Using single piston ring

GoldenMotor.com

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Mississauga Ontario Canada
Hey guys, has anyone ever tried using just a single piston ring on there chinese ht engine? Im considering giving it a shot to get higher rpms. Good idea? Bad Idea? any advice on this idea would be appreciated

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Well then my question is, what would be the problem with only running one ring? I just dont fully understand this and im a curious guy :p I just thought I should ask for knowledge on the forum before I went ahead and tried it.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I was thinking of doing the same thing. I got this motor from my friend in Calif. for 20 dollars but he took it apartto see what it looked like and he broke a ring when took a apart. I ported it and put it back togather with one ring. I have seen singal ring pistons on motors before and don't why it won't work. I don't think it will help with RPMs though.

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Treatland sell a piston with a single ring piston for a 47mm bore but I don't know if it will work in a 66cc motor but it looks interesting.

Frogster

Jan 18, 2013
Anyone who has experience doing this can pitch in! Im pretty sure foureasy tried it back when he was more active on here. I think I originally heard about using one ring from reading one of his threads.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Did it on my first engine after I took it apart for the first time, and didn't realize the rings hadda be put back properly. I broke one, and decided to risk it by running on one until I got a replacement. I opted to keep the top ring in since it'd provide higher albeit nearly identical compression than putting it in the lower slot. Anyway, I got a week and about 150 miles outta it before my replacement arrived. There was noticeably lower compression (and therefore power), and I was concerned that the piston-skirt would abrade the cylinder-wall. That didn't happen, although the piston showed heavy blow-by carbonization.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
China Girls already run higher rpm than is good for them, unless it's a 50. Almost any 80 will turn more than 7000 rpm. Don't spend much time up there if you want your motor to last very long.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I once got stuck using a non stock piston in a Can-Am motor that had three rings instead of two like the original, and it gave a noticeable increase in power from better compression. It was much harder to kick and ran like stink with the extra ring. The extra friction was more than offset by the compression increase over the worn stocker.

Reactions: javy mcdees

blckwlfny1

Jul 14, 2010
new york
can someone please tell me why the DeNardis motors run only ONE piston ring though?
and because it does, what are the chances of shaving off a bit if the head to increase compression?

Reactions: TheSignGuy

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
80s batavus moped......done by accident when one broke installing.... Left it out....approx 5 mph gain...guess it was reduced friction and I don't remember which ring remained...upper or lower

Reactions: TheSignGuy

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
I've been running a single ring for about two month with out any problems and has lot of compression. The only reason I tried it was because when got the motor it had a broken ring and I only paid 20 bucks for it. Before I put back together I did some porting work on it, I opened up the transfer ports and some exhaust port a little. This motor runs real good. A lot of 2 stroke racing pistons use one ring they don't have any problem with compression. I'm didn't do this to get more RPMs. I did it just try it and so far no problems. When I take the motor apart I see if there were any problems.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It can work, but why bother risking it for such tiny gains?
If you need more power that badly, the china girl will never make you happy.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I raced an engine from a builder that ran 1 ring. he ran the top one, basically he said to reduce friction therefore the chrome coating would last a longer, and less friction= more power. When the engine was taken apart there was blow by. This engine was rebuilt after every race, which had about 2 hours of race and practice time on it. rebuilt means new ring, piston, crank bearings, wristpin, wristpin bearing, c-clips, gaskets. yep it was a China P.O.S.

also taking material off the top of the piston will lower compression, the only reason I think it should be done is to correct exhaust port timing. if you want to increase compression you can get sandpaper and place it on a piece of glass then get your head and sand material off the mating surface, this can also clean up some of the imperfections just make sure it is flat

survive1990

May 14, 2013
tucson
well one ring would cause less drag....ive tryed that on my geoped and it gave it 2 mph gain not much but something...but on these engines idnk

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
I would think that if only one ring was installed how would the engine get it's compression and exhaust stroke with all that pressure being ported through the slot in the ring. I guess that is why you make sure the slot doesn't line up with the other ring when you replace them....Just my 2 cents