question

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Now you may have heard this question before but I doubt it. If so just pass on the warmed over information to me.

I saw a item on ebay the other night. It is a torque converter for a hub motor. It took me a minute of studying it to figure it out what the heck it did. It is a piece of metal with a square hole cut in it. I remembered that the hub motor has a square shoulder on the motor to prevent it from slipping in the fork. This thing evidently was for a fork that did not have square cutouts. It also had a hole to bolt it to the fork and a hose clamp if it couldn't be bolted. One or the other so it wouldn't move.

Now my problem is I need such a thing if I am going to use my shackle extensions on a bike. Yes I could probably cut them out but I wondered would the brake lever from a coaster brake wheel fit over the motor. It has the square hole I would need, but would it be the correct size. Does anybody know before I take my hub off to try it.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
Coaster brake hole is a different size. I tried it sometime back and it wouldn't fit but you could grind it to make it bigger. I was just checkin at the time out of curiosity cause I had one laying around. B.T.W What are shackle extensions? Oh the thing you put the back wheels in?

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Now you may have heard this question before but I doubt it. If so just pass on the warmed over information to me.

I saw a item on ebay the other night. It is a torque converter for a hub motor. It took me a minute of studying it to figure it out what the heck it did. It is a piece of metal with a square hole cut in it. I remembered that the hub motor has a square shoulder on the motor to prevent it from slipping in the fork. This thing evidently was for a fork that did not have square cutouts. It also had a hole to bolt it to the fork and a hose clamp if it couldn't be bolted. One or the other so it wouldn't move.

Now my problem is I need such a thing if I am going to use my shackle extensions on a bike. Yes I could probably cut them out but I wondered would the brake lever from a coaster brake wheel fit over the motor. It has the square hole I would need, but would it be the correct size. Does anybody know before I take my hub off to try it.
I think what you were looking at is a torque arm for the electric motor. Here's a boat-load of information on torque arms and some alternate designs:

http://www.ebikes.ca/torque_arms/

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks guys I will have to increase the size of the hole with my handy dandy angle grinder.

What I did was take a twenty inch fork and add half of a 6" L Shelf bracket to each side. It allowed me to put a 24" and maybe 26" wheel in the fork. Makes for a really short trike.

I just like big wheel looking trikes.

The middle bolt hole is used for the fork end and the bottom for the axle. Then I drilled a 1/4 hole in the fork wing to be sure it didn't accidentally drop out. I plan to use this design for my next trike it won't have pedals since I seldom use them now.

Not only do I have terrible balance and the trike keeps me upright most of the time, but it also allows me to carry SLA batteries. I have a deal worked out with the park where I fish. I can charge my batteries free while I fish so I don't have to carry so much weight.

Last edited:

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I was wondering what you did to those forks. Hard to tell from the pic.That's really a good idea the way you did that rear end.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I can't take much credit for it. There was an article a few years about about an international design for a bicycle trailer. One that could be made of anything and used in under developed countries.

I copied their design and used angle iron rails instead of bamboo. Of course mine is holding up my chubby butt rather than a bag of rice.

My dad always said if you find a good idea steal it.