GoldenMotor.com

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
http://flbikelaw.org/2011/06/motorized-bicycles-5/
http://flbikelaw.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/DMV.pdf
This is what I have found out, apparently if it's gas operated
it's illegal period as of june 2011 as noted in above PDF
Drivers License or not unless it's registered (which it can't be.)
Just one more reason I would never even visit Florida, to restrictive
for my taste.

Question

Jerry asked: I’m trying to find out about Florida law on bicycles with a gas power-assist engine prior to buying one.

a. Do the rules vary by county? I’ve heard that is ok, simply follow the rules of the road, have a headlight and tail light, and be over 16 years of age. No insurance or registering is required.

b. I’ve seen two bicycles for sale, one with a 48cc engine, and the other with a 66cc engine. Would both engines be ok to ride on the street?

c. Can you kindly refer me to a website link that further explains or reviews this?
Answer

The vehicle you describe does not fit the legal definition of “bicycle”, since a “motorized bicycle” has an electric helper motor.

A bicycle with a gas assist motor is not legal on the roadway or the sidewalk. It is not a bicycle, a moped, nor a motorcycle. See this post for additional information about mopeds.

Additional information can be found at this DHSMV link. Below is a question and answer from that site.

hope this helps:)

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
also I have zero vested interest in this but it came up recently
and I decided to do some research, I won't argue with anybody on this subject
just trying to be helpful and get the facts straight, if you have something to
add feel free others I'm sure will jump in, but this is far as I'm going!
Ron R :)

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
also I have zero vested interest in this but it came up recently
and I decided to do some research, I won't argue with anybody on this subject
just trying to be helpful and get the facts straight, if you have something to
add feel free others I'm sure will jump in, but this is far as I'm going!
Ron R :)
Hi Desert,
I'm Jerry in your first post! :)

Thanks for clarifying.
My "Moped" got "grandfathered in" prior to June 8, 2011.

I'm guessing it still can be "legally done", as proven by myself and more recently other motorized bicycle riders who JUST registered. (it can be searched)

IF I had deep pockets AND I was insane, i'd put the Law to the test, and see if a local officer would give me any tickets...

Overall, I guess its a waste of an officers time to deal with this issue, as long as the driver of the gas motorized bicycle isn't doing anything stupid.

Thank you.
Respectfully,
- WorksmanFL

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
There seems to be a difference between a bicycle with a gas motor on it and a homemade moped..
The difference?
The tag office you go to and their view of what you have.
If there were inspections made, it might make a difference.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
From all that I've ever read on Florida law you must qualify as a moped. Must have peddles, under 50 cc, no manual clutching, operator can't shift gears after primary drive is engaged.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Can you show how you have your front and rear directionals setup and how you have a brake light setup, I'm curious as to how that's done and what it looks like.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
*** Sounds of crickets chirping***

When do I get to see how directionals and a brake light get setup on a homemade moped...

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
Is that what YOU use?!?!?
LOL.. Epic FAIL!!
(Those are the most horribly manufactured devices)
I've had those before..
They work for about a week, if that. The brake light works with a little switch that goes in the rear brake line (OR front).. (They also use up batteries, likes there's no tomorrow.)

If ya don't hit the line that its on, it doesn't work.. And they are almost impossible to see from more than 50' away.. Even at that distance, you only see a blinking light and don't know which direction it's flashing towards.
They are definitely not DOT approved and are not legal for a moped. (I've tried, trust me).. So if that's what you're using, you're not legal. They are also only for the rear, there is no setup for the front, because there are NO front directionals with the unit (also needed for legality sake). Although, you COULD use TWO of them, and then rewire it so that both work off of the same L/R switch and also splice the two brake lines (F/R) together, so that pressing either brake line would actuate the rear brake light.

Anyone planning on using those, DON'T! They are quite useless and break easily.
Prove me wrong about the ability to see them, either during bright daylight hours or night from more than 50' away. I know I'm not wrong as I've used them myself and were basically useless.
From the lack of any REAL pictures or video of their use (and not stock photos or video from the manufacturer), leads me to believe that you don't use them yourself, as you would know what I'm talking about. If you ARE using them, why would you be hesitant to show us how "well" they work?
Oh and the "horn", is a joke.. It's no louder than a (crappy) cell phone.. There is NO WAY, that another vehicle on the road, would be able to hear it. Trust me on this.

The only thing going for you, is the fact that the DMV doesn't actually do inspections in the state of Florida, as you fully well know, that they would NEVER allow a "motor vehicle type" (re:homemade) moped out on the roads with such substandard safety equipment.

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
Is that what YOU use?!?!?
LOL.. Epic FAIL!!
(Those are the most horribly manufactured devices)
I've had those before..
They work for about a week, if that. The brake light works with a little switch that goes in the rear brake line (OR front).. (They also use up batteries, likes there's no tomorrow.)

If ya don't hit the line that its on, it doesn't work.. And they are almost impossible to see from more than 50' away.. Even at that distance, you only see a blinking light and don't know which direction it's flashing towards.
They are definitely not DOT approved and are not legal for a moped. (I've tried, trust me).. So if that's what you're using, you're not legal. They are also only for the rear, there is no setup for the front, because there are NO front directionals with the unit (also needed for legality sake). Although, you COULD use TWO of them, and then rewire it so that both work off of the same L/R switch and also splice the two brake lines (F/R) together, so that pressing either brake line would actuate the rear brake light.

Anyone planning on using those, DON'T! They are quite useless and break easily.
Prove me wrong about the ability to see them, either during bright daylight hours or night from more than 50' away. I know I'm not wrong as I've used them myself and were basically useless.
From the lack of any REAL pictures or video of their use (and not stock photos or video from the manufacturer), leads me to believe that you don't use them yourself, as you would know what I'm talking about. If you ARE using them, why would you be hesitant to show us how "well" they work?
Oh and the "horn", is a joke.. It's no louder than a (crappy) cell phone.. There is NO WAY, that another vehicle on the road, would be able to hear it. Trust me on this.

The only thing going for you, is the fact that the DMV doesn't actually do inspections in the state of Florida, as you fully well know, that they would NEVER allow a "motor vehicle type" (re:homemade) moped out on the roads with such substandard safety equipment.
You seem very knowledgeable, what do you use or suggest?

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
I suggest a normal set of blinker lights, front and rear (like they sell ALL over eBay).
You can buy a blinker relay at your local auto store and buy a "switch clutch" on eBay that has light switches, blinker switches, etc. everything you need to control lights, etc.
You can buy a rear tail/brake light at the auto store as well. You can buy an electric brake handle and hook it up to the tail light.

You still didn't answer my question about what you use and give a real world example of it, in working condition.
(I know you don't use that item, you linked to, or you would have shown a pic of it on your moped.)

Nor have I, in person, seen anyone EVER show a working set of blinkers (F and R) and brake light.
To be honest, In my opinion, it's all smoke and mirrors, these (legal) "homemade mopeds".
I think they're just glorified bicycles with gas motors.

Last edited:

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL
I suggest a normal set of blinker lights, front and rear (like they sell ALL over eBay).
You can buy a blinker relay at your local auto store and buy a "switch clutch" on eBay that has light switches, blinker switches, etc. everything you need to control lights, etc.
You can buy a rear tail/brake light at the auto store as well. You can buy an electric brake handle and hook it up to the tail light.

You still didn't answer my question about what you use and give a real world example of it, in working condition.
(I know you don't use that item, you linked to, or you would have shown a pic of it on your moped.)

Nor have I, in person, seen anyone EVER show a working set of blinkers (F and R) and brake light.
To be honest, In my opinion, it's all smoke and mirrors, these (legal) "homemade mopeds".
a. (re: last sentence above)
---> OK, If so, what is your point and your beef or concern?

b. (re: "You still didn't answer my question about what you use and give a real world example of it, in working condition.
(I know you don't use that item, you linked to, or you would have shown a pic of it on your moped.)")
---> Do me a favor DO NOT SPEAK for ME. I DO USE them, an yes, it IS more of a "toy" than anything else. I tried to post pics months prior, but i'm a little computer illiterate as my pics don't post b/c the file is too big.

c. Thank you for sharing the general electric lights info. Do you have a gas motorized bicycle or electric motorized bicycle with all the lights and directional's in place? Can you post your pics? What bike do you have? Kindly copy/ paste the links as to what you are referring to as I would like to upgrade my lights overall.

-WorksmanFL

worksmanFL

May 25, 2010
Palm Coast, FL

X,
here is a recent build on here by a fellow MBer that has been LEGALLY Registered. (see post #64):

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?36368-Florida-Laws&p=359478#post359478

Stress your point all you want, NOT DOT this, that and the other... regardless of that being correct or not, people have gotten their Gas motorized bicycle Registered.

That's my point. That's all. DONE.

Add:
OPS - No disrespect meant, my paste is from the other forum. Please let me know if I need to do anything on my side to make things right if need be. My sincere apologies if I did wrong by doing this. Respectfully, WorksmanFL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Federal Law:

In the United States, federal law governing ICE motorized bicycles is subject to interpretative rulings by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) at the U.S. Department of Transportation. Under current NHTSA rules, a "motor-driven cycle" (a definition that includes a two-wheel vehicle such as a bicycle with an add-on ICE engine of five brake horsepower or less) and a speed capability of more than 20 miles per hour lacks both a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and standard onroad safety equipment such as mirrors, turn signal lamps, side marker lamps, and stop lamps, then the vehicle shall not be considered a "motor vehicle" as defined by DOT/NHTSA regulations, but instead is defined as an off-road vehicle (since the lack of a VIN and on-road equipment indicates that a vehicle was not manufactured primarily for use on public roads.)[23] Such off-road vehicles are considered to be neither motor vehicles nor motorcycles, as those terms are defined under federal law.[23] Under present-day NHTSA rules, the final decision as to whether such federally defined off-road vehicles may be legally operated on public roads is determined by the laws of the state in which the vehicle is being operated.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
How can any bicycle be street legal with simple bicycle lights and reflectors and then all of a sudden be considered an "Off Road Vehicle" as soon as you bolt an engine to it? It can only be the "No VIN#" excuse reasoning, cause nothing else makes any sense. LMAO

Last edited:

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
:-||
How can any bicycle be street legal with simple bicycle lights and reflectors and then all of a sudden be considered an "Off Road Vehicle" as soon as you bolt an engine to it? It can only be the "No VIN#" excuse reasoning, cause nothing else makes any sense. LMAO
Because when you add a motor that adds way more torque than the bicycle is manufactured for, it creates issues. Stress fractures, less stopping power, etc.

SpecialX

May 1, 2012
Florida
a. (re: last sentence above)
---> OK, If so, what is your point and your beef or concern?

b. (re: "You still didn't answer my question about what you use and give a real world example of it, in working condition.
(I know you don't use that item, you linked to, or you would have shown a pic of it on your moped.)")
---> Do me a favor DO NOT SPEAK for ME. I DO USE them, an yes, it IS more of a "toy" than anything else. I tried to post pics months prior, but i'm a little computer illiterate as my pics don't post b/c the file is too big.

c. Thank you for sharing the general electric lights info. Do you have a gas motorized bicycle or electric motorized bicycle with all the lights and directional's in place? Can you post your pics? What bike do you have? Kindly copy/ paste the links as to what you are referring to as I would like to upgrade my lights overall.

-WorksmanFL
Had a gas bike.. Upgraded to a motorcycle.
Way more fun!

Just look up any motorcycle blinkers on eBay.. There's a MILLION of them out there!!

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Because when you add a motor that adds way more torque than the bicycle is manufactured for, it creates issues. Stress fractures, less stopping power, etc.
There is not 1 regulation regarding the bike frame strength, what the frame is composed of metal wise, or weld quality. Not 1. Motorcycles are just as deadly now as they were 60 years ago. That's because nobody or no agency cares. LMAO

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

Dirt bikes, quadrunners and pocket bikes are not considered "Motor Vehicles" by NHTSA so they are are not subject to any safety regulations by NHTSA cause they are for "off road only". So if you ride in the dirt, anything goes basically. If you kill yourself or you bike falls apart, then it's your fault. Nobody cares. LOL

I did find a NHTSA PDF online dated Feb. 2000 and "motor driven bicycles" are considered Motor Driven Cycles which are considered Motor Vehicles subject to individual state regulations as they see fit.