had police come to inspect bike and

GoldenMotor.com

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
he did not know what to do ,he said theres no vin to check , i said you can use the bike serial number or the state assigns you a vin and plate , he said its not a moped so you should not need a plate , i kept telling him in Michigan you got to get it classed as a moped , then he said well until i go to secretary of state and confirm that you need a plate and registration then he cannot inspect it .but he kept saying that its not a moped and did not want me or him to get into trouble until he was 100% sure i needed a plate , but i said people all over usa are having probs with police about if legal or not legal and was saying its a nice bike as well lol , while we was talking he did look at the bike and look at the list list for inspection , but said if i have to get it inspected then
1/i got 2 cree5 with 14500 battery in , he said he not sure if that be legal as for headlights and might have to read up on it ???i said well one for low beam and one for high beam , but i not be riding it at night , (will they be ok as headlights????)

2/he said i need to have a license plate light , anyone who lives in Michigan and got there plates how did you make a license plate light????

3/ he said something about tires saying they need more tread on them ok are these tries ok

here's the lights i am using first pic and front and back tires other pics ,
is this ok to past inspection if needed and as anyone else in Michigan got these lights and a plate ??

i posted this is another forum as i need people from Michigan to see it as well and hope help me out as well as info from other popel as well
ty.

[URL="

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
went to Secretary of state to get info on what i need to get registered or not women at info desk did not know what to do but gave us a registering a moped form the sos 430 and said does your bike have these following points like under 2.0 hp, under 100cc etc etc (out of date as it says not exceed 50cc piston but one online the new one says 100cc ) i said yes but , told us to phone Lansing main office up for more info,
so we went home phoned them up and they said all i need was the sos 430 form and bill of sale
and as for the vin number i can use the serial of the bike .i said what about an inspection the women said don't need one .
so i am still baffled that some people had to have inspection and other filled in different forms so next Friday (wife got to re do her plates car then as well we going to go and try reg the bike and see what happens ) and yes tom they said i will a sticker .so i spent $6 on some plate lights for nothing heheh .hope i get this sorted as its very frustrating.

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Let me know how it goes! The whole point of the VIN is that it follows the bike no matter what the frame # is. So if you ever wreck your frame you can swap every part over to a new frame and not have to re-register the thing. If they will let you use the serial of the frame though, it sounds like a few less hoops to jump through.

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
i sure will wightboy , and yes using the serial for bike not as good as a proper vin but at this stage i take what i can to get it regestered and if anything happens in future sort it then.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i was told before i left michigan that they would give me a vin number during inspection and engrave into the bike (at my expense of course) i had to talk to a lot of different people at dmv before i got someone that understood the requirements to license a motorized bicycle. i moved the virgin islands and never followed thru with anything

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
i was told before i left michigan that they would give me a vin number during inspection and engrave into the bike (at my expense of course) i had to talk to a lot of different people at dmv before i got someone that understood the requirements to license a motorized bicycle.
thats what i am saying ,the women at main sos office double checked and said all i need was this 430 form and bill of sale ,no inspection etc ,very confused still seen as other people in Michigan had to get inspected have vin number etc etc , well i just find out next Friday .i got the time and day and womens name hope they record the call .

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Good grief. It's really clear as mud.
1.) you need to follow this and so do the police and SoS: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/BFS-72__09-03__83315_7.pdf

That will get the ball rolling with inspection forms, receipts, and whatever else.

2.) you will need this: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

3.) and this: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS_Moped_App_R-2L_220299_7.pdf

The police will inspect the bike to the moped requirements, not the motorcycle requirements. You don't need a plate light, driving lights, or turn signals. They can make the call if they think the bike is unsafe (like your tires) though. This: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

Which also addresses the headlights. 200'. Turn them on at night and measure how far out they illuminate the road.

In a few weeks you will get an adhesive backed plate that says"ASSEMBLED MOPED" as part of the VIN. There's another step in there where you fill out a brief description of the build. You will get that form from the SoS also.

Not a big surprise that the SoS or police don't know the process since not many actually bother to register their bikes. Larger offices are more familiar (like in Grand Rapids) just because of the population size. More people here actually register like maybe three or four of us....

Last edited:

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
harold ty for all the info but why did the lansing office not tell me all this , there one of the main offices and should know , you say i dont need plate light but on the tr54 form says plate light , and the police man said i not got one i cannot tell him i dont need one when its there in black and white ?, i had someone come inspect the bike and went away as they did not understand what he was there for and i had the tr 54 form with me and tried to explain to him . but now the Lansing office said i need the 430 form and bill of sale , and double checked i said was pedal assisted bike and need no inspection ,i will copy what you put Harold and take it with me Friday and if cannot get it as with just 430 form and bill of sale then i show them your post .

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Tr54 form covers both motorcycles and mopeds. The link that I included without a numbered bullet covers what is required for a moped. No license plate light mentioned there. The people in the GR SoS office looked up the procedure in a big book. Not sure if that is issued by the state or they are really organized. If they don't have a clue in Lansing have them call the SoS office in Kentwood/Grand Rapids at Eastbrook Mall and ask how it is done.

Good luck.

ProDigit

Mar 27, 2013
Miami, FL
Generally I'd say, DON'T make an issue, if you don't have one.
Leave it like that!

If a cop wants to be a d!ck and stops you, and the law is unclear, you can push it. But otherwise, don't make an issue.
It'll allow others more freedom.
And what difference does it make if someone has to ride a crappy slow 49cc, when he can ride a 66cc BBK that accelerates with traffic?

oldpot

Jun 21, 2012
MICHIGAN
having car probs could not get to sos friday hope going this afternoon (Tuesday)i let you know how i got on .

ok now i more frustrated than ever.

went to secretary of state with bill of sale and the 430 form lansing sos said i needed '
women looked at forms i show her a pic of bike , she went to see the manager of the sos came back 10 mins later saying they cannot register it as a moped as its not a moped its a assisted pedal bike , i said other people in mi have got to registered she said that's different area than us and might have diffent polices ???printed a sheet out( rv section m page 25) quote (cannot issue a moped due unless it as all the required equipment listed above ) lights etc i got them but she said its not a moped ?? (it is left to local units of government to regulate any use of these small motorized vehicles )what ever that means

sooo i came out with nothing and i keeping all the papers i got for if i do get pulled over and tell them what sos and police said as i dont know what eels to do only what Harold did but then they might not do it ..
still confused .

Last edited: