would be inclined to get a better 2 stroke. Maybe a Morini clone or a pocket bike motor or a 4 wheeler like BarelyAWake used for his trike build and work the front suspension and steering into the build.

I was looking around with the idea of building one when I came across motorized bicycles.

Steve.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

I know having been a microcar/ foreign car nut for years. Been around long enough to remember them selling off the last off the Isettas for $375 just to get rid of them.

Just saying if you don't have pedals you can't put it on the road legally unless you register it as a car and that would open up a world of bureaucratic nightmares.

Steve.

I bought a 'barn find' 1957 Isetta years ago for $40!! The body was immaculate -- red with a cream colored sunroof. It only had 12K miles.

I spent an entire summer rewiring that car because the rats had eaten them all. The u-joints/donut joints had completely rotted. Couldn't find any at the time, so I ended up making some out of the sidewall of a tire. They looked remarkably like the rag joints used on our bikes!!

Ah, the memories of '79!

LEX

Aug 13, 2009
Twin Falls, ID

the guy who built the Moonbeam micro car registered it as a motorcycle due to its 3 wheels.
http://home.myfairpoint.net/vze6omtd/jorysquibb/id1.html

but you do raise a good point, mabey best to keep pedals for not registering and all

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Lex,
That is a fantastic build. Thank you for posting it. My whole thought about building one is to get away from having to have a motorcycle license or anything to do with involving the government in any way.

Where I live in Canada the province supplies the auto insurance. You purchase it from private sellers or right from the provincial government office where you get your drivers license, register a vehicle, transfer ownership ect. They sell the plates as well so it's one stop shopping but they have more do's and can't do's than any one person needs.
That's why I talk about keeping it a bicycle. When they stop you it's a no brainer because you are pedaling along if you wish and should it get pushed into court you are totally legal.

Just looked up the rules and you just need a regular drivers license to ride a scooter. :) If you were to get a trashed scooter with papers you just might get away with modifications so long as it has three wheels. I'll have to stop at the insurance company I deal with and ask. If the cops around here see a Messerschmidt like car going down the road they will be all over it like butter on hot toast.

Having seen the one you posted though it is a good argument to have a motorcycle license so you can carry a passenger though you can with a scooter too.

Steve.